Johnson signs 3 and a half year deal

Regarding point 3. Have I missed something. Who has LJ brought in from Liverpool since he took over? I don't see where everybody gets this impression from. Is it because their manager contributes to the club by paying £4 to attend reserve games?

Overheard SC say to Brendan Rodgers last night " Have you got a season ticket here".

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding point 3. Have I missed something. Who has LJ brought in from Liverpool since he took over? I don't see where everybody gets this impression from. Is it because their manager contributes to the club by paying £4 to attend reserve games?

Time will tell.....

I can understand people's concerns due to this seasons performance but I'm personally really happy about this.

It's his first season as a manager and he's shown a lot of promise thus far -

1. Brought in some decent players - Korey Smith being one...even before LJ joined us

2. Creating a team built on exciting, passing play on the pitch

3. Forging some strong links with the likes of Liverpool in the Prem and teams in lower leagues with promising players

4. Shown that he's decisive when striving for success - getting rid of Rooney as one example, Schemltz another

5. Not prepared to take any :censored: from players - again Rooney, Rusnak etc

6. Been unlucky with some players - Montano for obvious reasons

7. Been unlucky with some players failing to deliver - Rooney and Schmeltz

8. Young, driven, enthusiastic...could easily afford not to work I understand due to property empire but wants to manage, wants to succeed and wants to win

9. Connected with the majority of the fans has great PR skills as a manager

We've struggled this season but it's his first season and what do you expect with inexperience? He needs a season or two to develop consistency, wheel and deal, imprint his work ethic through the whole team and squad, achieve success.

We've been impatient for a while, hiring and firing managers, chopping and changing playing personnel and it's led to failure time and time again.

About time we committed to a young, hungry, passionate manager who displaying all the necessary skills and potential

Well done LJ and here's to a long and successful career at Oldham Athletic

Haha

To all those who seem to think LJ has taken us to the bottom 4-this team was assembled pretty much in one close season. Some results notwithstanding (bear in mind our heaviest defeat thus far is 2-0) I think we are playing some decent stuff and there is a renewed sense of optimism and positivity around the club.

:censored:ing hell, is this a piss take?

I'm not for one minute suggesting he should be sacked, but how are our recent performances, League position or entertainment value worthy of a three year deal?

We are edging precariously close to the drop zone and the guy who is taking us there has just been given a long term contract...

Exactly that

:censored:ing hell, is this a piss take?

I'm not for one minute suggesting he should be sacked, but how are our recent performances, League position or entertainment value worthy of a three year deal?

We are edging precariously close to the drop zone and the guy who is taking us there has just been given a long term contract...

Exactly where I am.

We've been stuck in this league for years now because we've chopped and changed managers. Corney's seen some potential in Johnson and has backed him, and with the new stand in the next couple of years things are looking up. Might also be a clue that Corney's staying for a few more years.

The timing isn't great considering form, but if he was going to be staying anyway it might be a boost that he's signed now.

So we have given a long term contract to a manager in the middle of a relegation battle (like it or not - we are in one)

We are no better off than we were (POINTS WISE) than we were under Penney. Before I'm accused of it saying "let's get Penney back" or stating "Penney was doing better" or anything like that, I am not doing.

I am saying a contract for that amount of time is bizzare. In real terms is: he doing a great job?

The only way to get out of this is to give faith to the manager, but such a long term contract isn't a great idea for me. Unless its full of clauses.

Edited by pukka

I can understand people's concerns due to this seasons performance but I'm personally really happy about this.

