Really? I thought there were flashes but he was anonymous in the second half.

Certainly not consistently in the game over the 70 or so minutes he played.

He's still settling in, so I won't right him off, especially when he went up to JCH after he skied one in the first half, perhaps a captain figure in disguise?

Wow........no really, wow.

My guess is you don't go very often? He took a standing ovation from 99% of the ground today. My guess is you were one of the 1%?

Not the most gifted player, but he ran his bollocks off and when he could do no more, was honest enough to admit he needed subbing.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come April I think we'll be chanting "sign him up" we're bottom half of league one but we're Oldham and appreciate skillful players who want to play football and from what I saw today Harkins is one of them.

Could be. He could even be the new Vic Halom. Big Vic was quality.

Shows quality touches. Intelligent. But this was his debut. Why has he underachieved so much?

He reminds me of a 1970s player without the hair style. Shows ability but, for whatever reason, not a natural 'athlete.' Now, in the '70s it was usually due to crap diet and alcohol.

He's still only 29. Has he been injured?

Yes he's only 29 and doesn't look a day over 50

He looks ungainly at times but he's tough to get the ball off and as you rightly point out he's not a nateual athlete but like Baxter surround him with runners and he will be very effective. If I'm playing with a player like that my first thought would be find some space because if you are in the right position he will find you he's got good vision and technique. With the right players around him he will be effective

Edited by GlossopLatic

Vic Halom my first Latics hero. One of the reasons I've kept the faith for 30 years. Him Simon Stainrod, Andy Ritchie and Jon Bowden.

Vic Halom - one of my first hero's

Simon Stainrod - more of a Rodger Wylde lad myself but most would agree with you

Andy Ritchie - defines the word 'legend'

Jon Bowden - WTF?????? a relative of yours or having a laugh and giggle? :omg:

I was certain that it was Harkins that crossed the ball for Roy Race to head home in in the 1974 FA Cup Final. Hang on, he may have been playing for Tynecaster, in which case, it was a colossal mistake!

Edit: He was better than Blackie Gray.

Edited by L1onheartNew

Vic Halom - one of my first hero's

Simon Stainrod - more of a Rodger Wylde lad myself but most would agree with you

Andy Ritchie - defines the word 'legend'

Jon Bowden - WTF?????? a relative of yours or having a laugh and giggle? :omg:

I thought he ran a lot and quite quickly at Anfield. He's far from immobile, the debate will start when we concede with him standing hands on hips 70 yards away

This is the lazy tag, and I can see it. He rarely chased down when he himself had lost the ball, however his determination to close down with the team was admirable at times. EXCITED by the prospect of watching Harkins at BP, just needed a striker with movement today and we'd have scored at least a couple more. The best description of Gary yesterday was he has fantastic AWARENESS; always knew where others were for glancing flicks, headers etc. and his timing to bring players into the game was class, the reverse pass to Philli being the pick. Couldn't really get his feet working first half but still showed some neat touches. He was the MOM of the 2nd half, along with the fans favourite ? Mellor!

Not sure if he will be a little too 'luxury' away from home, but I'm sure we will find out. Play Charlie Mac's movement in front of him and we'll be alright this season.

Yes he's only 29 and doesn't look a day over 50

He looks ungainly at times but he's tough to get the ball off and as you rightly point out he's not a nateual athlete but like Baxter surround him with runners and he will be very effective. If I'm playing with a player like that my first thought would be find some space because if you are in the right position he will find you he's got good vision and technique. With the right players around him he will be effective

it would have been better to keep baxter than sign baxter "lite", :J said he could.nt find a place for baxter the goes and signs someone to play the same way as him, very strange

it would have been better to keep baxter than sign baxter "lite", :J said he could.nt find a place for baxter the goes and signs someone to play the same way as him, very strange

He's said all along that Baxter, had he stayed, would start on the bench for many games.

I think Harkins will be the same. For a fraction of the price.

Edited by opinions4u

He's said all along that Baxter, had he stayed, would start on the bench for many games.

I'm not having that though. Fair enough Johnson vindicating the decision to sell, but there's no way he wouldn't be getting a game. 10-15 goals a season, possibly as many assists. Whether in the middle, on the wing, behind the forward(s) or up front, he'd be in our starting 11 more often than not.

I'm not having that though. Fair enough Johnson vindicating the decision to sell, but there's no way he wouldn't be getting a game. 10-15 goals a season, possibly as many assists. Whether in the middle, on the wing, behind the forward(s) or up front, he'd be in our starting 11 more often than not.

Probably true, but our top scorer, who already has 10 goals this season, OK only 2 of which were in the league, probably wouldn't still be here either. Same for our Swiss/Angolan defender. It made financial sense to sell Jose, take his relatively substantial wage off our wage bill and get 4 players in. Like O4u has already said, Harkins offers a lot of the same qualities but is cheaper, as does Philliskirk.

LJ will throw out the stats about points per game when Baxter plays (poorer than when he doesn't), compared to when to doesn't play. He'll identify the fitness concerns and the all round team game compared to the moments of genius.

He didn't say Baxter wouldn't start any games. But it was clear that he wouldn't start all games.

Lanzoni *, Kusunga, Philliskirk and now Harkins, Worrall and Lockwood.

I doubt any of them would be at the club if Baxter had stayed.

I rated Baxter. I still do.

But - him leaving was for the better of the squad, and arguably the starting eleven.

It could also be argued that in Danny P; we have a player more effective for the team - at a fraction of the cost. And now Harkins in that same boat also...

Edited by slystallone