• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, it mainly comes down to truly, truly how much Dowie wants to get back into management.

Possibly, last time he may have held out for better offers given our predicament at the time, and that's fair enough, added to his media committments.

However, time has gone on and with the greatest respect to him, he isn't going to get a championship club role whilst he has been away from management for a fair while.

The only way is to come back in at a lower-than-he-would-like level, just like Phil Brown has done at Southend and get himself in the shop window again.

It doesn't take a genius to realise the bugetary restrictions at a club like Oldham, it is self evident and i'm sure he will be aware of this. It has been well documented that he and SC speak on occasions, so it's not going to be anything he doesn't likely already know.

He is a winner, a motivator, intelligent and passionate. Players like Kelly, Jones, Winchester, Forte, Poleon would thrive under his style i think and he'd certainly give them some confidence/belief in their abilities.

What we do have going for us though - a pretty decent current squad, fans who would get behind him from the off. We also have the new stand and longer term aims once this kicks in re revenue streams and at least attempting to progress as a club.

He isn't one to walk away at the first sign of trouble - he stayed with us after the administration fiasco, built a team on nothing and left to join Palace when it was an offer he no doubt had to take with a family to look after, so he certainly is one to care and do the right thing.

The fact they are to speak this weekend at least confirms it's possible. If it doesn't happen then for whatever reason, in my opinion, he doesn't truly want to return to management, be it whatever deciding factor(s) that may be and that is his choice.

In an ideal world, wages and such like don't matter - we would do it for free for the love of the club and no one can deny that as a working man, salary does come into it for him, as it would any of us in any industry/job.

However, if he truly wants to re-enter the game of management, believes in our attempts to develop the club re the new stand and longer term aims/attempts to attract finance by the board, then in my opinion, he should take it.

Edited by shefflatic

2 years ago Dowie wanted at least a 2 to 3 year deal and commitment that we strengthened the squad.

When I asked him just before we signed Johnson he said he would love to come back, had a massive soft spot for the club and talks with Corney on a regular basis.

He not only works for Sky but other media companies as well as coaching and corporate stuff so a wage from Oldham would need to be decent.

Shame I can't attend his wife's charity event this year on this coming Saturday as normally he gets quite drunk and i may have got some insider info and placed a bet.

....his mate Shearer could still do a job for us too I reckon even after a couple of years retired

He was working for Sky until he left to become our Assistant under Wadsworth. No reason why he won't give it up again...

I agree Paddy just don't think the suggestion of a short term deal to the end of the season will do it for him. 18 month deal maybe...

Normally, TV appearances are something like £500-£1,000 per time. Obivously more if you are an anchor or main commentator. I can't see Dowie being a pundit they would give a contract too, knowledgeable as he is. I would think he would be on appearance money. Factor in his travelling costs and he won't be on mega bucks I'd stake a fair sum on.

Here are some appearance fees, granted from a little while ago, but it gives an indication of the fees paid. The number of footballers avaiallbe for punditry would be massive so a supplier's market

Hence why his reply was "We'll See". Put in a Promotion bonus and he could be tempted...!!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2046636/MPs-paid-thousands-appear-BBC-As-Corporation-cuts-politicians-given-licence-fee-cash-TV-radio.html

Normally, TV appearances are something like £500-£1,000 per time. Obivously more if you are an anchor or main commentator. I can't see Dowie being a pundit they would give a contract too, knowledgeable as he is. I would think he would be on appearance money. Factor in his travelling costs and he won't be on mega bucks I'd stake a fair sum on.

Here are some appearance fees, granted from a little while ago, but it gives an indication of the fees paid. The number of footballers avaiallbe for punditry would be massive so a supplier's market

Hence why his reply was "We'll See". Put in a Promotion bonus and he could be tempted...!!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2046636/MPs-paid-thousands-appear-BBC-As-Corporation-cuts-politicians-given-licence-fee-cash-TV-radio.html

A mate of mine went to a sportsmans dinner recently where Dean Windsss said he got £1000 per game for being at a game on Soccer Special. ID must get at least that given that, unlike Windass, he is capable of putting together a coherent sentence.

For me, it mainly comes down to truly, truly how much Dowie wants to get back into management.

Possibly, last time he may have held out for better offers given our predicament at the time, and that's fair enough, added to his media committments.

However, time has gone on and with the greatest respect to him, he isn't going to get a championship club role whilst he has been away from management for a fair while.

The only way is to come back in at a lower-than-he-would-like level, just like Phil Brown has done at Southend and get himself in the shop window again.