It's his first season as a manager and he's shown a lot of promise thus far -

1. Brought in some decent players - Korey Smith being one...even before LJ joined us

2. Creating a team built on exciting, passing play on the pitch

3. Forging some strong links with the likes of Liverpool in the Prem and teams in lower leagues with promising players

4. Shown that he's decisive when striving for success - getting rid of Rooney as one example, Schemltz another

5. Not prepared to take any :censored: from players - again Rooney, Rusnak etc

6. Been unlucky with some players - Montano for obvious reasons

7. Been unlucky with some players failing to deliver - Rooney and Schmeltz

8. Young, driven, enthusiastic...could easily afford not to work I understand due to property empire but wants to manage, wants to succeed and wants to win

9. Connected with the majority of the fans has great PR skills as a manager

We've struggled this season but it's his first season and what do you expect with inexperience? He needs a season or two to develop consistency, wheel and deal, imprint his work ethic through the whole team and squad, achieve success.

We've been impatient for a while, hiring and firing managers, chopping and changing playing personnel and it's led to failure time and time again.

About time we committed to a young, hungry, passionate manager who displaying all the necessary skills and potential

Well done LJ and here's to a long and successful career at Oldham Athletic

I keep reading about this "property empire" - he just did a house up and sold it, didn't he?

LJ has us flirting with relegation in his first full season and he gets a 4 year contract. Ronnie Moore leads us to just shy of the playoffs in his full season and he gets fired.

And they say football is a results business! :lol:

Nothing to do with results... Our so knowledgable fans were behind the sacking of Moore.

LJ is a man with great potential for me he shows more knowledge and decision making than Dickov - the latter persevering with under performing players the former seeing failures and getting rid ie: Shmeltz and Rooney. Rome was not built in a day he is a damn sight more refreshing than Penney and has more substance than "the boys tried ever so hard" Dickov - yes we are in a relegation fight - we have been every year since Sheridan let everyone have a piss up at the dogs!! Let's ride this season out - we won't go down and if we do :censored: it lets build from there but when we don't lets have a settled team a settled manager and see where such a thing takes us I am sick to :censored:ing death of new manager new team nigh on every year

The devil is in the detail

Until we know the clauses, and I assume there would be some in Oldham's favour, have faith in SC judgement.

LJ is probably the lowest paid manager in the division, and is willing to sign for presumably peanuts to give himself the few years experience required to be the best manager he can be. SC knows this and has taken advantage of it.

The question we should be asking is now that SC has committed himself to a new stand and a long term manager, will he now commit funds to build the team?

Jesus wept.......lets have some positivity instead of this continual doom and gloom. The board have obviously seen some potential in the guy's ability to manage this football club.

I'm pretty sure if he realised in a years time he wasn't making the desired progress he's the type of guy who would walk away without demanding any sort of payoff.

Let's give him some time FFS!

I'm as negative as they come but, for some reason, i'm absolutely thrilled with this. Great move by the club. We need stability. I'd rather have a young hungry manager than some old :censored:ing dinosaur like Phil Brown or a total headcase like Graham Westley . We've been wank for years. Granted LJ has made mistakes, and our league position isn't great, but i've seen enough so far to fill me with optimism.

Its the negativity that's killing this club. The club has been shrouded in it for years. We now have a young manager who has untold potential and is trying to build something from top to bottom the results of which take time.We have the new stand on the horizon after years of :censored:ing about

Results on the pitch could turn in a heartbeat, we have all seen this before, that's football! LJ is trying to build something that can last and still negativity surrounds it from all sides.I thought this is what people wanted? A plan? direction? You now have it in place and are only looking short term

For the first time in years I can see something happening and see the club trying slowly to find direction.

18 months time and I predict the picture will look very different at Boundary Park on and off the pitch. I'm looking forward.

I get the impression Corney could shag some fans' wives and they'd thank him for it.

This is :censored:ing lunacy, even by Latics' standards.

If we go down, which is a distinct possibility, the guy in charge will still have four years on his contract. Mental.

I've said a few times over the past few months, I'm unconvinced by Johnson. There's no evidence to suggest he's any better than Dickov, who was sacked with us in an almost identical league position, whereas Johnson is rewarded on the back of an awful run of form with a longer contract than I can remember any Latics manager having.

I'm pretty sure if he realised in a years time he wasn't making the desired progress he's the type of guy who would walk away without demanding any sort of payoff.

Yeah, I'm sure that's how it would work...