Peterborough United vs Oldham Athletic

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were the better side in the first half..... up against it in the second..... But felt threatening on the break - especially if we can get Poleon into the game. Well worth a point. Lots better than we have been for a number of years. All credit to Johnson. Top 6 might prove a bridge too far, but a delight to watch us keep the ball. We're definitely looking up!

I'm on the way back from the game, surprisingly I'm a little disappointed in how we played which shows how far this team has come!

Don't get me wrong we were Dogged, determined, willing to put bodies on the line and showed real grit against a team that are always strong at home but I felt we could have imposed ourselves a bit more rather than just get at them on the break

Defensively we were always on the edge and Kusunga looked rusty

Winchester started the game really well and I was surprised he was taken off unless he had a knock

Jones and Kelly again showed how they worked well in tandem

Wilkinson will split opinion I thought he was decent but drifted in and out of the game, Poleon made a real impact when he came on.

All in all a great point but all these draws are putting more pressure on the home games

On a final note I thought the fans were immense and they are really gaining a name for themselves as a vocal away following or as my Peterborough mate called us noisy annoying bastards!

Heard the Ferguson interview after the game and he said they should have won it by 4 or 5, what a feckin :censored: just like his old fella. He's obviously carrying a chip on his shoulder from the 5 4 game last season.

Think he must of had a word with the ref at half time as he came out and booked 2 of our lads for nothing within 5 minures of the restart, fair point 2 teams having a go could of pinched it but so could they, Wilson best player for us Marcus Maddison for them, thought Kusunga and Brown where shaky at times.

I didn't think we played well today. gave away too many silly balls and didn't look that comfortable on the ball. But, to go to Peterborough, not have a great performance and get a point, that's the signs of a good team. There first was because we,stood watching him, the 2nd seem to take forever from the free kick to go in. It felt as though we had lost at the end, but I'd have taken a point any day from this fixture. Not pretty but job done.

Heard the Ferguson interview after the game and he said they should have won it by 4 or 5, what a feckin :censored: just like his old fella. He's obviously carrying a chip on his shoulder from the 5 4 game last season.

They should have won it by four or five.

At least that's the game I watched, lots of lost possession, Brown was caught in possession too many times, many slips and slides and a very rusty centre half.

And we got a point.

The real positive for me is that we could have lost it by four or five and we didn't.

It was almost the perfect away performance. Not in a beautiful way, but in a hard working gritty way that relied on teamwork rather than individual brilliance.

We got the early goal, gave them possession in their own half but hounded them well when they came towards us and looked threatening on the break.

Alas, a moment of hesitation from Jones and Forte gave the ball away for their well struck equaliser and 1-1 was probably a fair half time score, especially as we'd managed to clear one off the line.

Second half a referee who certainly seemed to favour the home side awarded them a free kick with was sweetly struck side foot into the top left corner. First viewing had me thinking that despite the perfect placement Rachubka should have done better but local radio playback hints at a deflection.

From then on they had a little bit more of the ball but I couldn't really see them adding a third. We were threatening on the break with Wilkinson good with the ball at his feet and Forte missing two excellent headed chances. In the end the equaliser was a soft one - corner, unmarked header, goal. We sat deep after that with Poleon almost a second right back. It was an odd tactic because I suspect if we'd gone for the jugular they'd have buckled.

That said, 2-2 is a decent result.

Rachubka 6

B Wilson 7

C Brown 5 (a bit rusty and thrown in at left back, but very committed)

Kusunga 5 (rusty too)

J Wilson 7

Winchester 7

Forte 6

Jones 6

Kelly 7

Philliskirk 6

Wilkinson 6

Poleon 6

Dayton 5

Nobody really bad. Nobody standing out. Good all round team effort though.

Edited by opinions4u

Just got back, I honestly thought they were marginally the better side, Poor first goal to give away, 3 of ours looking at the ball instead of getting it, the 2nd what Rabchuka was doing I just dont know, he had the wall set correctly how it went through his hands I still dont believe, but fair play for the decent save late on.

