Team and Pre Game build up - Swindon Town (Home) Tue 10th Feb 2015

So then, high flying Swindon town on Tuesday at Stadio Boundary Park.

Their forum stinks of assurance that they will be going up so it would be great to dint them hopes whilst favouring ours.

3 points will take a full 90 minutes worth of concentration and for us to be at our best.

We need the crowd behind us, the lads need to believe in themselves, but also need to pull together a unified performance that can break down a team on their way up to the championship.

I say stick with the same team that beat Scunthorpe yesterday.

I doubt philli will be fit enough, but I would be happy to see him back for Colchester on Saturday.

All the best fello tics for the week ahead!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

personally i'd play the following assuming all are fit:

Kean

Wilson (think Brown offers more in terms of pace, both suspect when defending, but he seems to play his best in the bigger games)

Elokobi

Wilson

Mills

Winchester

Kelly

Jones/Mellis

Forte

Wilkinson

Murphy

Subs: Coleman, Kusunga, Mellis/Jones, Philiskirk, Poleon, Morgan-Smith, Dieng

Feel we need some support alongside the main striker - don't think either Wilkinson or Murphy up top on their own works as an attacking threat, or anyone as a lone man for that matter. Both will get at their defence and cause problems, let's give them something to think about.

Give Murphy an hour and then change things if he is tiring, not as if we haven't got the options to do so.

Dieng is a defender for me, when I have seen him play in midfield this season he has been awful; positionally he doesn't know where to be and what to do and often is too slow on the ball - we don't need two players doing the Kelly role, takes away from the forward players.

No doubt there's many possible combinations/formations and all of us including LJ will have opinions.

Not expecting a win - hopeful that we can and that we do, but i'd take a point now. As long as we have a go and try our best we can remain positive. They are a good side, so in many respects we've nowt to lose.

Season isn't over on tuesday, but a win would be fantastic. Here's hoping

If the lads want it enough, we can beat anyone in this league on our day. If we can edge swindon tuesday for the three points and three points on saturday, two pivotal home games that the fans can help lift them with, we can cement a little bit of security in the top 6-8 of the league and give the boys a real courage that they can do it.

OH WHEN THE BLUES!!

To play Dieng in midfield at home is an idea which is overly negative IMHO. We have to take the initiative and attempt to dictate the play, because tough as they may be we are going to have to win at least 5 or 6 of the games against the top half sides at home if we are serious about the play offs.

The back 4 picks itself after the weekend but I wouldn't mind seeing a 4 - 3 - 3 with Murphy and Forte wide of Wilkinson with license to rotate and switch.

They would be in front of Winchester and Jones with Kelly sitting. I don't think he will go that way as we would be quite open, but at home all our best performances have come when we have seized the initiative and passed the ball well.

With plenty of forward runners to hit, the passing ability of that midfield 3 should come to the fore....... but for all that I suspect it will be the diamond again and I wouldn't be surprised to see Mellis for Dieng at the point with Forte and Wilkinson up top.

How do they set up? Have not caught any of them on television and missed the game down there.

Edited by whitey1980

I hope they're promoted.

It's them or MK and I know which one I want to suffer in this league for eternity.

Would like to see Murphy given his home debut in the place of Dieng. 2 holding midfielders is an away only strategy. A simple 4-4-2 it should be. Forte on one wing Winchester on the other.

How do they set up? Have not caught any of them on television and missed the game down there.

Against Cov on TV they played a 3-5-2 with wing-backs. Cov were poor but Swindon have some talented young midfielders and counter attacked very well. They easily could've won by more than the 3 they did win by.

That's pretty much why I think the team we play should be able to change to 5 in midfield if need be to combat them. However by the sounds of it we at least matched them in the away game so we certainly shouldn't fear them. It'll be a good test of LJ's tactical abilities.

I hope they're promoted.

It's them or MK and I know which one I want to suffer in this league for eternity.

Would like to see Murphy given his home debut in the place of Dieng. 2 holding midfielders is an away only strategy. A simple 4-4-2 it should be. Forte on one wing Winchester on the other.

I'd stick with 4-2-3-1 to ensure we have more ball. That formation can become an attacking one when going forward.

Swindon could play four in central midfield, after doing so to beat Barnsley.

http://www.flicwiltshire.com/STFC/Cooper-suggests-new-look-system-could-be-used-away-from-home.aspx#.VNfLkS7thXk

He had watched Barnsley on the Tuesday prior - home to us I think... If he takes our performance at Oakwell as a measure of our play then let's hope they are a little over confident tomorrow. I was at the game at the County ground earlier this season and we played well against a decent team - Looking forward to it but sadly not able to get up for the match (saving my diesel money for the Saturday game). Believe.

Will be a tough one, in all honesty I'm going expecting a loss so anything other than that would be decent.

They are a very good side, Possibly the best side in the league. My head is saying 3-0 Swindon but as others have said on our day we can beat anyone in the league (Except MK at their place!)

Will be a tough one, in all honesty I'm going expecting a loss so anything other than that would be decent.

They are a very good side, Possibly the best side in the league. My head is saying 3-0 Swindon but as others have said on our day we can beat anyone in the league (Except MK at their place!)

we are 6th in the league, drew 2-2 ay their place and at one point their fans considered one of the best teams they had faced this season. Why do you think we will get hammered.

It will be a close game IMO could go either way. Spirits will be up though after hitting the top 6.

we are 6th in the league, drew 2-2 ay their place and at one point their fans considered one of the best teams they had faced this season. Why do you think we will get hammered.

It will be a close game IMO could go either way. Spirits will be up though after hitting the top 6.

Our record at home against the top teams is abysmal. In recent seasons the top sides have always beaten us at our place. Yes we're better now but we're also incredibly inconsistent. Hope I'm wrong like.

The confidence should be there though as you say with us now sitting in the play offs.

We're closer to Yeovil at the bottom of the league, than we are Swindon who are just 4 places above us.

If we have any serious aspirations for the playoffs this season, this is the game to make that statement. We'd then HAVE to back it up by beating Colchester at home on Saturday.

It's the nosebleed effect for me. Weirdly, if we were 10th I'd be more confident. I put it down to being nowhere near promotion for so long now I just presume as soon as play off hopes get raised a defeat quickly follows!

Thinking logically though the team has the potential to win it, especially after the performance at their place.

I think that any game against the Top 3 teams in this division is a massive challenge.

The results show that they are clearly better than the rest of the teams and given our inconsistency, both between and during games, we will have to perform at our best to get a result from the game.

But, I do think that IF we turn up, then it could be a really good game of football and we could take the points - but equally we could still turn up and be edged out. However if we turn up and do a 'Barnsley' performance, then it could end up being another embarrassment.

With the games in hand factor, 6th currently flatters us a little. Our current run of WLWLW will not keep us up there.....a couple of home wins on the bounce and then you might get carried away!