Johnson signs 3 and a half year deal

We want stability with the right man in charge.

Not saying Johnson isn't the right man, but he has far from proved himself yet. Dread to think where we'd be if we'd given Dickov a long term deal for the sake of stability!

Exactly.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We will all always have a differing opinion on everything latics that's just nature, whilst I agree the timing is a suprise due to recent results I think it's unfair to compare Lj and dickov

I feel that Lj came in clearly is well respected within the game for his coaching ability and the depth of his analysis, he came in looking at the club as a whole wants to change the whole ethos of the club and move us forward, this season is purely about staying in the division and the squad maturing ready to push on next year and that was always the number one aim this season regardless what anyone says. When the stand is up and we have more revenue coming in and maybe a slightly bigger budget we can then launch a assault on the play offs.

That's how I see it anyway probably all wrong like but that's just my view.

Weather or not we agree on the deal for the manager lets continue to support the team and back the manager. See what happens for the rest of the transfer window and strap in and try to enjoy what am sure will be a bumpy ride towards safety

Question for the Johnson lovers, we get relegated, is he still in charge come August?

Why not? Who else do you put in? Another manager who will clear the books and bring in fresh faces and we start the merry go round again, except we could end up in League 2 for the next 20 years. Least LJ can keep his nucleus and build around it, L1 or L2.

Why not? Who else do you put in? Another manager who will clear the books and bring in fresh faces and we start the merry go round again, except we could end up in League 2 for the next 20 years. Least LJ can keep his nucleus and build around it, L1 or L2.

Who would be in this nucleus if we are in L2?

Most of the lads are under contract (again something we should be thankful for) so unless we command a fee I can't see why we would clear half of them out. This team would easily make its way in L2 if the god forbidden happened.

Most of the lads are under contract (again something we should be thankful for) so unless we command a fee I can't see why we would clear half of them out. This team would easily make its way in L2 if the god forbidden happened.

IIRC Wes and Grounds out of contract so they'll be away, Smith and Tarkowski wouldn't be sticking around.

Question for the Johnson lovers, we get relegated, is he still in charge come August?

I think he has to be now, unless there is a clause in his contract that says if we get relegated we don't have to pay him off to fire him. If he hadn't just been given a new extension, I think you'd have to seriously consider his position and I'm sorry to say I don't think he'd last.

I'd say this team should avoid relegation, so for us to get relegated would be a poor showing, who is to say we will tear up League 2, that's the sort of attitude we had when we came down to this league and it's the same sort of attitude the likes of Sheff U had too, look where they are now.

Especially as like others have said we will no doubt lose our 4 best players from this season, 2 of whom for nothing.

We will all always have a differing opinion on everything latics that's just nature, whilst I agree the timing is a suprise due to recent results I think it's unfair to compare Lj and dickov

I feel that Lj came in clearly is well respected within the game for his coaching ability and the depth of his analysis, he came in looking at the club as a whole wants to change the whole ethos of the club and move us forward, this season is purely about staying in the division and the squad maturing ready to push on next year and that was always the number one aim this season regardless what anyone says. When the stand is up and we have more revenue coming in and maybe a slightly bigger budget we can then launch a assault on the play offs.

That's how I see it anyway probably all wrong like but that's just my view.

Weather or not we agree on the deal for the manager lets continue to support the team and back the manager. See what happens for the rest of the transfer window and strap in and try to enjoy what am sure will be a bumpy ride towards safety

clearly well respected in the game for his coaching ability ? by who ? when was he a coach ? for how long ? he will be judged on wether he keeps us up and nothing else, they will be screaming for his head if we do go down,

clearly well respected in the game for his coaching ability ? by who ? when was he a coach ? for how long ? he will be judged on wether he keeps us up and nothing else, they will be screaming for his head if we do go down,

Who are they?

Because i most certainly won't be

So far, its been a transition. I can see it's a transition that is going to take time. But - when i underperform at work; I dont get a reward.

Having given this a bit more thought, I wonder how much of a "reward" this contract is for LJ?

It seems ludicrous to give him an improved contract on the basis of team performance.

Yes, the contract is for a longer period and might even include a pay-rise, but I would imagine there would be a lot more "ifs", "buts" and "maybes" in the new contract, that weren't there in his previous contract.

Maybe, in fact, it is completely the opposite of a reward and the club are covering their backside as they have an inkling we could go down and we might need to get rid of the manager sooner than thought.

The penny's dropped. Maybe this isn't as mental as it seems at first glance...

Edited by JoeP

Yes... because he's just signed a new contract...? Don't know what point you're trying to make but it's fairly obvious that whatever league we're in, Corney wants LJ for the long term.

Looking at the top 10 in this league, all the managers have either been there for a while or have experience of this league:

- Orient, Posh, Walsall, Port Vale, MK have all had their managers for a while (Warburton at Brentford is building on Rosler's success who was there for a few years.)

- Wolves, Preston, Rotherham, Swindon all have some money behind them and fairly experienced managers.

Basically the teams doing well have had a manager who's built a team. We can't afford an experienced manager so Corney's going down the long term route. It's like some people want us to be in relegation battles for years, Corney's not done much wrong here...

Delighted as a Johnson fan. The point is not what Johnson gets but rather the protection Latics get. As a fan I believe Johnson will be hot property way before the end of this contract. Should he go there will be a nice bit of compensation but just as he had a short, medium and long term plan for our club when appointed I'm sure he has his own plans which, I venture to suggest include a long stay with us to learn and prove himself. I believe part of the proof will be getting our club promoted.

RUBBISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now you have a bloody crystal ball to predict SC's decision and reasons and/or explanation, do you?

using the same crystal ball as you , but not using my rose coloured speks,

please explain why it was a good decision to offer this contract now and not at the end of the season when we will have a clearer idea of where we are .

please explain why it was a good decision to offer this contract now and not at the end of the season when we will have a clearer idea of where we are .

Maybe Tarky said -

You sign , i'll sign !!!!!!!!

I'm gald we are going for stability and this squad with 1 or two additions should be more than capable of avoiding relegation. The fact that SC is backing Johnson means he must be prepared to allow him to bring in players that he needs and stand whatever that cost will be. Bringing in players must have been discussed during the contract talks!

Calm down, have you forgotten what the line of discussion was;

1. If we get relegated will LJ still be in charge in August

2. Reply from me was YES.

3. Your reply was 'only because SC cannot afford to sack him!'

4. My reply was put away your crystal ball, You have no idea what SC would do or say, in that hypothetical situation.

5. See above-trying to start a new discussion;

You see my Mrs does try that also, so I do have previous!

Stick to the process or start a new argument and I will gladly clarify things for you!

Calm down, have you forgotten what the line of discussion was;

1. If we get relegated will LJ still be in charge in August

2. Reply from me was YES.

3. Your reply was 'only because SC cannot afford to sack him!'

4. My reply was put away your crystal ball, You have no idea what SC would do or say, in that hypothetical situation.

5. See above-trying to start a new discussion;

You see my Mrs does try that also, so I do have previous!

Stick to the process or start a new argument and I will gladly clarify things for you!

so why was it not a good idea to wait till the season ends ? unless manure are sniffing round LJ ?

Or the words awaydays needed to use was well thought and highly regarded & a upcoming coach by others within the football game which made Corney and the rest of the board to give him the job.