Once we got it back to 2-2 we should have kept pressing but instead we seemed to drop deeper and invite them on. But Forte could have won it for us with a bit better finishing. As for our fans, well that was one set of noisy bastards, 15 minutes before the game and all game too. You couldn't hear the Peterboro fans but as my lad said perhaps their end had the same acoustics as the Chaddy.

The Palmerston Arms was worth the visit, top stout and fantastic home made pies.

It was almost the perfect away performance. Not in a beautiful way, but in a hard working gritty way that relied on teamwork rather than individual brilliance.

We got the early goal, gave them possession in their own half but hounded them well when they came towards us and looked threatening on the break.

Alas, a moment of hesitation from Jones and Forte gave the ball away for their well struck equaliser and 1-1 was probably a fair half time score, especially as we'd managed to clear one off the line.

Second half a referee who certainly seemed to favour the home side awarded them a free kick with was sweetly struck side foot into the top left corner. First viewing had me thinking that despite the perfect placement Rachubka should have done better but local radio playback hints at a deflection.

From then on they had a little bit more of the ball but I couldn't really see them adding a third. We were threatening on the break with Wilkinson good with the ball at his feet and Forte missing two excellent headed chances. In the end the equaliser was a soft one - corner, unmarked header, goal. We sat deep after that with Poleon almost a second right back. It was an odd tactic because I suspect if we'd gone for the jugular they'd have buckled.

That said, 2-2 is a decent result.

Rachubka 6

B Wilson 7

C Brown 5 (a bit rusty and thrown in at left back, but very committed)

Kusunga 5 (rusty too)

Winchester 7

Forte 6

Jones 6

Kelly 7

Philliskirk 6

Wilkinson 6

Poleon 6

Dayton 5

Nobody really bad. Nobody standing out. Good all round team effort though.

Not bad for 10 men. :wink:

Good report as usual though O4U.

Edited by BP1960

Good report O4U - first time in a while we didn't boss the midfield because Maddison is a very good player and was their main threat. We had chances and I agree with others I thought we could have pressed more after our opener and then after the equaliser. But they hit the post twice and had crosses go missing yet we looked dangerous on the break in second half. I thought Poleon was a good sub as it changed our play for the better. Second half after 70 mins some players looked a bit leggy probably because the pitch was so wet. All in all we deserved the point against a good side. But how did the ref miss those bear hugs from their centre half on Wilkinson?

Winchester started the game really well and I was surprised he was taken off unless he had a knock

Said on LP he was holding his groin, did he look injured? Hopefully just brought off as a precaution.

"It was a surprise to see Oldham retreat so readily after drawing level as they clearly had the skills to cause Posh further problems."

Said on LP he was holding his groin, did he look injured? Hopefully just brought off as a precaution.

They were getting at us down that side and I was thinking after a good first half that Winchester seemed ineffective.

I was just a bit taken aback that once we scored we played so deep with a front four of Poleon, Philliskirk, Wilkinson, Forte where the wide two became full backs in front of full backs.

Still, as much as the woodwork helped us stay in it we had our own chances to win it after this approach was taken.

Good result. Not so sure on Rachubka for either of their goals. First one didn't seem to be hit with too much power from distance and bobbled it's way in off the post. The free kick was hit to his side (not wall side), and he reached over with his left hand when it looked easier to throw his right arm up...

Good result. Not so sure on Rachubka for either of their goals. First one didn't seem to be hit with too much power from distance and bobbled it's way in off the post. The free kick was hit to his side (not wall side), and he reached over with his left hand when it looked easier to throw his right arm up...

I won't point the finger for the first.

On the second he took a step to his left. If there is a deflection maybe he can justify that movement and not reaching it. It never crossed my mind that the ball went anywhere near another player though.