• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, the FA Cup doesn't count? My mistake...

Seriously? Best part of what, 70 league places between them and Preston and probably 100 between them and Villa.

Count the FA cup all you like but most stats are based on the league alone due to the disparity caused by cup competitions.

No agree not always but when the media in all it formats give such huge coverage to an event that considering Ebola, Wars, Plane Crashes, Cancer, Economic issues and much more it creates a mob mentality that is out of proportion for an individual heinous crime committed and punishment served by one individual. I respect other views on this subject, I do however believe there is a lack of proportion especially if this was a plumber, builder etc rather than a lower league sportsmen.

He's not a plumber though so it's a moot point.

What I don't get about the case is why Clayton McDonald was found not guilty, despite the fact they both nailed her. How is Clayton McDonald not a rapist but Ched Evans is?

A jury who listened to all the facts of the case thought there was no reasonable doubt as to Evans' guilt but enough doubt not to convict Mcdonald.

If the news about Ched Evans signing is true then I am disappointed in the club. It smacks of desperation, we'd all like that 20 goals per season striker on the cheap and I know we have become the home of the unloved BUT this for me is a step too far. I was gutted when the news broke about Lee Hughes in 2007, the man was pure scum - he offered apologies and appeared to show remorse but for me he revelled in his notoriety. The club went through the mill. Every time he scored a goal it was preceded with the words 'ex-convict' or convicted killer etc... The second year he was here and the year after were some of the most difficult times as a fan. Some chose to support Hughes and the vast majority were naive kids BUT when he left I heaved a sigh of relief now we're back in the news for the wrong reasons. I couldn't care less about Evans' trying to overturn his conviction - he has already been denied an appeal. My club again is being put through the mill simply because of opportunism. I'd rather be relegated with my head held high than achieve a modicum of success tarnished by this vile human being. Those that are trying to make this happen should hang their heads in shame. I won't abandon my club as no one individual is bigger or more important that the club BUT after Hughes it took a couple of years to regain any sort of pride in the club. In fact if it hadn't have been for the recent cup runs, we'd still be down in the dumps. It's been a tough month with the good feeling and momentum generated by a solid start to the season eroding quickly. This for me will kill our season. The press will have their pound of flesh and move on to the next sensationalist story BUT our club will have to live with being the 'one' that gave this horrible turd his chance back in the limelight.

Devastated!

I was pro signing Hughes. He came out, talked to the family of the person he killed, did plenty in the community, and genuinely seemed remorseful for what he'd done.

Evans hasn't shown an iota of remorse for his actions. He sounds very much to me like he thinks he can treat women however he pleases without consequences, arguably the most vile product of 'Lad culture'. His crime was appalling, his conduct since almost as bad.

I don't subscribe to this nonsensical view that we should give him a break as he might be innocent either. I believe the phrase is "innocent until found guilty" - well he's been found guilty, and that's what I'll believe until such a time that the conviction is overturned!

Signing Evans would be driving me away from my own club, as I sure as hell won't be stepping foot in Boundary Park as long as he's playing there.

What I don't get about the case is why Clayton McDonald was found not guilty, despite the fact they both nailed her. How is Clayton McDonald not a rapist but Ched Evans is?

Because she got in a taxi with CM back to his hotel, she doesn't remember having sex with him but the judge/jury believes she must have been up for it if she agreed to go back with him.

British Law, Best in the world.

Edited by Senor_Coconut

Without hearing the evidence has presented in court this is hard to answer but I would imagine it's presented as she went to the hotel with McDonald - she has sex with McDonald - she then said "go down on me" (apparently) the question in court will be did she say that thinking it was McDonald and not actually know who she was having sex with. Example: if man A gets in bed with female B who is married to Male C man A commits rape if she consents on the belief she was with Male C if you get me

Look, the Callum Robinson example was just that, an example used in response to a poster asking for my suggestions of alternatives to Ched Evans.

I gave one.

I think the salinent points of us signing an unrepentent and unremorseful rapist are being lost on the goalscoring merits of a potential Aston Villa loanee here.

The bigger picture is that there are plenty of other players available - on loan or as perm signings, who could come in and score goals. Who havent raped anyone and thus will not be bringing all the baggage and media circus with them, and dragging the clubs name through the muck again.

Oh, Matt Derbyshire. There's another one. Derbyshire on loan till the end of the season...

Anyways, it's not the point in the bigger picture of all this is it?

Can you provide any spiritual guidance for us?

Yes of course. Always. In private, of course.

I don't think as club chaplain that I can make my personal feelings known in this forum. And the press have had a "no comment" from me so far today. But feel free to guess about what I think!

Said on the Owen thread, Corney has to come under the microscope for this.

If one of the chain vetoed then would this have gone through?

Owen will always been vilified more than anybody else because his director title makes the fans look complicit, when that is quite clearly not the case for a what is probably a majority.

Edited by NewBlue

I've said from the start that once someone has served their punishment then they must be allowed to continue with their lives otherwise we are creating a hideous society that I wouldn't want to be part of.

Ched Evans is a footballer, he is not a plumber, electrician, hairdresser etc etc. I don't buy this high profile bull:censored:...it's only high profile because of the media witch hunt. Oldham Athletic are not even high profile in Oldham ffs....we'll have 5 times as many people signing a petition as turn up at the games

The most sensible thing would have been for him to play abroad for a year or two and that looked on the cards until the government, those paragons of virtue and all things true and honest, stepped in to close that route.

I am sick and tired of the nonsense being spouted on here and in the media, you know what? Let's just take him outside and lynch him from the nearest tree like in the good old days.

Would I have rather he went to another club? Yes probably. Do I believe that a person must have the chance to rehabilitate themselves...absolutely.

Will I continue to support my club, absolutely.

My biggest fear here is that the club backs out of the deal tomorrow, in which case, what has been the point of this?

Never read so much twaddle in my life as a lot on here. Morals and role models - don't make me laugh - footballers ceased to be that long ago - vast majority are foul mouthed, greedy, self-seeking so and so's - so couldn't give a damn if Evans signs or not - it'll all die down within a week or so when the media and social networking etc have some other 'non-event' to hype up.

Since when are role models only good? Footballers are role models because they earn lots of money playing football and have models for girlfriends and therefore kids look up to them.

What's all this 1 in 3 about?

You need to put it into context for our level. He spent 1 season playing in league 1 and got 29 goals in 36 games.

Get him signed up. I just pray that he has the mental strength to deal with the abuse that he will get from the fans and rewards us with loyalty should other more 'desirable' clubs come sniffing around after the furore has died down or if begets his conviction quashed? He been out for months so has had ample time to test the water elsewhere. His representatives should have been in contact with every club, they wouldn't take him then so they can sod off in future if he's banging them in for fun.

He cost £3m, that's 4 times our all time record transfer spend, Ian Olney, and you can bet that due to the time involved and the fact clubs are fighting over him there won't be a signing on fee.

£3m striker for free? Yes please!

He's said a few times that he'll only sign players with the right attitude, personality ect. that will fit in with the squad.

Probably hasn't had a say in it.

Managers manage, he will be ok.