Johnson signs 3 and a half year deal

It can.

Manager and chairman share a common long-term vision, which so-far has been satisfied in the eyes of Simon Corney and some fans (including myself)

Long-Termism is highly important now and the continued support of the youth system by LJ has been visible since he came in last season. This commitment to bringing through new talent which ultimately pay dividends when/if a group of talented players come through and some move on for a decent fee. Allowing more money to be pumped into the side.

Providing that Simon has done his sums correctly. The New Stand will go a long way in financing the club and making us nearly, if not actually, self-sufficient and able to run the day-to-day business of the club from the profits made on the stand. Of course, that doesn't take into account the 6 million to build it.

If the club is able to run off the facilities accommodated in the New Stand then some of the money made through player sales or that has previously been disappearing down the black hole.

Of course, i'm pinning this on what Corney has said and a very basic knowledge of financing and economics.

The contract makes complete sense to me.

I hope everything you've said proves to be true and in 12 months time we're all wondering why there was concern at the length of the contract. Most of what you've written is just wishful thinking though and, as of yet, Johnson's got nowhere near to justifying another 3 and a half year deal.

Don't get me wrong, it could prove to be a masterstroke. It's not as if other clubs are sniffing around at the moment though. Corney's got a hunch and only time will tell.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can.

Manager and chairman share a common long-term vision, which so-far has been satisfied in the eyes of Simon Corney and some fans (including myself)

Long-Termism is highly important now and the continued support of the youth system by LJ has been visible since he came in last season. This commitment to bringing through new talent which ultimately pay dividends when/if a group of talented players come through and some move on for a decent fee. Allowing more money to be pumped into the side.

Providing that Simon has done his sums correctly. The New Stand will go a long way in financing the club and making us nearly, if not actually, self-sufficient and able to run the day-to-day business of the club from the profits made on the stand. Of course, that doesn't take into account the 6 million to build it.

If the club is able to run off the facilities accommodated in the New Stand then some of the money made through player sales or that has previously been disappearing down the black hole.

Of course, i'm pinning this on what Corney has said and a very basic knowledge of financing and economics.

The contract makes complete sense to me.

Oi.

Snap out of it.

Focus on the facts and not on the future.

1 win in 9 games. Manager offered three and a half year deal.

I've had a think about this. There's not an unpaid invoice in Ibrox's chance there won't be escape clauses either way on a deal that long, or neither would have signed.I have to say that I don't believe everyone who talks about the long term approach believes it - the only time to vindicate it is when we are doing :censored: and therefore the manager looks like a bad un. There's no prizes for liking the boss when we smash teams every week.

I like long term building. Even with changes each window you can start to get people on the right wavelenght, straighten out the kids who might make it, weed out negativity. It's a bold scheme but I back it

What this thread has proved is that some people are never bloody happy. There's been numerous threads on here about how the club needs continuity and stability. SC has done just that and he's still wrong as far as some are concerned.

The long term contract isn't necessarily about what has happened since LJ arrived; it's what SC sees can be produced in the future and constantly chopping and changing managers doesn't give you that.

Even Taggart was apparently close to the bullet at one point, but it didn't turn out too bad for him. Big Joe had some rocky times, but the board stuck with him and look where we ended up.

I, for one, am happy with this as it shows that the club is trying to move forward with more ambition than it's shown for years, so for Christ's sake, give him a chance to improve the potential he obviously has instead of sniping at every opportunity.

He'll get his chance, don't worry. But the length of contract is outrageous. Managers with multiple promotions wouldn't get anywhere near three and a half years.

It's one thing having a vision, ambition and the willingness to succeed. It's another thing putting it into practice.

Johnson, by his own account, has already failed this season, regardless of where we finish. To be rewarded with a contract extension seems bizarre.

Edited by excharnwoodlatic

Oi.

Snap out of it.

Focus on the facts and not on the future.

1 win in 9 games. Manager offered three and a half year deal.

That's the sort of short-term vision that has somewhat hindered the club for the past 10+ years.

Yes, it's 1 win in 9... Bad run of form.

But better football and loses have been 1-0/2-0, there are positives.

I think if we can see this season out and retain our League 1 status, we might see more growth and go further up the table next season.

Personally, whilst I think we'll stay up this season, I don't expect us to be challenging for the play-off's until the season after next (minimum).

These things take time, although, I think we'll finish more comfortably next season, rather than another relegation dog fight, again.

But it's not a vision, it's a fact. We've won 1 in 9.

What was that? You should have said... :wink:

We're not far away from a turn around, according to twitter, LJ knows what striker he wants to replace Rooney so now it seems we just need to get him. No names really batted around so far, apart from Gregory, but i doubt he'd be a good enough signing at this stage.

In LJ we trust.

But it's not a vision, it's a fact. We've won 1 in 9.

7th or 20th this season does it really matter? It's the future that some of us can see or at least hope to see!

Well it wont bother you because as you have said you aren't going to BP until we start to entertain you! Priceless!

I came into this thread expecting extreme over reactions and have not been disappointed. To me all this spells out is that corney is going give LJ a chance even if we get relegated, so those of you getting your knickers in a twist could be in for a rough few years!!

Personally I'm sick and tired of chopping and changing managers. I was happy that Dickov was given time to try and build something, even if it didn't work out and will be happy that LJ is given the same. I don't think LJ is the messiah but he has obviously done something to impress even if it is just cheap wages!

To those getting so angry about this what is the preferred alternative? We sack LJ in a couple of months if we don't improve. New guy comes in keeps us up by a few points, brings in a new squad, is in trouble of getting relegated by March, gets sacked, new guy comes in.....

How long does that go on for before trying something different?

It's actually 3 and a half added onto his current deal...

It's actually not. His current deal expired in the Summer of 2015. His new deal expires in the Summer of 2018. So it's only 3 years added onto his current deal, but the deal itself lasts for 4 and a half years.

It's actually not. His current deal expired in the Summer of 2015. His new deal expires in the Summer of 2018. So it's only 3 years added onto his current deal, but the deal itself lasts for 4 and a half years.

You know what I mean! :grin:

Edited by OAFC_Ryan

I must admit that it is a bold move from SC that shows intent on stability and long term within the club, whether or not it turns out to be a master stroke remains to be seen, LJ's spiel has certainly been a breath of fresh air and sounds more convincing than Penney and Dickov put together, I hope he's given the time and manages to bring in the players he needs as I think he'll progress on to being a decent manager in the future.

I like Johnson.

I liked Dickov in the January of his first season. We were in and around the play-offs.

I'm glad we didn't give Dickov four and a half years from that point.

I do like Johnson's chat. The depth to his knowledge and, apparently, planning from bottom to top within the club. I like long termism.

But none of it's any use if we can't put the ball in the net very often.

Edited by opinions4u

I like Johnson.

I liked Dickov in the January of his first season. We were in and around the play-offs.

I'm glad we didn't give Dickov four and a half years from that point.

I do like Johnson's chat. The depth to his knowledge and, apparently, planning from bottom to top within the club. I like long termism.

But none of it's any use if we can't put the ball in the net very often.

But what if these foundations lead to a future where we can put the ball in the net vet often?

Latics fans we want stability we want a long term vision and plan for the future

We want stability with the right man in charge.

Not saying Johnson isn't the right man, but he has far from proved himself yet. Dread to think where we'd be if we'd given Dickov a long term deal for the sake of stability!