Meet The Manager 9th Jan 2013: Feedback

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With regards to Baxter's fitness. I did hope that the new manager would have had this dealt with this in pre-season , he really would have been sensational at this level if this had been sorted out.

I don't doubt that LJ set certain objectives for Baxter to work towards.

Dear all

Thanks to those who organised this, LJ attending and those fans who donated time and effort in attending and writing the notes up too.

Most insightful and helps me to understand the mindset of the manager and club.

Long may they continue to be arranged but if possible, different times and days of the week so more fans can participate.

Very good concept meet the manager....

I echo this thanks for posting the feedback guys particularly o4u and bondl1ne who went into detail.

It was also mentioned about a welfare fund the club has set up to look after players, some of whom are living away from home, and not not mixing in society. hopefully it will bring out the character of the players mainly the younger ones. and hopefully they will take this onto the field. Also they are looking for sponsors for the welfare fund, or any ideas anyone has to raise funds.

Dear all

Thanks to those who organised this, LJ attending and those fans who donate time and effort in attending and writing the notes up too.

Most in sightfull and helps me to understand the mindset of the manager and club.

Long may they continue to be arranged but if possible, different times and days of the week so more fans can participate.

Very good concept meet the manager....

I would agree with this, I thought it was a thoroughly enjoyable and massively informative 2 hours. The time flew by, like the last ten minutes when you are one nil down. I thought LJ looked a bit apprehensive to start with but he completely immersed himself in the process and was incredibly frank, possibly a bit too much at times, so much so that I thought that part of Barry's role was to keep a check on what LJ might say. The insight he gave into the minutiae of player performance was fascinating and way above the level of what I observe, although others there were nodding sagely. He talked about identifying weaknesses in players'performances(and told us what the were) and said how they were going about trying to eliminate these. I was really struck by the detail of what goes into preparation for games,training, analysis of individual performance and other aspects of the game. I was staggered by the comment that the club doesn't have a scout ( did I hear this correctly?)

2 other really illuminating bits for me were the importance LJ gives to forming links with bigger clubs which he feels will benefit the club, and his views on playershare, which i felt really gave an insight into him as a man. He was really concerned that people who had paid into this were not seeing a return for their buck on the pitch. You could tell he felt responsible for this and it is referred to in an earlier post about Eddie. When lags said he felt that people who contributed to this accepted that once they had given the money it was nothing to do with them anymore he was obviously relieved.

Terrific afternoon, thanks Lee and Barry and all who turned out and made it.

Edited by astottie

Some interesting stuff there, thanks to the lads who attended for their write ups.

The Baxter and Wolves stuff is a load of guff, don't think anyone really thinks selling him was our choice and it certainly wasn't 4-3-3 at Wolves.

Agree with his views on Tarkowski, like the links with Premier League clubs (just need better players from them), the Rooney and Sidney stuff smacks a little of him not wanting to admit they are his own bad signings/mistakes.

Was Montano mentioned by LJ or barry?

yes 3 or 4 times. When talking about the quality of crosses - he was good, when talking about the Wolves game - how can i legislate for that? and when asked about what lessons he had learned during his time here - again just can't legislate for some things.

The Baxter and Wolves stuff is a load of guff, don't think anyone really thinks selling him was our choice ...

I get the impression that LJ made the decision to replace one player with several.

Agree with his views on Tarkowski, like the links with Premier League clubs (just need better players from them), the Rooney and Sidney stuff smacks a little of him not wanting to admit they are his own bad signings/mistakes.

I think he'd say Sid has been a mistake.

As for Rooney, he believes the lad gas got something. But LJ was open enough to point the finger at himself over lack of decent crosses.

Some interesting stuff there, thanks to the lads who attended for their write ups.

The Baxter and Wolves stuff is a load of guff, don't think anyone really thinks selling him was our choice and it certainly wasn't 4-3-3 at Wolves.

No manager will make make perfect signings throughout his career, there are many reasons they don't come off and its not always about ability.

So remind me what was the team at Wolves, did it contain 6 midfield players because Montano & Dayton aren't midfielders! A manager cannot control how a team responds at certain times within a season, he can only change things for future games. If we have had 1 awful performance at the halfway stage of the season then in my view its not too bad. Or 2 with Notts C away!

Baxter quite obviously didn't fit into LJ's system so hey-ho LJ is the manager and he gets my 100% percent backing, even if 1 of his signings hasn't lived up to expectations (Rooney) and the other (Sid) doesn't take things onboard speedily!

Really enjoy the insights from the MTM meetings. It's a side of the game that we're never often privy to. Really get the feeling that LJ is starting to build something good, albeit it's not quite going to plan right now. I'm confident that with key players back, out of form players such as Rooney finding a few of those crosses and a little bit more guile from the likes of Harkin we'll pull away from the bottom. It's always been about a transitional season and I think even next season might be a top half but not quite enough campaign. But if we manage to keep hold of LJ beyond that we could see a team that's settled, with players that are happy and know their jobs.

If we uproot all this prematurely with a hasty sacking then it all has to start again from scratch and before you know it we're in our 20th season at the same level. I think we're all a bit sick of that, aren't we?

Thanks to O4U and bond line for the minute taking too fellas.

I'll write up this stuff bit by bit

Here is what i've got so far:

Is Rooney Happy here?

Lee: He's very happy here. He likes it. I get on well with him. We've had our minor disagreements, more due to frustration. He still believes in his own ability.

You've said that the style of play isn't suiting him? What are you doing about that?

Lee: I have to make a decision. There's two decisions. You either coach, or you move on. Like I've said we've had lot of interest in Rooney and we've got to make a decision on that. He's got to make a decision. I don't know how its going to pan out. Pretty much every club in Scotland wants Adam Rooney and 3 or 4 in England as well.

But if we can get him the right service........... I could go and sign two wingers. For example Crofty. Crofty was very good at getting crosses in. Had Crofty stayed, who gets early crosses in, he probably would have scored more goals. And that's the balance. Montano…..we didn't know that was going to happen. Montano laid on quite a few of his goals.

Barry: In fairness to Lee as well, part of the formula within the club, that's whilst nobody interferes with the football side, the chairman has to assess over time how much a contract will cost the club and whether that is value for money. And there comes a stage sometimes, whether you like it or not, when a chairman speaks to the manager and that is assessed. That the total value of the contract comes into play and whether the money could be better utilised elsewhere

That's if you've got an interest. And one thing that I've learned in 10 years, sometimes if you don't take that opportunity it will leave you....very quickly. Porter for example, and a couple of others. You've got to act fairly quickly. It is sad with Roons in some respects because...

Lee: If there's anyone you want to do well it's him

Barry: He's such a nice guy. And I know he feels that he's let the manager down, feels he's let the fans down and he will tell you that.

More tomorrow

Edited by PhilStarbucksSilkySkills