It doesn't take a genius to realise the bugetary restrictions at a club like Oldham, it is self evident and i'm sure he will be aware of this. It has been well documented that he and SC speak on occasions, so it's not going to be anything he doesn't likely already know.

He is a winner, a motivator, intelligent and passionate. Players like Kelly, Jones, Winchester, Forte, Poleon would thrive under his style i think and he'd certainly give them some confidence/belief in their abilities.

What we do have going for us though - a pretty decent current squad, fans who would get behind him from the off. We also have the new stand and longer term aims once this kicks in re revenue streams and at least attempting to progress as a club.

He isn't one to walk away at the first sign of trouble - he stayed with us after the administration fiasco, built a team on nothing and left to join Palace when it was an offer he no doubt had to take with a family to look after, so he certainly is one to care and do the right thing.

The fact they are to speak this weekend at least confirms it's possible. If it doesn't happen then for whatever reason, in my opinion, he doesn't truly want to return to management, be it whatever deciding factor(s) that may be and that is his choice.

In an ideal world, wages and such like don't matter - we would do it for free for the love of the club and no one can deny that as a working man, salary does come into it for him, as it would any of us in any industry/job.

However, if he truly wants to re-enter the game of management, believes in our attempts to develop the club re the new stand and longer term aims/attempts to attract finance by the board, then in my opinion, he should take it.

I do echo your sentimement, but that is a slighbtly rose tinted view of Dowie.

He had money and a lot of it., and he was, a la Johnson, touting himself around after admin (more understandable than Johnson)

He did bail quite easily, said he wanted to return North at Palace and then went to Charlton.

But I think a lot of water has passed under the bridge and I am sure he would do some things differently. I can see.

Pretty much agree with everything else though.

A mate of mine went to a sportsmans dinner recently where Dean Windsss said he got £1000 per game for being at a game on Soccer Special. ID must get at least that given that, unlike Windass, he is capable of putting together a coherent sentence.

Can't argue with that.

Though I am not sure that eloquence is the first prerequisite, sometimes it is just a name!!!

I am not sure, how many appearances does Dowie put in? It's not every week is it?

At £1,500 a shot it would be just feasible if he wanted . At £2,000 might just be out of our reach considereing some of it he would want for players.

Edited by singe

I do echo your sentimement, but that is a slighbtly rose tinted view of Dowie.

He had money and a lot of it., and he was, a la Johnson, touting himself around after admin (more understandable than Johnson)

He did bail quite easily, said he wanted to return North at Palace and then went to Charlton.

But I think a lot of water has passed under the bridge and I am sure he would do some things differently. I can see.

Pretty much agree with everything else though.

Charlton is north of Palace!

Hear hear......IMHO Harbin had more to do with that sides progress to play offs than Dowie!!!!

This is often said. But it's bollocks.

Harbin did a great job. We haven't a fitter squad of players since and their stamina meant they often scored late goals against tiring opposition. But fitness alone doesn't get you to the top end of what was a strong division that season. There's no way Harbin should be given more credit than Dowie; also, it was Dowie who brought him in, wasn't it?

This is often said. But it's bollocks.

Harbin did a great job. We haven't a fitter squad of players since and their stamina meant they often scored late goals against tiring opposition. But fitness alone doesn't get you to the top end of what was a strong division that season. There's no way Harbin should be given more credit than Dowie; also, it was Dowie who brought him in, wasn't it?

Bollocks, well your entitled to your opinion of course but it's important to remember that Harbin wasn't just in charge with fitness though, he is also a Sports Psychologist. I lost track of how many games in that season that we got extra points out of in the last 10 minutes. Fitness and mental toughness being key factors to playing the full 90 minutes.

The only time we have had sustained success has been with real partnership between manager and main coach; Royle & Donnachie. Dowie and Harbin were a very good partnership!

Bollocks, well your entitled to your opinion of course but it's important to remember that Harbin wasn't just in charge with fitness though, he is also a Sports Psychologist. I lost track of how many games in that season that we got extra points out of in the last 10 minutes. Fitness and mental toughness being key factors to playing the full 90 minutes.

The only time we have had sustained success has been with real partnership between manager and main coach; Royle & Donnachie. Dowie and Harbin were a very good partnership!

It's easy to quote what was a real relationship on the back of them being relatively successful isn't it though?

As it is to say Harbin was more to do with our success than Dowie...all subjective with no substance.

Think peoples logic on teams scoring late goals is incorrect, it is definitely down to mindset and never stopping/giving in, and setting high standards for the team, as apposed to fitness.