FA Cup - Latics greatest ever goals

With Latics only getting mentioned once in the BBC's Top 50 FA Cup goals (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29250362) - and not in the way we wanted (don't look...yes it's THAT goal) I wondered on the eve of FA Cup Round 1 what people think are our most memorable FA Cup goals over the years?

Could be because of the absolute quality of the goal, the occasion, the result, or because for whatever reason it resonates with you. I might even produce a poll once we have a few contenders so we can have a vote.

My top 3:

1. Ian Marshall, to make it 2-2 at Maine Road in the FA Cup S/F vs Man United in 1990, immortalised by the words of Barry Davies who was doing the commentary, "What an unbelievable day this is". Quite right Barry! His commentary for Palmer's goal to make it 3-3 was nearly as good "It's all square again". Course it is Barry, cos we're Oldham and we're as good as United!

2. Darren Beckford, to win the 1994 FA Cup Quarter Final away at Bolton Wanderers, after they had put out Arsenal, Everton & Aston Villa in earlier rounds. They were like we had been 4 years earlier, everyone's favourite lower league side. We were established in the Premier League by this point. The country wanted the underdog to win. We did a professional job on them, it was beautiful. How the world changes. Find the goal on youtube and look at how many wet-through Latics fans go mental behind the goal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BlOWkuynqc

3. Matt Smith's equaliser in the last minute of the 5th round tie vs Everton in 2013. For a brief moment, it felt like 1990-94. Priceless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubggfrlTV2c

Edited by lookersstandandy

I think Matt Smith gets 2 of my favourites, the 1st vs Liverpool & of course the last minute vs Everton & Scott Vernons against City. The one that stands out as an absolute belter was Gregans away at Kettering, smashed it into top bin from edge of box after a corner.

Then theres Gaz Macs goal which had everything!

I remember Ritchie scoring a screamer against Derby at home in 94. Maybe somebody with a better recall could talk us through it?

Sadly it was two close range finishes from Beckford and Holden we were 1-0 down to a Tommy Johnson effort won 2-1. Jan 1994 The screamer you refer to is stitch's half volley v barnsley at home in round 5 feb 1994

All from 1990

Rick Holden's goal to lead in the Quarter Final against Villa .......Villa were top of the football league . I can still recall walking to the game thinking they had no chance , still astounds me to realistically believe a second tier team would whup the league leaders......but that is how good we were.

Marshy's goal at Everton in the 5th round first replay.

Roger's extra time goal in extra time of the Semi final .....the United fans could not believe we could get back level after almost 120 minutes .

Aside from those mentioned, including "And it's Palmer far side" Barry Davies really is superb.

Kilkenny v Doncaster, a goal so good no footage of it can be found, less it shattered the belief that all league 1 players are cloggers.

Simpson v Liverpool. For that magical 90 seconds we were beating the 5 time Champions of Europe at their home ground with a bunch of League 1 cloggers and the odd sprinkling of a decent player.

For the quality of goal:

- Gary Mac vs Everton

- Robbie Simpson vs Liverpool

- any of the Forest goals, Simpson's long range one, his great header from a good Furman run, and Baxter's free kick that was only going to end up in the back of the net.

For the best moment:

- Simpson vs Liverpool again, went mental.

- Smith's first against Liverpool.

- Smith's equaliser against Everton. Never celebrated a goal as much.