Not after the lengths we went to to sign him up a few months earlier.

I reckon it was the opposite and LJ had to sell the idea to Corney.

We also have to remember Baxters performances tailed off and was dropped before he left.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking forward to watching Harkins for 90 minutes on Saturday.

It should be an open game made for his style of play.

(0-0 guaranteed now)

Give him 2 out and out strikers to feed I say Harry, even if it means moving Korey Smith to right back to accommodate this.

Korey Smith at Right Back?

Just say NO kids. Just. Say. No

Not as daft as it sounds.

Right back or not, drop him or Wesolowski to let Harkins create from central midfield with a proper two upfront.

Wes would actually be the better partner.

Yes, Smith is one of our best players but he's having a bit of a Furman effect on us at the moment, in my opinion. [dons helmet]

If he can sell Baxter for the greater good he can drop Smith or move him to right back.

Right back or not, drop him or Wesolowski to let Harkins create from central midfield with a proper two upfront.

Yes, Smith is one of our best players but he's having a bit of a Furman effect on us at the moment, in my opinion. [dons helmet]

If he can sell Baxter for the greater good he can drop Smith or move him to right back.

I never thought I would say this, but Smith to right back could be worth a try, yes he is our best midfielder, but giving Harkins the midfield role alongside Wes could be the key to us scoring goals. Worrall and Dayton outside with Charlie Mc and Danny P upfront.

Disagree having harkins in there. At this level you need 2 players who can tackle. We saw how ineffective baxter was there.

All we need is Smith to come out of his shell and push on.

This for me.

Harkins arrived as an 'in the hole' creator. And, thats what he is.

Baxter, when played in midfield unbalanced us. He didnt tackle or hassle, and for a player of his undoubted quality, rarely effected games from that position. Now; as the 2nd; deeper striker in a 4-4-1-1? It was his position and he excelled in there.

Harkins looks the same.

Playing him in a 4-4-2 or whatever, in midfield, would be surrendering the midfield battle before a ball is even kicked.

He needs to be the deep "1" in a 4-4-1-1, just like Baxter.

Or - as the central "1" of 3 in the formation i prefer: 4-2-3-1.

As a CM partner to either Wes or Smith? Not on your nelly...

This for me.

Baxter, when played in midfield unbalanced us. He didnt tackle or hassle, and for a player of his undoubted quality, rarely effected games from that position. Now; as the 2nd; deeper striker in a 4-4-1-1? It was his position and he excelled in there.

Harkins looks the same.

Harkins isn't fit to lick Baxters arsehole in that role. The only player we should be looking at getting in that role from the current crop is Philliskirk.

I couldn't believe we sold Baxter in the first place : I can't believe it even more now that he's been replaced by Gaz Harkins...

Harkins isn't fit to lick Baxters arsehole in that role. The only player we should be looking at getting in that role from the current crop is Philliskirk.

I couldn't believe we sold Baxter in the first place : I can't believe it even more now that he's been replaced by Gaz Harkins...

We've looked our best going forward with Philiskirk behind MacDonald. I can't believe LJ moved him out wide on Saturday to accommodate Harkins.

I like this.

The one thing Harkins has is vision, but that's wasted if there's no one to latch on to his passes around the penalty area, 2 up front will give him better options.

When the Latics score 4 we won't worry about his defensive shortcomings.

Edited by BP1960

It was becoming piss obvious to anyone that we couldn't fit Baxter into the team when he left. There wasn't even much outcry and despair. Re-writing of history taking place here.

More like the usual owtb play down the quality of a good player when they leave. Baxter should be up front and if he was i am sure we would have about 10 more goals by now at least.

This for me.

Harkins looks the same.

Playing him in a 4-4-2 or whatever, in midfield, would be surrendering the midfield battle before a ball is even kicked.

He needs to be the deep "1" in a 4-4-1-1, just like Baxter.

Or - as the central "1" of 3 in the formation i prefer: 4-2-3-1.

As a CM partner to either Wes or Smith? Not on your nelly...

You don't think he could do a bit of a Sheridan type role?

(Borderline blasphemous, I know)

It was becoming piss obvious to anyone that we couldn't fit Baxter into the team when he left. There wasn't even much outcry and despair. Re-writing of history taking place here.

I was sick as a parrot but gave the manager the benefit of the doubt.

In hindsight there was too much emphasis on his midfield/in the hole role - we should have just stuck him up top & we'd be better off for it now.

But, what's done is done.

Is nobody looking at sheff united and Baxter this season and thinking that neither have really done anything of note and still sit below us in the league even though we are not winning?

I agree he was a good player for us but he is a league 1 player at his second league 1 club for a reason. I don't know what that reason is, overall fitness maybe but going off his form over the course of this season would we really be much better off? Sometimes you just have to cash in.

Why does Harkins have to start? Why not have DP and Charlie Mac up top? Or DP and Clarke Harris, we comfortably beat Shrewsbury/Mansfield, drew at Cov and Sheff U in games we could have won without Harkins. With him in the team weve beaten a poor Stevenage 1-0 in a dour game and lost on Saturday. Bring him on with 30 to go like Walsall when he seemed to make a nuisance of himself. On Saturday he was pish poor.

It's quite ridiculous that it's coming towards the end of January and Johnson doesn't know his best team or formation.

Whether injuries has stopped him playing it or not I don't know.

I'd love to see some stats where it says when we've kept the same team game after game, it will be low single figures! Too much tinkering for my liking.

The one thing Harkins has is vision, but that's wasted if there's no one to latch on to his passes around the penalty area, 2 up front will give him better options.

When the Latics score 4 we won't worry about his defensive shortcomings.

I'd like to agree with this. However I think Harkins playing in a centre midfield role wouldn't necessarily mean lack of defensive solidity and an increased goals against column, but more a lack of general solidity in the middle. It's all very well having a player in there but if we can't get a good hold of the ball in order to supply and support him he'll be neither use nor ornament and we'll both concede more and score less, if possible.