New Stand - Prestige Friendly

I assume we'll be having one to open the new stand......

LJ could probably get Liverpool with his friendship with Rodgers but do we really want them again? If they were reigning champions though........

City would be most likely for me. Again, especially if Champions.

Real Madrid charged Bournemouth a fortune didn't they? Barcelona would probably do the same. :grin:

Someone like Napoli or a Athletic Bilbao would be good.

Eintract Frankfurt?

Edited by HarryBosch

I've heard a rumour that Frankfurt have been talked with over it. Not sure its a by-product of the other ones that have suggested we might be playing them in a pre-season friendly anyway at some point.

Either way they get my vote with the proviso that we go play them in Frankfurt and have it alternate annually between ours and theirs.

Bournemouth charged the fans 50 pound each so they made there money back. Plus Madrid did play there first team. What about a game against Celtic would love to beat them.

We could do without a reconstruction job on the new stand after the first game it's used...

The last prestige friendly to mark a ground improvement was, I think, to celebrate the floodlights being erected. we were the last Football League team in Lancashire to have them.

3 oct 1961, a crowd of 14750 saw us draw 3-3 with Burnley, league champions in 1960, and in the season of the match referred to finished second in the league and got to the FA Cup final.

And no namby pamby players in those days - the night before Latics had played in a league match at Accrington, losing 1 0.

An Oldham vs Eintracht friendly to open the new stand would be perfect. But I have a feeling we'd probably have to do a bit of asking around before we'd find a team prepared to travel over. As mentioned I'd rather it not be one of the Old Firm, the policing costs would be stupid just to start off with

An Oldham vs Eintracht friendly to open the new stand would be perfect. But I have a feeling we'd probably have to do a bit of asking around before we'd find a team prepared to travel over. As mentioned I'd rather it not be one of the Old Firm, the policing costs would be stupid just to start off with

Would Eintracht Frankfurt fill the ground though? Most Oldham fans aren't even aware of the link. I am but I couldn't name one of their players.

It needs to be a team that will get fairweather fans in who might appreciate the new surroundings and come back for a few league games.

The last prestige friendly to mark a ground improvement was, I think, to celebrate the floodlights being erected. we were the last Football League team in Lancashire to have them.

3 oct 1961, a crowd of 14750 saw us draw 3-3 with Burnley, league champions in 1960, and in the season of the match referred to finished second in the league and got to the FA Cup final.

And no namby pamby players in those days - the night before Latics had played in a league match at Accrington, losing 1 0.

Wasn't there a friendly to celebrate the opening of the Ford Stand?..I seem to remember those in the lower half got drenched.

We also had a friendly against a top Brazilian side, but can't remember why that was arranged.

Edited by BP1960

The Frankfurt link is all blown out of proportion there is about a handful of their fans who know of if it the rest couldn't care less.

Regarding the old firm if not Celtic why not rangers they played sheffield Wednesday no trouble. We need to look at teams who would want to come down here and both old firms would want too and would fill the RRE.

I don't want to be playing a Liverpool Manchester United reserve teams and most of there players will be coming back from the World Cup

The Frankfurt link is all blown out of proportion there is about a handful of their fans who know of if it the rest couldn't care less.

Regarding the old firm if not Celtic why not rangers they played sheffield Wednesday no trouble. We need to look at teams who would want to come down here and both old firms would want too and would fill the RRE.

I don't want to be playing a Liverpool Manchester United reserve teams and most of there players will be coming back from the World Cup

It needs to be prestige opposition.

I seem to remember a Latics fan link with Rangers, don't know if it still exists or not?