From small acorns....

News today that Scholes (net worth £19m) along with the Nevilles, Butt, Giggs and Beckham are fronting a Qatari led consortium to buy United from the Glazers.

Unsure what the purchase price is but for c£8 million would that buy the club and the ground with just the running costs as outgoings? Is the £6 million that TTA (hate that term but easier to refer to) have tied into the club in relation to the land purchase or actually invested into the "club". Effectively meaning whoever wanted to buy would have to pay £6 million to repay debts plus option to pay an extra £x million for the land??

Hypothetically speaking; if they or anybody else could buy our club then do you think with promotions our club could return the initial investment and become self-sufficient in the top end of the Championship or Prem?

Huge slice of luck on signings, management and tactics is needed but a moderate increase in investment in the team but over a 2-3 year plan increases the probability of promotion and from small acorns.....

Take Chris Moore as an example, if he held on for a second season with the players Dowie acquired and the momentum we gained up to the QPR second leg, in my opinion we would have gained promotion. Retaining the nucleus of some very promising players - who have since proven themselves at a much higher level - then in my opinion I think we could have consolidated in the Championship building the next generations of fans and gradually increasing our attendances.

What I'm trying to say is if my assumptions on the asking price, and what is gained in return, are correct then someone ambitious, with renewed drive and determination could succeed with our club where others have failed. A very credible project for someone who could afford to initially lose £20 million and achieve their own Football Manager success into the Prem and income from just one or possibly two seasons could repay the outlay.

Only doubt is how quickly we could grow our regular fanbase to provide cash flow to supplement that investment.

News today that Scholes (net worth £19m) along with the Nevilles, Butt, Giggs and Beckham are fronting a Qatari led consortium to buy United from the Glazers.

Unsure what the purchase price is but for c£8 million would that buy the club and the ground with just the running costs as outgoings? Is the £6 million that TTA (hate that term but easier to refer to) have tied into the club in relation to the land purchase or actually invested into the "club". Effectively meaning whoever wanted to buy would have to pay £6 million to repay debts plus option to pay an extra £x million for the land??

Hypothetically speaking; if they or anybody else could buy our club then do you think with promotions our club could return the initial investment and become self-sufficient in the top end of the Championship or Prem?

Huge slice of luck on signings, management and tactics is needed but a moderate increase in investment in the team but over a 2-3 year plan increases the probability of promotion and from small acorns.....

Take Chris Moore as an example, if he held on for a second season with the players Dowie acquired and the momentum we gained up to the QPR second leg, in my opinion we would have gained promotion. Retaining the nucleus of some very promising players - who have since proven themselves at a much higher level - then in my opinion I think we could have consolidated in the Championship building the next generations of fans and gradually increasing our attendances.

What I'm trying to say is if my assumptions on the asking price, and what is gained in return, are correct then someone ambitious, with renewed drive and determination could succeed with our club where others have failed. A very credible project for someone who could afford to initially lose £20 million and achieve their own Football Manager success into the Prem and income from just one or possibly two seasons could repay the outlay.

Only doubt is how quickly we could grow our regular fanbase to provide cash flow to supplement that investment.

Hmmm I think someone has put 2 and 2 together and got 5 Giggs and Neville are taking over Salford City

Unsure what the purchase price is but for c£8 million would that buy the club and the ground with just the running costs as outgoing....

I think you've got your sources all mixed up. It's Salford City FC or 92 as they will be called if it gets green lit; championship football within 15 years - good luck to them. So that's them, Fylde, Hednesford, Halifax, North Ferriby and probably some more all laying claim to League football as a long term target. We shall see.

Fleetwood have done it coming from the north west counties league to the football league in a lot less than 15 years because of their rich owner putting the cash in to buy their way through the divisions.Their case is the exception though.A lot can happen in 15 years so it'll be interesting to see what happens with Salford.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/10726051/Manchester-Uniteds-Class-of-92-in-talks-over-Old-Trafford-takeover-bid.html

The above implies it is United that they're looking to takeover. Mind you the Telegraph cites the Sun as its source, so it could just as easily be crossed wires.

Nobody is going to pay anything like that for Latics. As for the rest of it, remember TTA's five-year-plan?

I find it strange that new teams are popping up all the time when established teams are finding it so difficult to survive.

Probably doesn't cost an awful lot more and is the quickest way to circumvent any supporters arguments that just because they are bankrolling the club, they are only temporary custodians. (See also Barry Hearn v Leyton Orient supporters)

If the purchase of Salford was to come to fruition, it'd be interesting to see the effect on FC United support. I would predict that a good few would switch allegiances.

