Meet The Manager 9th Jan 2013: Feedback

I wouldn't have been arsed if it was sang after the game. I wouldn't have joined in but there's no harm in it. Clap him off the pitch too if subbed but no need to cheer him while the game is going on.

What's that watmore doing now? I know Sunderland signed him for their academy but is he out on loan anywhere?

Played in the first team this week.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11695/9104550/sunderland-striker-duncan-watmore-says-stadium-of-light-debut-was-a-dream

Edited by BP1960

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone, at any of these meetings, asked him if he ever reads stuff on here?

Just out of interest...hopefully he either doesn't or ignores it all.

There was certainly reference to "should spend more time on the training ground" etc.

I think he's sharp enough to decipher the bollocks from the almost bollocks.

Has anyone, at any of these meetings, asked him if he ever reads stuff on here?

Just out of interest...hopefully he either doesn't or ignores it all.

Being internet savvy I imagine he's a regular visitor, who knows he might even have posted on here under another name.

I'm sure i read from a previous meeting that he has read things on here and that some posters on here should be careful what they put as they may give the opposition an insight into our game etc.

so, Hi Lee!

I just hope that Stevenage don't know yet to put 3 men on Rooney and let Tarkowski come out with the ball at all times!

LJ also mentioned that the club like the look of Lee Gregory.

Maybe Rooney out and Gregory and Mills in?

I wonder what those people who insisted on sly digs towards BP whenever he mentioned Gardner and Gregory think of that?

Prospects weren't the best when there were no brew's provided and the room was deathly silent when I walked into it (I was wearing the hat).

Started with Rooney - disappointed with him & Rooney is disappointed in himself. LJ says he's been reactive and not instinctive. He's took him off weights as he felt he was too bulky and it was restricting his sharpness and agility. Haven't been enough crosses, as has been said Montano provided 3 of his 4 goals. He's only had 11 crosses and scored 4 goals. Rooney is happy here but 9 clubs have enquired this month, all from Scotland with the exception of 2 other League 1 clubs. Knows Rooney won't win all the headers but still gets him to pin his shoulders back and jump up so that the defender can't head it properly and Wes and Korey can pick up the second ball.

Psychology - brings them in for the players when he deems it necessary, the one he would like to use is 10k a day!

Tarky - sees his career being one with 300 appearances in the championship. There's been loads of interest in him but all the scouts report back that he isn't engaging his markers in the box in the sense that he deals with the first phase fine but then loses his marker. LJ hopes he can coach this into his game, says John Terry is the master at it. There are a shortage of centre halves around which should in theory inflate his price but means we'd struggle to replace him. LJ could sell him tomorrow but is going to offer him a new contract at the end of Jan. The price of any sale depends on the club who's bidding.

Feels we should have 9 points more than we have. Barry sends all incidents off to the head of referees and he has admitted we've been done out of 7 points. LJ is trying to change the culture of the club and feels he is doing this.

Sydney - says he's a top bloke but there was an incident which has affected his opinion of Sydney. Signed Him as he didn't feel he could get anyone as fast and as good one on one in this country. He's cost us 8 goals, Brentfords being the recent one, he was brought on to win the game and was lazy blocking a cross. Almost cost us at Gillingham as he played for himself. The one thing he struggles with is losing his marker, even in training he switches off. He only comes alive when the ball is at his feet. LJ gives him points challenges in training, 20points for a shot, 30 for an assist and 40 for a goal but admits his coaching techniques haven't worked so far.

Petrasso - going back to QPR on the 18th for 4 days. Lots of clubs showing interest especially after the Liverpool game. If QPR let him out on loan it will definitely be back to us. Admitted he was poor to start but after coming on as a Sub he's been flying and improving all the time.

Winchester - needs to play in a midfield 3, can't play in a 2. He's got him in the gym trying to put some size on as he isn't strong enough. He got a bollocking before the Mansfield game and came on and had a stormer. He deserves to start games but because he can't last therefore LJ knows he's a sub down straight away. When scouts watch us they all notice Winchester above anyone else.

