Johnson signs 3 and a half year deal

First reaction. WTF has he done to derseve that.

2nd reaction. Well at least there's some sort of strategy in place for the long term of the club.

I think it could be a good move in the end but might take a couple of years to come to fruition

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:censored:ing hell, is this a piss take?

I'm not for one minute suggesting he should be sacked, but how are our recent performances, League position or entertainment value worthy of a three year deal?

We are edging precariously close to the drop zone and the guy who is taking us there has just been given a long term contract...

It shows we're planning for the long term, which is something the club have been accused of failing to do in the past.

Admittedly it could be costly to get rid, but there could be clauses. We don't know

I think this is positive news, though admittedly with a bit of risk.

I am glad as it could help attract players as well & a bit of stability at the club but not sure by the timing of it. If it gives the club a boost it can only be good.

Have said all along I think LJ is the right man but the guy still needs help with an assistant & back room staff.

Fingers crossed he has signed it as the club have offered him a bit of money & help

Step in the right direction

:censored:ing hell, is this a piss take?

I'm not for one minute suggesting he should be sacked, but how are our recent performances, League position or entertainment value worthy of a three year deal?

We are edging precariously close to the drop zone and the guy who is taking us there has just been given a long term contract...

This

Seems odd to me. If we stay up then he could've still signed a 4 year deal to make the same long term point, but with the guarantee that we start those 4 years in League One.

I'm a fan of LJ, but to me the potential stability of this deal is outweighed by the short term risk.

If you think someone is going to be successful, the right time, financially, to give them a new deal is when they are underperforming compared to where you think they will end up. As when they improve they are more in demand and can command a higher wage. The risk you take is if things get worse and you end up having tied an employee down to a long-term deal and you want to get rid of them.

When there was talk of giving Dickov getting a long-term deal early on in his time here, I thought that was mental - and we were playing well then!

Dowie aside, given the owner's track record of appointing mangers, what are the chances that this is going to end well?

Nothing against LJ - fully behind him and all that, but this is a hell of a risk by the club.

Edited by JoeP

How does that one work?

Pretty much as it reads but seen as though you have had a go at my posts a few times I'll put it a little simpler for you.

If we go down and stick with the manager who will keep the core of the team together (the ones who are good enough) we will have a great chance Of coming back up, he has demonstrated with Rooney and sid if you do to perform your out.

If we went down and sacked him we would have a new man come in change most the team maybe play a new style of football you know the chop and change style every year that has stood us in great stead over the past few years??

Anyway I don't think we will go down but hope this explanation helps you

I can understand people's concerns due to this seasons performance but I'm personally really happy about this.

It's his first season as a manager and he's shown a lot of promise thus far -

1. Brought in some decent players - Korey Smith being one...even before LJ joined us

2. Creating a team built on exciting, passing play on the pitch

3. Forging some strong links with the likes of Liverpool in the Prem and teams in lower leagues with promising players

4. Shown that he's decisive when striving for success - getting rid of Rooney as one example, Schemltz another

5. Not prepared to take any :censored: from players - again Rooney, Rusnak etc

6. Been unlucky with some players - Montano for obvious reasons

7. Been unlucky with some players failing to deliver - Rooney and Schmeltz

8. Young, driven, enthusiastic...could easily afford not to work I understand due to property empire but wants to manage, wants to succeed and wants to win

9. Connected with the majority of the fans has great PR skills as a manager

We've struggled this season but it's his first season and what do you expect with inexperience? He needs a season or two to develop consistency, wheel and deal, imprint his work ethic through the whole team and squad, achieve success.

We've been impatient for a while, hiring and firing managers, chopping and changing playing personnel and it's led to failure time and time again.

About time we committed to a young, hungry, passionate manager who displaying all the necessary skills and potential

Well done LJ and here's to a long and successful career at Oldham Athletic

Has SC signed a similar contract ?

I think he's staying until the dream, which he had while on a skiing holiday and which he described as leading to his 'Golden Ticket' promotion, comes true:

“I don’t know if it was the mountain air but I fell asleep and I dreamed that we were playing Napoli at Boundary Park and there were six people there. In the main stand it was myself and Alan Hardy. Simon Blitz and my ex-girfriend were in the Chaddy End, take from that what you will, and Roberto Mancini and Jose Mourinho were in the Rochdale Road End. I asked Neil Joy after the match how much we had made on the gate and he said nothing, then I woke up".

Too much pessimism on here.

I'm delighted with this. Stability is a key to success and I think if we were ever going to make this kind of commitment it should be with a dedicated and intelligent manager like Lee Johnson.

Of course there's always a chance that this could balls up. But I don't see it this time. I see steady progression under a long term project. That is what we can look forward to now.

May The Flying Spaghetti Monster turn my genitalia into noodles if I am wrong

I can understand people's concerns due to this seasons performance but I'm personally really happy about this.

It's his first season as a manager and he's shown a lot of promise thus far -

1. Brought in some decent players - Korey Smith being one...even before LJ joined us

2. Creating a team built on exciting, passing play on the pitch

3. Forging some strong links with the likes of Liverpool in the Prem and teams in lower leagues with promising players

4. Shown that he's decisive when striving for success - getting rid of Rooney as one example, Schemltz another

5. Not prepared to take any :censored: from players - again Rooney, Rusnak etc

6. Been unlucky with some players - Montano for obvious reasons

7. Been unlucky with some players failing to deliver - Rooney and Schmeltz

8. Young, driven, enthusiastic...could easily afford not to work I understand due to property empire but wants to manage, wants to succeed and wants to win

9. Connected with the majority of the fans has great PR skills as a manager

We've struggled this season but it's his first season and what do you expect with inexperience? He needs a season or two to develop consistency, wheel and deal, imprint his work ethic through the whole team and squad, achieve success.

We've been impatient for a while, hiring and firing managers, chopping and changing playing personnel and it's led to failure time and time again.

About time we committed to a young, hungry, passionate manager who displaying all the necessary skills and potential

Well done LJ and here's to a long and successful career at Oldham Athletic

Regarding point 3. Have I missed something. Who has LJ brought in from Liverpool since he took over? I don't see where everybody gets this impression from. Is it because their manager contributes to the club by paying £4 to attend reserve games?

Edited by Slash