Edited by Twisbrogan

Probably doesn't cost an awful lot more and is the quickest way to circumvent any supporters arguments that just because they are bankrolling the club, they are only temporary custodians. (See also Barry Hearn v Leyton Orient supporters)

If the purchase of Salford was to come to fruition, it'd be interesting to see the effect on FC United support. I would predict that a good few would switch allegiances.

I wonder why Paul Scholes is involved this scheme rather than benefiting the Latics ?

I wonder why Paul Scholes is involved this scheme rather than benefiting the Latics ?

This is a mystery to me too, personally feel like weve missed a trick here, where any of the class of 92 part of the boundary park juniors I seem to remember ? In any case just for his connections within the game and on a corperate level he could of been invited onto the board, shame really. Edited by yarddog73

This is a mystery to me too, personally feel like weve missed a trick here, where any of the class of 92 part of the boundary park juniors I seem to remember ? In any case just for his connections within the game and on a corperate level he could of been invited onto the board, shame really.

Both Nevilles were for a time, no?

Cos it's his mates and he trusts them? Not just a black hole, as it would be giving money to Latics.

Might get the odd one or two seeing what it's like however on the surface it's basically a takeover, name change and offering attractive professional contracts in a bid to charge up the leagues - contrary to popular belief, not what FC are about. However the key here again is the land, they'll buy the club, move it to their facility, bang a load of houses on Moore Lane and that'll be that. You'll never see Salford anywhere near L2.

Sorry I used Scholes and his mates as an example as I saw the article today. I wasn't linking them to buying us....

My OP was more the questions of -

1. What is asking price for OAFC

2. £6m is quoted as the TTA loan paid back if we reach Prem but is that £6m outlay on the club or club AND land i.e. if someone came up with £6m would that buy the club AND land therefore severing TTA ties with OAFC? I'm just confused as surely if TTA are not expecting this back until we reach Prem then the new owners gets the land, free to develop and IF we reach the Prem then the £6m loan is called in but new owners own club AND land.

3. What were peoples opinions on someone stumping up that cash, investing a moderate sum extra and the probability of reaching the Prem.

OK. Barry needs to clarify what the sale price is and what it includes. If were for open sale then if Barry refuses could a fan approach and ask?

Corney regularly states were up for sale so let's understand the figures involved. Not saying a fan-based consortium but we can advertise this openly, market it in a way to entice something with some wealth to happily throw money away to return the glory days of the early nineties, battling in the shadow of City and United.

£10 million to the mega rich is f*** all and one of the City's Sheikh mates probably has that down the back of their backseat of their Bentley.

The oil-rich love football. Buy Oldham, play Football Manager, deliver Prem football, secure your return and battle it out with your neighbours. Send them a DVD of our promotion year, our dalliance with the cup runs, how we blooded Liverpool and Evertons nose a few seasons back.

It's dreamland but delivering he impossible is something those type thrive on....

It's simple really. The land is worth what the land is worth and any buyer will have to pay that. There is no pressure on them to sell because land prices are recovering.

The £6m debt is worthless and the barrier to the two absent amigos selling because they want their money back. A deal could no doubt be struck if someone was daft enough to pay a premium simply because they want to own Latics. Incidentally because of this debt it isn't Corney but the two absent amigos who have control of the company.

Apart from said premium if you were to buy Latics you would just be throwing your money away. If I had the money I would throw it.

Deal to buy Salford City is on apparently

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/26775674

Deal to buy Salford City is on apparently

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/26775674

View from the Ammies:

They haven't really 'bought' us because we were never 'owned'...

The MEN have never shown the slightest interest in Salford City and their recent article is based on the few known facts mixed in with a huge dollop of supposition. Our name is not changing to Salford 92, we will still be playing at Moor Lane and the committee running the club this season will be running it on a day-to-day basis next season.

We do not have too many fans but those we've got are amongst the most committed I've ever come across. 'Proper' football fans, I would say. The club's committee have worked astoundingly hard - in some cases for decades - to keep Salford City going and competing at as high a standard as we can manage. With the crowds we attract you could argue that we are punching a bit above our weight in the NPL and that is down to the people who have put half a lifetime's care and dedication into the job. Not the sort of folk to hand their club over to just anybody, you might think, and you'd be right.

The group of individuals who have chosen to become involved in the club were able to offer a very tempting vision - a vibrant, community focused football club who will look to encourage, develop and use local talent. A chance in a million to take Salford City forward in a manner that was only a pipe dream previously.

It had to be taken and it was. Like every football club we hope to extend our support and the publicity generated will attract football fans from within the city and beyond who will at first be interested in how far we can go. That interest - we hope - will turn into the genuine support that the club will certainly need in order to progress.

Make no mistake, our 'gang of five' are in for the long haul and are genuinely excited about the future of the club. A breath of fresh air perhaps - people who have done very well out of the game and are now disposed to put something of real value back in.