• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He split opinions with the people I sit with. One called him a 'donkey' which I challenged.

I must say I like what I saw in this lad. Granted the baggage he comes with from Scotland is a bit of a belly and the reports of lazyness were on show at times when he lost the ball (confirmed on LTV) however his TOUCH, STRENGTH and AWARNESS was lovely at times. He was looking to move the ball FORWARDS! and looked for little 1-2-1's on a few separate occasions.

Thats the sort of crap that winds me up with Latics fans (and it is quite a large number who do it). He's had a comfortable half hour against a top 4 Prem club, having signed on friday, and people already judge him. Whoever called him a donkey should be banned, and is probably one of the Main Stand Massive who dont attend away games, and only attend home games to boo our own players.

Whoever called him a donkey should be banned, and is probably one of the Main Stand Massive who dont attend away games, and only attend home games to boo our own players.

I get your sentiments but the person who called him a donkey quite clearly has been to an away game!!!

Just been speaking to my Bury supporting boss, he was gutted when I said we had Worrall, their best player last year. He did then wonder what the hell is going on at Rotherham as Bury have Nardiello and Rotherham have sent quite a few others out on loan, possible money issues?

Possibility of players not wanting to play for an over agressive manager?? We aren't talking about 2 fringe players here either?

Very nice from him today.

Certainly not a "lazy" display.

A very promising display playing as the withdrawn striker / in the hole.

As his match fitness, match sharpness improves - it looks like he'll have a growing influence.

Really? I thought there were flashes but he was anonymous in the second half.

Certainly not consistently in the game over the 70 or so minutes he played.

He's still settling in, so I won't right him off, especially when he went up to JCH after he skied one in the first half, perhaps a captain figure in disguise?

Looked very good to me. The big heavy forward we required who isn't easily knocked off the ball. Can only get better.

Harkins lost possession quite a lot I thought, but he has that creativity the team has been missing, pity he could only create for one front- the ineffective Clarke-Harris.

It didn't help though with the number of times Grounds in particular pumped it up in the air to him, no chance against the giant Stevenage centre backs.

Excellent game from Mellor, he's been up against two out and out wingers in the last couple of matches and performed admirably.

If LJ wants the team to play this way at home he needs to bring in a centre forward like Conor Sammon.

Edited by BP1960

Harkins lost possession quite a lot I thought, but he has that creativity the team has been missing, pity he could only create for one front- the ineffective Clarke-Harris.

It didn't help though with the number of times Grounds in particular pumped it up in the air to him, no chance against the giant Stevenage centre backs.

Excellent game from Mellor, he's been up against two out and out wingers in the last couple of matches and performed admirably.

If LJ wants the team to play this way at home he needs to bring in a centre forward like Conor Sammon.

Grounds is guilty of just lumping it forward most weeks!

I suppose I didn't note how much he lost possession so fair play BP. I do think it would have been a different score line if Charlie M or Rooney would have been on. JCH was not plugged in today at all.

When rooney is 'supplied' with that big hoof from the back he usually gets called slow and useless! We saw today that jch can't handle it either - maybe instead we need to feed balls into channels for whoever is ' up top' to run onto!

But a great result against a team of rugby players.

He's played roughly 90 minutes for us. In that time he has failed to find a blue shirt on only 2 occasions, the last of which was a tired cross just before he was subbed. Been very impressed with him, he's like a bigger Jose, but with the added nouse you get with a bit more experience.

I think playing MacDonald or possibly Rooney ahead of him could be a very productive avenue for us. JCH and Philliskirk I'm not so sure because they like to drift out wide, but they offer positives in other areas.

He's played roughly 90 minutes for us. In that time he has failed to find a blue shirt on only 2 occasions, the last of which was a tired cross just before he was subbed. Been very impressed with him, he's like a bigger Jose, but with the added nouse you get with a bit more experience.

I think playing MacDonald or possibly Rooney ahead of him could be a very productive avenue for us. JCH and Philliskirk I'm not so sure because they like to drift out wide, but they offer positives in other areas.

I agree, he did pass the ball well, but by the nature of how he plays he will concede possession at times, the manager is prepared to accept that it seems.

Rooney or McDonald might be better bet up front, but today the majority of balls played by others were in the air to the striker, surely that can't have been an instruction?

Edited by BP1960

Really? I thought there were flashes but he was anonymous in the second half.

Certainly not consistently in the game over the 70 or so minutes he played.

He's still settling in, so I won't right him off, especially when he went up to JCH after he skied one in the first half, perhaps a captain figure in disguise?

You wont right him off after 1 game and 70odd minutes? Thats good of you.

We watched a completely different game today it seems - for a 15/20 spell in the second half, Harkins was the games outstanding player, so far from being anonymous its untrue.

But hey ho, each to their own.

You wont right him off after 1 game and 70odd minutes? Thats good of you.

We watched a completely different game today it seems - for a 15/20 spell in the second half, Harkins was the games outstanding player, so far from being anonymous its untrue.

But hey ho, each to their own.

I'm with you Sly. Had he not arrived with a lazy luxury type player tag, people would be raving about his performance today. Considering he hasn't had a lot of first team action of late, hence the loan, he could turn out to be the dog's bollox. He isn't going to run about like Wes, not many do, but I pay my entrance money in the hope of being entertained.

Welcome to Latics Gary. Impressive full debut.

Edited by Break The Silence

I'm with you Sly. Had he not arrived with a lazy luxury type player tag, people would be raving about his performance today. Considering he hasn't had a lot of first team action of late, hence the loan, he could turn out to be the dog's bollox. He isn't going to run about like Wes, not many do, but I pay my entrance money in the hope of being entertained.

Welcome to Latics Gary. Impressive full debut.

Indeed.

The "lazy" tag is a strange one; as - i'd say, his game today was anything but lazy. He put one heck of a shift in actually.

Looks to me like a quality addition, who will only get better with more fitness work.

He put in a good shift today,looked like he was running through treacle but that's only to be expected at the moment. Very good touch, can see what people mean about him looking like a bigger fatter slightly-geriatric-looking Baxter. What? That's a compliment.