Meet The Manager 9th Jan 2013: Feedback

But would you really expect him to do that in public?

Good point, it wouldn't exactly be great man-management to tell fans "yeah I screwed up signing him, he's :censored:".

Cheers for the report back, the more I hear about Johnson the more intelligent he sounds. And to think we could have appointed Phil Brown.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to those who attended for reporting back.

Some interesting stuff has come out, as per the other ones. He is very; very frank and honest is LJ. I think there is a case for being a little too honest maybe? That said, when i spoke with work mates after I attended the 1st one of these; they couldnt believe that I had been given that sort of access to the manager. It is refreshing.

Picking the bones out of it all; it does sound like that should a bid actually come in; instead of merely interest - that Rooney will most likely be sold. Sometimes it just doesnt work out eh?

Sid wise - I wonder what the off-field serious issue was that left LJ and others with a different opinion of him? Hmm....

Overall though, I think these things are a great idea and I hope they continue.

Fair enough. I think there's always going to be a limit on what any manager will say to the fans, to avoid demotivating the players. I'm slightly surprised at some of the things he said yesterday.

Just to put a balance on that view, LJ did say he is happy with the bunch of players he has and they all work extremely hard. Obviously we spoke about Rooney quite a lot and LJ stated that Rooney was one of the best if not the best professional at the club, in the earliest working in the gym etc. LJ said he had identified that Rooney had developed his upper body hindering his quick movement perhaps too much and had put a plan in place to work on his lower body more. So it wasn't all criticism a lot of praise was also included.

Another good point I don't think as been printed yet was on the calibre of loan players from the Prem boys. It's safe to say we've had a mixed bag of success or failure up to date. LJ made the point the likes of John Guidetti has just commanded a half a million plus fee for his loan to Sampdoria, hence the plummer's of this world. On the other side Petrasso has now done well, he will go back to QPR on the 18th and Harry will assess what to do next with Mickey. His stock as now gone up!

Very surprised by this comment. I see Tarky playing at the top level. Can't work out whether this is Johnson managing expectations for when we sell him.

LJ stated that many a top flight scout has watched Tarky and given their feedback to LJ. Most apparently had identified a weakness in Tarky's game which LJ said he and the team hadn't picked up on. Having it brought to their attention they too now saw it. They are now coaching Tarky to iron out this flaw. So maybe once it's rectified?

LJ stated that many a top flight scout has watched Tarky and given their feedback to LJ. Most apparently had identified a weakness in Tarky's game which LJ said he and the team hadn't picked up on. Having it brought to their attention they too now saw it. They are now coaching Tarky to iron out this flaw. So maybe once it's rectified?

That seems reasonable. I'm just not sure I understand the rationale behind saying that one of the most talented defenders in the lower leagues is destined to play in the Championship but no higher than that.

I like Johnson and I'm 100% behind him but, I wish he was as good at winning football matches as he is at charming us fans.

Agree, think we all knew that the first half of the season was likely to be a mixed bag with new players/coaches etc.

We've played everyone apart from MK, there's nobody we need to fear facing again (although none will be worried about us either), there's plenty of options in the squad, especially if we get Mills back and another striker, loads of home games to play so it's not unreasonable to expect improvement.

Has anyone, at any of these meetings, asked him if he ever reads stuff on here?

Just out of interest...hopefully he either doesn't or ignores it all.

If the manager of a professional football league club, logged onto the fans message board and took even the slightest bit of a notice of what was being said then i'd want him strung up on the town hall steps.

What a load of bollocks.

So basically we all have to be positive all the time about manager, club and players in case anyone of them happens to log on here and gets upset or offended by it. Ok then. zzzz

Just as I mentioned last week, a few people were getting on the manager's back, I said it wouldn't be long before the brews and biscuits were out in play again, he's a brilliant salesman.

I hope you're all still so positive after Oldham 0-1 Stevenage tomorrow.

Edited by alex_balls

That seems reasonable. I'm just not sure I understand the rationale behind saying that one of the most talented defenders in the lower leagues is destined to play in the Championship but no higher than that.

Think he named Gareth Macaulay as someone he envisages him having a similar career too.

It was interesting what he said about the shortcomings in Tarky's game picked up on by the top clubs.

Edited by jsslatic

Think he named Gareth Macaulay as someone he envisages him having a similar career too.

It was interesting what he said about the shortcomings in Tarky's game picked up on by the top clubs.

McAuley's a cracking player but has only made it to the top flight in the later stages of his career. I would suggest Tarky has the potential to be better than him with the ball at his feet.

Incidentally, the guy I sit next to at work is good mates with McAuley.

It shows the difference between what scouts are looking for and what a fan sees. A defender rampaging through the middle of the pitch with the ball then losing it 10 yards outside of the opponents box might be exciting to watch as a fan but there is a big hole that needs filling at that point that Smith usually does. This means we are compromised if we win the ball back as Smith could be blowing from sprinting to cover Tarky meaning he isn't in the middle of the pitch threading balls through.

Similarly with wingers, getting to the line faster than Usain Bolt and whipping cross after cross into an empty box doesn't do anyone any good.

If the manager of a professional football league club, logged onto the fans message board and took even the slightest bit of a notice of what was being said then i'd want him strung up on the town hall steps.

What a load of bollocks.

So basically we all have to be positive all the time about manager, club and players in case anyone of them happens to log on here and gets upset or offended by it. Ok then. zzzz

Just as I mentioned last week, a few people were getting on the manager's back, I said it wouldn't be long before the brews and biscuits were out in play again, he's a brilliant salesman.

What was the refreshment situation, incidentally? Were there brews and biscuits? What kind of biscuits?

Not sure why you have such a massive downer on Johnson, like. The guy's been in the job less than 12 months and hasn't exactly done a lot wrong. Hasn't done much right yet either, granted, but I'm surprised/concerned by a few people's passive-aggressive attitudes. What is your best-case scenario for Oldham? Who do you wish we had in charge instead of Johnson and why?

What a load of bollocks.

Would you rather he just bore us with how skint the club is, how everyday Is a tough battle needing bigger crowds to stay afloat?

Edited by oafctom

I

What a load of bollocks.

I understand the point your making, I went to the first fans forum and took in LJ and still do however I am beginning to ignore the LJ PR stunts.

Thats not me having a go at LJ i just want to see results improve, i want him to do well, I want him to win with Oldham, i like him I just dont want him to turn into Dickov with the same "unlucky" press conference.

This is his team and its time for him to deliver!