Best signing so far?

Best Signing so far this season?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Who has been the best signing this season?

• Mark Oxley
    • Genseric Kasunga
    • Sidney Schmeltz
    • Korey Smith
    • Adam Rooney
    • Charlie MacDonald
    • Jonson Clarke-Harris
    • Anton Rodgers
    • Matteo Lanzoni
    • James Dayton
    • Danny Philliskirk
    • Paul Rachubka

With us coming up to the festive period and having played 19 league games. I was wondering who everyone thought is the best signing we've made this season.

I've gone for Danny Philliskirk, he brings a lot to the team, he's very energetic and seemingly very level-headed on the field. He brings a certain calmness on the pitch and can even score a goal or two.

I think Korey Smith, Dayton and Lanzoni run him close though - all good players. Also like what i've seen of JCH so far, can tell that he will become a better player as time progresses.

So, if you had to pick one, who would it be?

Not having Lanzoni at all, marking is poor (see Chesterfield for a recent example) and crossing isn't that great. He Isn't particularly fast either. Would rater have Kusunga right back whos mych better marauding forwards and Grounds in the middle with Tarky to give us that composure

I like that all of our signings are on longer contracts, some with options. This is a tough choice.

At first I voted for Kusunga because he was the player we were crying out for most at the start of the season, I mean, who would've wanted a season with Mellor at centre-back...but for performance level it's between Danny P and Korey Smith. I'd go for Korey as it's easy to forget he's only 22 with his presence on the pitch - I just wish he'd advance forwards more often.

I'm a big fan of Dayton and JCH who have and will improve continuously for as long as we have them. Charlie MacDonald, who I noted as potentially our most questionable signing at the start of the year, has also impressed me hugely when he's been able to play.

Only criticism of the signings is that many of them are injury prone. It's no good having a good bunch of players - which I think we do, credit to both LJ and Dickov on that front - if you can't get 10 or 11 of them fit for each match. Not utilising Rooney correctly is another issue I have.

It'll be interested to see LJ forge this side into his own with next season's transfer window. If we're going to challenge for the play-offs, next season will be the one in my opinion.

Edited by NewBlue

Was tempted to go for Philly for the impact he has made, but I honestly think that Smith is the best signing of all. No question. What he is doing in League 1, God only knows, but well done LJ in getting him. I don't think many other League 1 managers would have pulled it off.

Pretty mixed bag there, to be expected I suppose when you're shopping in ze bargain basement.

Wouldn't be surprised if we did something with Rooney come January though, be it a loan or swap deal with someone.

Call me an optimist if you like but I have a feeling that Rooney will come good in the 2nd half of the season.

If he doesn't then maybe in the summer we should think about moving him on but i think January would be too early, especially as other than MacDonald (who we can't really rely on staying fit) we haven't got any other experienced players up top.

Call me an optimist if you like but I have a feeling that Rooney will come good in the 2nd half of the season.

If he doesn't then maybe in the summer we should think about moving him on but i think January would be too early, especially as other than MacDonald (who we can't really rely on staying fit) we haven't got any other experienced players up top.

We should also remember we as a club and set of fans gave often been hasty to write off strikers who have gone on to have very good careers and good transfer fees. He may not be living up to expectations but he still has 7 goals and there is plenty of time left for things to get better.

There is a severe lack of patience in football these days.