What can we hope for out of this season?

Dependant on our next few games, I would wager that we will be battling out for 12th spot with Port vale and Gillingham come Carlisle away (we will finish 14th after a 3-0 final day defeat). Think its a bit too late to be dreaming of a playoff push, and if we lose to bristol on Saturday we could be only 3 points above the drop, and the scaremongerers will be back blowing the LJ out horn!

next 4 games are crucial. We all must look them as "winnable" but we are so inconsistant.

4 wins and the play off pack will be looking over their shoulders. 4 defeats and we are in big trouble and its us looking over ours.

I think we may take 6 points from them and will sit nicley mid table by the end of the season which would be an improvement on the last 3. A step in the right direction for next season.

However there is always one team to make a surge each year, sometmes they make it sometimes they dont ala Walsall, they missed the play offs last season by a place I think? .

I live in hope we can surge this year but it is only hope. Where would we be with out that?

There's a lot of work to be done yet, you usually have one or two teams cut adrift at the bottom by now but it's not the case this time.

Ideal scenario would be to get to 50-52 points asap, then give a good run out to the fringe players and decide once and for all whether they are up to it.

Even with a surge we'll be nowhere near. It's too much ground to make up on good sides. A surge pulls you away from the sides losing below you but Walsall and Rotherham are picking up plenty of points so even if you're winning you're not necessarily closing in, you're just keeping up.

We're also horribly inconsistent and whilst we have it in the team to beat anyone on our day we are also more than capable of (and experienced in) losing or at least dropping points in the games when we look to build momentum.

I do think we'll continue to have a better second half of the season than the shower of :censored:e we've had over the past few years. Mid-table would be a good sign of progression with a view to at least being one of the taggers on to the playoff hunt the season after.

On a side note, looking at the table and form, I reckon Bradford may go down.

Big run of home games coming up.

Start to turn our home games into points, and we'll rise up the table.

The worry is our inconsistency - just as we start to string a winning run of games together; knowing us; we'll ship a horrid goal and it'll end as soon as it started.

Hoping for decent progression; and a climb up the table. But - TBH; I'm just interested in progression; season on season. So, on that basis alone; higher than last season is the starting point; and getting higher & higher the aim year on year.

I expect and have consistently said that we will finish mid table by which I mean the middle third. We will easily have our best finish for five seasons and will finish this season with the core of our team for next year.

Despite the nonsense written here the squad has been improved in the transfer window and as a result we are stronger. There is no point in simply looking for the best possible finish, what matters is next season and the one after that so I want to see LJ experimenting/blooding players once we are safe.

I had a wager with a friend before the start of this season that we will be top six next season. I expect to win! Lee Johnson is the one!

Edited by Hands on

Best we can hope for is a top-half finish.

Realistically, anything above 21st would be an achievement and would give us ground to kick on next season, in league 1.

Don't agree with the last bit. We've been saying this for how long now? Just survive the season and kick on next year? Not enough for me.

Are the expectations of the fans too high? Personally I don't think some fans expectations are high enough.

This isn't based on the fact that we were rather good 20 years ago but on what this Oldham team in 2014 is capable of. How many games this season have we lost that we should of won we should of scored more goals, we should of kept more clean sheets.

The fact is this team has should all over itself this season. Their is no reason why this team shouldn't be top half, and several of these players can play championship football in the next few years if they put their minds to it.

I think we as fans have a right to expect a little more from them. I'm not saying we should demand to steamroller teams by half time, but atleast believe in this team a little bit more. That extra bit of belief might have been the difference in all those narrow defeats this season.

sorry boys but play offs are well and truly out of the question, it was only a couple of weeks ago we were one point above the drop zone, anything above 15th id say has been a decent season but the main priority at the moment is getting enough points to stay in this division.

There'll be no play off challenge whilst Corney stays in charge, would be his worst nightmare.

It could well be his worst nightmare but luckily for us it's not up to him. A play-off challenge is up to the manager and players. Corney's job is to keep us solvent.

If the suggestion is he wouldn't attempt to recklessly fund it that may also be true. There is evidence that in recent history about 25% of the Football League have gone bust chasing or maintaining that little 'dolly daydream'.

It could well be his worst nightmare but luckily for us it's not up to him. A play-off challenge is up to the manager and players. Corney's job is to keep us solvent.

If the suggestion is he wouldn't attempt to recklessly fund it that may also be true. There is evidence that in recent history about 25% of the Football League have gone bust chasing or maintaining that little 'dolly daydream'.

Nope, it pretty much is up to Corney.

The two/three times that we got in the mix we had a healthy playing budget - since Blitz and Gazal departed it's been pretty much downhill.

You don't have to spend big to do well in this league, doesn't half help though.

Nope, it pretty much is up to Corney.

The two/three times that we got in the mix we had a healthy playing budget - since Blitz and Gazal departed it's been pretty much downhill.

You don't have to spend big to do well in this league, doesn't half help though.

Being in the mix wasn't paying dividends or increasing the gate. I often wonder how close we were to being bumped again when Blitz and Gazal baled out.