First time Managers

Just wondering if anyone else thinks were going backwards with first time Managers, seems to be the same old script lately, with the tough games we have after weekend I'm really struggling to see anything but a bottom 6 finish, Johnson has now said we will go on a run becuase injurered players are back, really cant see it!

I am worried we will leave it until the last few games before any changes, I can see the longest serving club in Div 2 "League 1" being relegated by the youngest Manager in the Div!

Please feel free to shoot me down :icon_peace:

Just wondering if anyone else thinks were going backwards with first time Managers, seems to be the same old script lately, with the tough games we have after weekend I'm really struggling to see anything but a bottom 6 finish, Johnson has now said we will go on a run becuase injurered players are back, really cant see it!

I am worried we will leave it until the last few games before any changes, I can see the longest serving club in Div 2 "League 1" being relegated by the youngest Manager in the Div!

Our playoff push starts Saturday

The games we have after Saturday? You mean everyone in the league apart from Shrewsbury and Stevenage?

I haven't checked the fixture list but I reckon our run in from this point is almost the same as everyone else's.

The best time to get an experienced manager in was with 10 games to go at the end of last season, yet Corney still didn't choose one and he was proven right not to.

Unless we are in serious danger of being relegated and look like a dysfunctional unit with a quarter of the season to go then I don't see any reason to go for an experienced manager as almost all of them that we can afford would be a step backwards.

The best time to get an experienced manager in was with 10 games to go at the end of last season, yet Corney still didn't choose one and he was proven right not to.

Unless we are in serious danger of being relegated and look like a dysfunctional unit with a quarter of the season to go then I don't see any reason to go for an experienced manager as almost all of them that we can afford would be a step backwards.

Agree with you with an experinced manager would proberly come better, bigger expectations and proberly a bigger wage budget and as shown with some manager jobs for the boys.

If we where in the same position now with say a Phil Brown or a Brian Horton I bet fans would both be on there backs.

I look at the likes of Walsall and Orient as a working project at the moment.

Scunthorpe gave Nigel Adkins his first job in management and he got them out of this division twice.

Blackpool let Grayson cut his teeth in management and he got them up.

Peterborough gave Darren ferguson his first job in management he got them out of this division twice.

Brentford gave uwe rosler his first job has he been a bad thing for them.

Gus poyets first season as a manager resulted in Brighton running away with the league.

Those are the non latics examples I can think of in this league of first time managers being a success

Scunthorpe gave Nigel Adkins his first job in management and he got them out of this division twice.

Blackpool let Grayson cut his teeth in management and he got them up.

Peterborough gave Darren ferguson his first job in management he got them out of this division twice.

Brentford gave uwe rosler his first job has he been a bad thing for them.

Gus poyets first season as a manager resulted in Brighton running away with the league.

Those are the non latics examples I can think of in this league of first time managers being a success

Rosler's Management career

Lillestrøm

Viking

Molde

Brentford

Wigan...

but still a good point you make...

Rosler's Management career

Lillestrøm

Viking

Molde

Brentford

Wigan...

but still a good point you make...

Ok well first job in England I could have technically added Eddie howe to the list as Bournemouth allowed him to cut his teeth. I stopped short at Lee Clark but some would say he was a success.

New managers bring a breath of fresh air to a club and have new ideas of how to run and manage a football club.

Dowie/Sheridan/Dickov/Johnson - have all had some success (obviously, Dowie and Sheridan in the league, Dickov and Johnson in the cup)

Wadsworth/Talbot/Moore/Penney - Apart from Moore, they were all pretty :censored:e (Moore wasn't nessesserily :censored:e, but his football wasn't the style wanted by the fans and TTA) they all got the boot within a year (or there abouts) of being manager here.

That's just in my time supporting Latics.

if he takes us down would you be happy to keep him on next season

Yes.

I'm a firm believer of the long-term project in hand and believe that if we did go down, we could come out better off, providing we could keep the majority of the playing staff and that the new stand could continue it's development.

Confident we won't go down though.

as with players if you are good enough you are old enough. the best managers at latics in my time were Frizz and Joe - both first timers. They would both agree that since their day the gap between rich and poor in football has grown massively such that clubs at the lower end have to make do and mend with loans. LJ has a tougher job than they did I think but his attitude gives grounds for optimism.