Great Latics away followings

Barnsley away, 90/91 - 6000 was it?

I was 15, my dad drove. I remember us coming over the brow of a hill about 2pm that overlooked the open away end thinking ":censored:, we'll never get in there"

Ipswich that season - our most important game in generations but the amount we took on such a long journey was still impressive. Was it 4500?

Southampton in the Littlewoods Cup run - hundreds getting locked out on the south coast, midweek. Ridiculous.

I hear we took even more on occasion in the 70's.........

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Barnsley away, 90/91 - 6000 was it?

I was 15, my dad drove. I remember us coming over the brow of a hill about 2pm that overlooked the open away end thinking ":censored:, we'll never get in there"

Ipswich that season - our most important game in generations but the amount we took on such a long journey was still impressive. Was it 4500?

Southampton in the Littlewoods Cup run - hundreds getting locked out on the south coast, midweek. Ridiculous.

I hear we took even more on occasion in the 70's.........

I remember southport away , at Easter promotion season 1974

Think the crowd was around 9 or 10,000 with around 8,000 Latics

?

I went to hull as a kid (I was 6) in the championship season. Ny first ever league away game after the FA Cup semi at Maine Road.

That hull game there seemed to be thousands.. but I was a kid.

Other league big followings I remember being at..

Villa 92/93

Blackpool 97

Wigan and Huddersfield 2003

Edited by pukka

If I remember Ipswich away was about 2500-3000 I went when Sean McCarthy made his debut a couple of seasons later and there was less than 100 there, the season we went up I went to nearly every game Barnsley away was well over 5000 on a hot sunny day with the Junior Latics in another stand, Sheff Wed away that season was a big crowd 35000 I was in there main stand as I missed out on a ticket for the away end, David Currie scored after about 2 minutes and I couldnt help jumping up luckily a few more latics did the same around me, got a load of :censored: when they made it 2-2 but it was still a good day out.

Barnsley away, we won 1-0 (promotion season) I urge any younger Latics fans to go on YouTube and find it as it will send shivers down your spine when you see us celebrate. Amazing.

Just tried to YouTube it but can't see it, anyone got a link?

Edited by wogghead1

Seeing as my first away match wasn't until 1997, the best I've been a part of was Liverpool in the cup and Wigan in the League. One of my personal favourites was when we went to Huddersfield in the 2006/07 season as the volume seemed to double the numbers.

Out of interest how many did we take to Bolton in the 1994 FA Cup? That looked like a fantastic turnout

Seeing as my first away match wasn't until 1997, the best I've been a part of was Liverpool in the cup and Wigan in the League. One of my personal favourites was when we went to Huddersfield in the 2006/07 season as the volume seemed to double the numbers.

Out of interest how many did we take to Bolton in the 1994 FA Cup? That looked like a fantastic turnout

I was in the burnden terrace for this and nearly got my head kicked in when we scored!!!

Liverpool in cup 1977? Minimum 10,000, some say as many as 15,000

Northwich, same season, had to be played at Maine Road because too many Latics fans went to Northwich for tickets (myself included). Gate 27,000. Work out for yourself how many Latics fans but the Kippax was heaving

York away 1974, 8,000 at least in a crowd of 16,000

York away 1971, night game. At least 5,000. In fact all York games in the early to mid 70's had huge followings including 2,000+ for a pre season friendly

Rochdale in cup 1970. "Took" both ends as they say. 8,000

As you say we took some big followings back in the day.

Huddersfield in 2006 was insane, think it was announced as 2,800, but my old man and I were queueing unail about 10 mins into the game and we were standing at the top for ages until a steward cleared one of the first rows for us. Was absolutely heaving that day, steward commented they weren't expecting so many of us to turn up! What an atmosphere, what a performance and what a day. 2009 NY day was absolutely rammed too.

Also remember Wigan in about 2001 under Stitch, lost 3-1 after leading, may have been because I was young and we didn't travel particularly well around that time, but seemed like an absolutely massive away attendance. Bury in 02 was mental as well, remember a huge number had congregated in the stand to the left as well as the packed away end behind the goal. Chaos when last min equaliser went in!

