Team and Pre Game build up - Swindon Town (Home) Tue 10th Feb 2015

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

73 points. Impressive but maybe just short of a play off place this year?

Some analysis of League One in the years we have been down here shows that the minimum any team has managed to qualify for 6th spot has been 70 points and the highest 82!

On average you need 75 points, and 73 would have only guaranteed you a play-off berth on 4 out of 17 seasons (with another 2 occassions you'd have been fighting it out on GD - something we are unlikely to win this season thanks to the pre-Christmas blip).

Given the rather unusual split of points this season across the Top 3 and then the rest, I am not sure if that is going to create a situation that means a higher / lower target than normal.

Our current points per game ratio for the season, if continued to the end would see us accumulate 65/66 points.

If we continue with the win one, lose one form for the remaining 18 games of the season, we'd add 27 points to our total = 67.

I think it is fair to say that if we get in the high 60s it represents a big improvement and our best return since the days of Sheridan - but I think we have to face facts that despite some big improvements in our results our form is not going to get us into that end of season fight.

On their forum there seems to be a lot of respect for our side. A lot are saying they'll be happy with a draw.

Although one comment said something along the lines of 'no doubt Boundary Park pitch will be a mud heap like Valley Parade's'. The County Ground is hardly the Nou Camp, looks a bit of a dump to me...

On their forum there seems to be a lot of respect for our side. A lot are saying they'll be happy with a draw.

Although one comment said something along the lines of 'no doubt Boundary Park pitch will be a mud heap like Valley Parade's'. The County Ground is hardly the Nou Camp, looks a bit of a dump to me...

Yes just read the same they seem to think that this will be a really tough game for them and some say their toughest yet this season, most will be happy with a point. No team will fancy coming to SDP on a freezing Febuary night.

Get at them early doors put them on the back foot upset their passing game, try and get an early goal and then flood the midfield, stiffle and counter act their 5 man midfield. If we sit back and let them play football and pop it around as they did against Coventry it could be 0-3 by half time.

Plenty of grounds in this league we can be envious of but Swindons isnt one of them, at least we offer away fans an unobstructed view from behind the goal under a roof, saying that they play good football and in Kasim have in my opinion one of the most skillful players outside the PL, in the reverse game Byrne gave Mills plenty of problems and is another to keep an eye on.

Yes just read the same they seem to think that this will be a really tough game for them and some say their toughest yet this season, most will be happy with a point. No team will fancy coming to SDP on a freezing Febuary night.

Get at them early doors put them on the back foot upset their passing game, try and get an early goal and then flood the midfield, stiffle and counter act their 5 man midfield. If we sit back and let them play football and pop it around as they did against Coventry it could be 0-3 by half time.

or we could hit them over the head with a book of footballing cliches. :grin:

Plenty of grounds in this league we can be envious of but Swindons isnt one of them, at least we offer away fans an unobstructed view from behind the goal under a roof, saying that they play good football and in Kasim have in my opinion one of the most skillful players outside the PL, in the reverse game Byrne gave Mills plenty of problems and is another to keep an eye on.

Bet he doesn't go, and will still think the pitch a mud heap.

Apart from parts of the the seasons with the Roughyeds on it, its been good on the whole for many a year. Hasn't it? Even with the Roughyeds, it was never atrocious. Surely the last time it was truly a mud heap was pre plastic pitch?

Edited by singe