Mellor - has everything LJ wants in a player. Feels he will have a longer career as a left back and that upto now LJ has 'abused' him a bit. Used Fleck at Coventry as an example, he demanded the ball constantly but feels Mellor is better. Wants him, Winchester and Millar to push on given their age.

Formation - there's no strict formation, tells them to play a 5-5-5, ie players doing everything. His only requisite is for players to be in the gap between defence and midfield.

Eddie - has got a fractured back. Has height, pace and good on the ball but isn't ready. admits he may have made a mistake using the Playershare money on a development project. If it fails he will put the funds back into Playershare one way or another. If Eddie leaves LJ won't be surprised to see him playing in the Champions league in 6 years time for a Russian club. At this point he stated hehas realised we don't have time to be a development club.

Playing at home - we haven't broke down a 4-5-1 all season. Every team sees a point at Boundary Park as a good result. We don't score first and this costs us. We haven't got someone like John Sheridan who can ping a pass. He admitted we don't move the ball quick enough and score most of our goals when we win the ball off the opposition and then attack

Harkins - will play the through balls we need and has premiership vision. Similar to Baxter in that he will offer us nothing defensively and LJ wants him to save his energy for when he gets on the ball. Will demand the ball at all times which we need as currently Korey is the only one to do that and Korey can't be expected to do it all.

Grounds - sees him as a centre half.

Weso - much improved, LJ has got him opening his body more and spreading play rather than playing the way he faces which he used to do. Need Wes in the team as without him we don't make any tackles. LJ would like to keep both of these next season but as they are big earners it depends how successful we are this season whether we ofer them new contracts.

He stated we have too many players now and need to move players out really before we bring anyone in.

Lots of teams want to send us players, 3 or 4 clubs want to build strong links with us. Talks are ongoing but LJ stressed we would not be a feeder club and wouldn't even get involved with any team who would that the loan player must play at all times. He named City, Newcastle and Liverpool. Connor Coady's name was mentioned.

Ideally he wants our first team to play these clubs u21's in 60minute friendly matches so he can properly judge if their players are good enough but ours and Liverpools schedules have been too busy.

Barry also mentioned these clubs wouldn't have liked it if Koukash had taken over.

LJ stated that he is able to use these clubs scouting reports for any player he wants to look at. He used a team like Ross County as an example. We're also able to use their medical equipment as it costs us £1,000 for a scan for a player.

Corners - have done ok scoring wise. We have no Duncan Ferguson type who will hurt himself to get on the end of a corner. Motto was the closest. Tarky loses momentum at the key moment when going to attack the ball.

Until recently there used to be a scouting list detailing which teams were looking at which players but LJ has took it down to stop them getting big headed.

He's trying to decide what to do for the Stevenage game as most are over 6ft 2" and can't run. Does he use his small technical players or play the bigger ones and try and match up against them. He is undecided.

Baxter was a genius but wasn't effective. He would have been on the bench if he had stayed. He was quality at corners and his 90th minute one to Mvoto to score got us the win v Stevenage that kept us up. LJ believes The oldham fans who cheered his name at brammall Lane perked him up in that game when he was doing nothing and getting frustrated.

Had 16 texts and 15 missed calls during the meeting. Stated Graham Turner from Shrewsbury had rung him, I suggested he must want Schmeltz on loan.

Thoroughly likeable chap, thought Barry spoke a bit too much though

Perhaps Harry if you attended one of these meetings you might "grasp" what is actual meant by any statement the manager makes. You cannot assume something from a distance and something you have not heard. !!!!

Barry

Does that also apply to my "fair enough" post when it was worded differently?

Sorry if I spoke too much. My enthusiasm carries me away sometimes. Again apologies.!!!!!!!!!

Barry

PS

Thought it was a great get together today and one of the better meetings. Some really good questions and points made. Will follow up on the technical meeting if some of you are interested and will arrange another meeting soon. May even arrange a "Meet the Players" buffet night once our position is a bit safer. !!!!!!

Dear all

Thanks to those who organised this, LJ attending and those fans who donated time and effort in attending and writing the notes up too.

Most insightful and helps me to understand the mindset of the manager and club.

Long may they continue to be arranged but if possible, different times and days of the week so more fans can participate.

Very good concept meet the manager....

Edited by underdog