That Barnsley game in 90/91 was amazing, the Kop was packed and half of the seats in the main stand upper was full of Latics. I'm sure somebody on here posted a clip of the goal, Prozac maybe? You can't see all the support because the camera is located in the stand where our seated fans are.

4000 for the Wigan game with the Wayne Andrews goal was a good effort too.

That Barnsley game in 90/91 was amazing, the Kop was packed and half of the seats in the main stand upper was full of Latics. I'm sure somebody on here posted a clip of the goal, Prozac maybe? You can't see all the support because the camera is located in the stand where our seated fans are.

The roar for the goal was unbelievable.

Was it a Marshall header?

How many did we used to take to City in the old Division 2 or top flight?

And United in the top flight?

I was at most of those games but don't recall.

Not a phenomenal amount I didn't think. I dunno how many the Platt Lane end held but there were always tons of empty benches every time I went ('87, '89 and '91). I loved the Platt Lane end though, the atmosphere was ace under that huge roof.

I remember playing United twice in our first season back, both on Tuesday nights and that terrace behind the goal was rammed for the league match (was it the next one after we played Liverpool first match?) and the Rumbelows Cup match there was far more room on the terrace.

I think in recent years only Everton and Liverpool away has seen us with 6,000+ away followings. We had two sides at Crewe in 2006 towards the end of the season. Southampton away in the Littlewoods Cup there must have been something like 3,000+ down there with hundreds locked out. I've always thought that was pretty impressive for a night match at the other side of the country.

I remember us getting the corner by the Kippax at Maine Rd we never used to take that many but when they came to BP they always had the terrace at the Rocky Rd end and all the paddocks, used to like Bradford away always hammered in the stand was one tier then, used to lose to them then though, remember being there and it went off may of been Halifax in our end and then when we came out it was going off everywhere.

Aside from Liverpool (cup) and the McDonald Everton game.

IIRC United were notoriously misery with their away allocations when we played them in the top flight. Think we may have gotten 900 seats and they were gone within 30 minutes.

City, however, we had loads at. One year they gave us the Platt Lane end and whilst there were empty spaces I think it was more a case of people cramming themselves in other sections. Still remember the conga when Sharp tore them a new one.

The year after was when away fans were moved to the other end- we sold out, so a few thousand, and had probably a few hundred more in "home" sections. The move may have been caused by their redevelopment of Platt lane.

Wigan away under Dowie- 4000 out of less than 8000 on the day Wigan won the title. Hence why they will always be the imitation and us the genuine article.

Bolton in the FA cup we had a few at, but as it was FA cup the 15% rule applied so they gave us more than they would have for a league game. Remember thinking the tickets were a bit gold dusty, but that may have been for the seats as opposed to uncovered terrace.

Had some good followings at Stockport too. The Eyres late free kick winner stands out. We were give two stands that day and fans came running on to the pitch to celebrate the goal from both the terrace behind the goal and the seats in the side stand.

Not a phenomenal amount I didn't think. I dunno how many the Platt Lane end held but there were always tons of empty benches every time I went ('87, '89 and '91). I loved the Platt Lane end though, the atmosphere was ace under that huge roof.

I remember playing United twice in our first season back, both on Tuesday nights and that terrace behind the goal was rammed for the league match (was it the next one after we played Liverpool first match?) and the Rumbelows Cup match there was far more room on the terrace.

I think in recent years only Everton and Liverpool away has seen us with 6,000+ away followings. We had two sides at Crewe in 2006 towards the end of the season. Southampton away in the Littlewoods Cup there must have been something like 3,000+ down there with hundreds locked out. I've always thought that was pretty impressive for a night match at the other side of the country.

My recollection of the Rumbelows Cup game was we had all the K Stand standing and the seating above. I'm sure there was talk of 8000 Latics fans there in The Chron.