Stat on Twitter - Away Form

All Penney's fault. Penney Out.

In seriousness, that is a worrying stat and the cup runs over the past 3 years have seemingly masked realities like these. Still though, I don't think we can judge Johnson properly until next season when he can no longer be said to be in a transition from the previous managers team and can be said that he's had a year to build his own team, also allowing them this season to gel.

Wow team not won many against good teams away from home shock. I wonder what our record was like in 2007/2008, I'd guess pretty good, otherwise it would have been included. You make statistics say what you like for the purpose you want. Rooney puts the penalty away and no brings up that stat, despite it only adding 1 point to our 22 (out of 162). Not exactly a massive difference, it's less than 1%.

To quote Benjamin Disraeli "Lies, damn lies and Statistics"

Wow team not won many against good teams away from home shock. I wonder what our record was like in 2007/2008, I'd guess pretty good, otherwise it would have been included. You make statistics say what you like for the purpose you want. Rooney puts the penalty away and no brings up that stat, despite it only adding 1 point to our 22 (out of 162). Not exactly a massive difference, it's less than 1%.

To quote Benjamin Disraeli "Lies, damn lies and Statistics"

He's making a fair point by going back 4 seasons....what's 07/08 or even 08/09 got to do with it when he's comparing the Dickov/Johnson era?

Edited by oafc1955

He's making a fair point by going back 4 seasons....what's 07/08 or even 08/09 got to do with it when he's comparing the Dickov/Johnson era?

If that's what the person who posted that is doing then the stat should be from 10/11 not 09/10, 09/10 was Penney. The point I was making was it is probably not conducive to the point that person is trying to make if 08/09 or even 07/08 are included, they've chosen an arbitrary cut-off of 09/10 because that fits in with what they want it to say.

For example Oldham haven't lost at home to Premier League opposition for almost 9 years (end of Jan 2005). Lee Johnson hasn't affected that statistic, the same way he hasn't affected 3 years of the statistic quoted. In fact in Johnson's reign we've got 2, possibly 3 points away from home against top half sides, out of 10 or 11 games, which is actually a worse statistic but not as worrying, otherwise that would have been used as opposed to factoring the efforts of Dickov and Penney as well.

If that's what the person who posted that is doing then the stat should be from 10/11 not 09/10, 09/10 was Penney. The point I was making was it is probably not conducive to the point that person is trying to make if 08/09 or even 07/08 are included, they've chosen an arbitrary cut-off of 09/10 because that fits in with what they want it to say.

For example Oldham haven't lost at home to Premier League opposition for almost 9 years (end of Jan 2005). Lee Johnson hasn't affected that statistic, the same way he hasn't affected 3 years of the statistic quoted. In fact in Johnson's reign we've got 2, possibly 3 points away from home against top half sides, out of 10 or 11 games, which is actually a worse statistic but not as worrying, otherwise that would have been used as opposed to factoring the efforts of Dickov and Penney as well.

It doesn't matter how you, I, or anyone else looks at it.

It doesn't matter whether the preceeding years saw us win quite often away from home.

It doesn't matter whether we've done well in the cups.

It doesn't matter whether it's Penney, Dickov or Johnson.

It doesn't matter whether the bloke conjuring up this stat has cherry picked these specific last few years.

The fact is we've only won 2 out of 54 games away against top half teams since 2009/10. It's an alarming statistic whichever spin one wants to put on it.

It just so happens that it's now down LJ to rectify that stat.

A win at Port Vale on Saturday will begin that fixing process quite nicely.

Is this surprising really? We've finished near the bottom for a few years now so it doesn't surprise me that we've struggled to beat better performing team at their gaff.

If anything it is consistent.

In spite of that, I still think 2 wins in 54 is pretty poor.

It is simply a statistic born of where we have ended up in the league each year. It is what the poorer teams in League 1 do i.e. lose against the better teams. I would like to confidently predict that we will win more away games against top half opposition this season than in 09/10 to 12/13 inclusive.

It is simply a statistic born of where we have ended up in the league each year. It is what the poorer teams in League 1 do i.e. lose against the better teams. I would like to confidently predict that we will win more away games against top half opposition this season than in 09/10 to 12/13 inclusive.

We've played 7 of current top half away, record W0, D1, L6.

Shots/Shots on target ratio is absolutely crap.

Port Vale. 10/2

Walsall. 11/3

Stevenage. 12/2

Shrewsbury. 14/3

The Coventry game is the last decent shots to shots on target ratio i could find with 10 shots and 8 on target.

However, that still only produced 1 goal...

Come on LJ & SC, get this "major signing" done. Or at least a half decent one.