I'd like to agree with this. However I think Harkins playing in a centre midfield role wouldn't necessarily mean lack of defensive solidity and an increased goals against column, but more a lack of general solidity in the middle. It's all very well having a player in there but if we can't get a good hold of the ball in order to supply and support him he'll be neither use nor ornament and we'll both concede more and score less, if possible.

You will never now until you try these tactical changes, the training ground is a place where it can be tried out, which I imagine LJ does anyway.

Edited by BP1960

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will never now until you try these tactical changes, the training ground is a place where it can be tried out, which I imagine LJ does anyway.

It's true that that's the only definitive way of knowing. You could argue that the system was proved underwhelming when Baxter was played there, admittedly with different players around him.

Edited by LaticsChris

Why does Harkins have to start? Why not have DP and Charlie Mac up top? Or DP and Clarke Harris, we comfortably beat Shrewsbury/Mansfield, drew at Cov and Sheff U in games we could have won without Harkins. With him in the team weve beaten a poor Stevenage 1-0 in a dour game and lost on Saturday. Bring him on with 30 to go like Walsall when he seemed to make a nuisance of himself. On Saturday he was pish poor.

LJ puts our top scorer{ philly} out wide for ages now, and guess what ?he stopped scoring, we obviously don,t need his goals or have someone better up top, LJ is losing the plot, quite a few now playing out of position

Which is one thing LJ said he wouldn't do play sqauare pegs in round holes

DP is a striker and he's scored a few goals this season but now hes being played out wide. His attributes don't suggest he is a winger so why play him there - frustrating

I still think Johnson is trying to do the right things but we do seem to be chopping and changing too much and I am not sure what Harkins will bring to the table - ability on the ball but I don't think hes a goal scorer and playing him behind the striker leaves us short up top as we don't have a dominant target man or the pace to support them if we win the ball in the opposition half

It's true that that's the only definitive way of knowing. You could argue that the system was proved underwhelming when Baxter was played there, admittedly with different players around him.

I don't think Baxter and Harkins are similar though, Baxter seemed something of an individual, whereas Harkins strikes me as someone who can unlock a defence with a clever pass, time will tell and I'm sure LJ is working on a formation to bring out the best in him.

MOTM performance from the wing.

Can't play him down the middle again after that.

Wow.

Looks like LJ has found the right formation with Harkins on the left flank and Brown and Worrall on the right.

Grounds had an off day though.

Edited by BP1960

Looks like LJ has found the right formation with Harkins on the left flank and Brown and Worrall on the right.

Grounds had an off day though.

Yes, I thought Tarky was a bit off form, possibly distracted.

I'd be starting on Tuesday with the team that finished today, with Harkins out wide.

Harkins was outstanding today in the second half and what absolute spirit that team showed....why oh why not every match. That young un's was how the great Royle side played, wave after wave of attacks. Fantastic turn around and Harkin's at the top of the tree.

I heard a man outside the ground describe Harkins perfectly. 'He's got that old fashioned swagger where he's just able to take it past a man easily'. He couldn't be more right. He's got somthing magic about him. Before he came he had a lazy reputation, but to me he does enough and certainly isn't scared to put himself about. He'll be hit and miss, but when he's playing well he'll be a game-changer, like today.

As for the other signing Worrall, he was the only player in the first half to come out of it with any credit. He's got a cracking cross on him and a decent finish evidently! Loads of quality. I'd love to sign him permanently.