Let's hope today is the day he finally signs and we can start thinking about the rest of the team and an important match on Saturday. To add my "two pennies worth" I originally was against Evans signing but have come round to accept it more now if it happens. This is not a sexist comment but merely an observation that my female family members and work colleagues whilst obviously not condoning any of his actions without exception believe he should have the right to ply his trade again and if that is at our club so be it. I have supported Latics for over 40 years and won't stop doing now, I hope to be around to continue to do so long after he has gone elsewhere !

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this include the vitriol you've allowed to date aimed at Barry? Just curious.

Easy.

All the active OWTB staff are in work all day, so moderation is usually driven from reports, if the community don't report it, odds on we won't see it unless we stumble across something when we're trying to catch up at points in the day. Acks has mentioned this a few times in posts, and I am aware of Z and Stevie posting 'let's keep it civil' remarks when things seem to be getting out of hand, but of course you may not have read these probably because of the same reasons as us.

Also, let's not forget that you can't see what we've already removed, and there is a lot.

According to one report (Cooper SSN), part of the reason he is not apologising, is that the PFA hae advised it will perjure his Criminal cases Review.

I accept if he sees himself ans innocent he is not going to apologise. But as a minimum I want to see that he condemns, literally, victim hounding and urges it to stop

It's not other people though. His own website is the flagship that the abuse is sailing behind.

A fair amount. We did not learn from it, mainly.

I did not agree with that decision either, but he clearly expressed remorse.

And It was a first. Twice is careless at best.

Did we make a fortune out of Hughes. No.

Did he get rehabilitated. Very obviously not.

Did he fire us to promotion. No.

Did he cause the fans to join together. No.

Interesting statement.

How do you define rehabilitation? Hughes was convicted, sentenced and served time for dangerous driving. As far as I am aware he has not re-offended since release. He may have been a bit of an idiot on a club night out (as were others that were not convicted offenders) but not sure what else could be driving the opinion he was not rehabilitated into society.

Left prison, got a job. Performed well in that job for the period of time he was employed. Got future jobs and performed OK as well.

Interesting statement.

How do you define rehabilitation? Hughes was convicted, sentenced and served time for dangerous driving. As far as I am aware he has not re-offended since release. He may have been a bit of an idiot on a club night out (as were others that were not convicted offenders) but not sure what else could be driving the opinion he was not rehabilitated into society.

Left prison, got a job. Performed well in that job for the period of time he was employed. Got future jobs and performed OK as well.

Well he did re-offend although nothing like as serious as his first conviction so not a total success. Doesn't mean you don't try though!

I feel now the same as i did when Hughes signed , like a family bereavement somehow.

To me the only difference between then and now is social media.

No doubt this has made the situation a lot more widespread which has given the objectors the opportunity to whip up a media storm.

This will obviously take a lot longer than Hughes did to settledown but we don't have much choice.

The directors have made their decision and i just hope the LJ is also 100% behind it because if not then he will be first out the door.

It is LJ that is now going to get all the attention and i just hope he is up to it.

As with Hughes , in a few years this will be history but i somehow doubt that in the intervening time i will be enjoying much about going to Latics.

Edited by losesome

Ex-Footballer on BBC 5 Live....

He will get abuse in the dressing room dressed up as banter

He will probably get newspaper clipping on his locker

But ultimately if he scores goal it will all go away...

Its upsetting that as a society what deems how we feel about the most awful of crimes and the people who commit them can be governed by if someone can put the ball in the net.

Let's say he signs (very likely), and daddy in law puts 2million in to the club (if rumours are to believed).

What happens when we sell him for an "undisclosed fee" (300k) to Sheff Utd? Is sympathetic father-in-law going to keep giving us money? Or is he going to stop as soon as he can? Then, how do we fill the void? "Hi Verlin, it's Barry. He's gone now, can we have some money please."

Let's say he signs (very likely), and daddy in law puts 2million in to the club (if rumours are to believed).

What happens when we sell him for an "undisclosed fee" (300k) to Sheff Utd? Is sympathetic father-in-law going to keep giving us money? Or is he going to stop as soon as he can? Then, how do we fill the void? "Hi Verlin, it's Barry. He's gone now, can we have some money please."

The club are hoping it just all goes away in the future. Much like the initial reaction to Lee Hughes... So they can do whatever they want in the short term, take a bit of pain with no long term consequences...

Given the nature of Football and Football fans... It might well just be the case...

Edited by oafc0000

Interesting statement.

A glaring ommision or two from that analysis.

A thing that puzzles me about his character, his girlfriend has stood by him and actively campaigned for 3 1/2 years, through some awful pain. Yet he as not seen fit to ask her to marry him yet. I am genuinely puzzled by that.

A thing that puzzles me about his character, his girlfriend has stood by him and actively campaigned for 3 1/2 years, through some awful pain. Yet he as not seen fit to ask her to marry him yet. I am genuinely puzzled by that.

He did, about four days after coming out of prison.

Edited by blueatheart

Very simply Josh, the way that I see it Corney believes that we will become (virtually) self sufficient once the new stand is completed but he has run out of money to complete it and get in tenants. £2M would enable a speedier build and therefore, Corney believes, not a permanent loss making entity. He is willing to sell our soul to achieve the completion of the stand because without it we are snookered forever

All these rumours of 'daddy' being involved financially and the PFA having their hands all over it make me suspect that Ched Evans will not be owned by the club. Some other party, say Daddy and Corney, will own CE, cover his wages and benefit from any future sale. OAFC are simply the vehicle to enable the full value of this asset to be realised. Myself and many others who will fall off the vehicle are the collateral damage. Just my thoughts because something isn't quite right here.

All these rumours of 'daddy' being involved financially and the PFA having their hands all over it make me suspect that Ched Evans will not be owned by the club. Some other party, say Daddy and Corney, will own CE, cover his wages and benefit from any future sale. OAFC are simply the vehicle to enable the full value of this asset to be realised. Myself and many others who will fall off the vehicle are the collateral damage. Just my thoughts because something isn't quite right here.

Thought all that had been scrapped after the Tevez affair ?

I agree.

There'll be some interesting info to come with the official announcement I reckon.

Hopefully it will be genuine & make us all fell better about the whole thing......