Holden Appointed ..

I see this as a positive thing. I have to believe that the board don't feel that the right man is available currently so instead of either appointing someone they aren't 100% happy with, or leaving everyone guessing, they've brought some stability back with an appointment til the end of the season. And bringing in TP to give Dean some backing and help is also a positive.

It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the toy chuckers think we should bring in Gattuso "for a laff" but to be fair to Dean, he's had a shocker dealt to him in terms of injuries and suspensions. Not many could have coped with that and for me that's a massive reason why the playoffs look like they are gone now.

But the key is the summer appointment, and like has already been said if you combine it with progress on the stand and a good season ticket marketing campaign, then the right man coming in as soon as possible at the end of the season could lead to some momentum for next season.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Just don't get the comments about Corney and lack of ambition from the board - as a club we walk a financial tightrope every season - Corney has invested so much of his money and backed every manager he has brought in. The players have let this club down yet again - no mental strength, no determination to win - too many hide on the pitch and it's time they stood up to be counted. I would prefer that we appoint a manager now but am prepared to wait until the end of the season.

I am not overly impressed with Holden so far either - his negative approach is passed on to the players and we are in a downward spiral. A spiral that started in December when LJ was in charge. Yes I am as fed up as I ever have been in the years I have supported this club - and I often wonder what would have happened if my Dad had chosen Old Trafford for my first game...

But I recognise where we are as a club and what we have to work with. Until we can find a buyer who is prepared to put substantial sums into the club, we will carry on in the same vein.

By leaving LJ admitted failure - and that he was not prepared to stay and try and turn it around - it will take a special manager to do that - and that is a decision that should not be made in haste.

SC told us at the start of the season that we had signed a sponsorship agreement which enabled us to compete at the top end of the table. Just as it looked like we might actually do this he sold the manager.

He made me hope and now he can get :censored:ed the lying :censored:.

Oh do grow up.

Why would being pissed off and sick to death of our stagnation and lack of any ambition whatsoever mean I don't love the club?

I'm pissed off with Corney not the club.

I won't spend my money going to the game but I'll still be listening on Latics Player.

Not that I have to explain myself or prove anything to you.

Indeed you don't

Neither do you have to proclaim that you have taken your bat home

Your choice but don't expect universal acclaim

Edited by LaticsPete

SC told us at the start of the season that we had signed a sponsorship agreement which enabled us to compete at the top end of the table. Just as it looked like we might actually do this he sold the manager.

Still keen to know why he "sold the manager" after rejecting offers for players a couple of weeks before and spending money on Murphy.

Didnt he say that about the sports direct deal mid way through this season which will in all likleyhood kick in next season when the new stand is built along with a new mangerial appointment?

I see this as a positive thing. I have to believe that the board don't feel that the right man is available currently so instead of either appointing someone they aren't 100% happy with, or leaving everyone guessing, they've brought some stability back with an appointment til the end of the season. And bringing in TP to give Dean some backing and help is also a positive.
It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the toy chuckers think we should bring in Gattuso "for a laff" but to be fair to Dean, he's had a shocker dealt to him in terms of injuries and suspensions. Not many could have coped with that and for me that's a massive reason why the playoffs look like they are gone now.
But the key is the summer appointment, and like has already been said if you combine it with progress on the stand and a good season ticket marketing campaign, then the right man coming in as soon as possible at the end of the season could lead to some momentum for next season.

I'm more inclined to think this a money exercise, Johnson's wage saved and compensation, a manager and assistant appointed to the end of the season on probably the same salaries as they are now, cheap loanees to fill a gap.

As long as relegation is avoided perhaps the board will see this as justified.

It would not surprise me to see the best players on extended contracts sold for undisclosed fees and many other released on frees to cut the wage bill.

Without investment I hope the manager next season can do as Jimmy Frizzell used to say 'make silk purses from pigs ears'.

Above all, money or not, I want the new manager to bring positive attacking football instead of the negative tactics we have often seen in the last couple of years, particularly at home.

This should have been done 2 weeks ago.

SC should now come out and say that interviews have taken place and his and the boards choice of manager is not available until the 1st June / July

This must be the case as he has stated in earlier interviews that the applications that he has received were the best ever and he has an amazing and challenging decision to make as the applicants have been the best since he has been at the club.

As previously stated in another post by myself I hope this means that Mark Warburton will be in the hot seat come the start of next season.

Anyway Good Luck Dean till the end of season!!!

I'm more inclined to think this a money exercise, Johnson's wage saved and compensation, a manager and assistant appointed to the end of the season on probably the same salaries as they are now, cheap loanees to fill a gap.

How much would be saved though?

Assuming the new manager is on the £60k quoted by Corney in a Scholes interview a while back that would be £5,000 x two months and maybe half or two thirds of that again for the assistant manager, so about £16k saved?

Even if we pay £100k to the new manager we'd only save £16k by putting off his start date for two months, two months that could be invaluable for next season.

Hardly worth it if the right man is available now.....

Even with these lot, I'll be amazed if it doesn't all make sense come the summer....

Edited by HarryBosch

Assuming the new manager is on the £60k quoted by Corney in a Scholes interview a while back that would be £5,000 x two months and maybe half or two thirds of that again for the assistant manager, so about £16k saved?

Even if we pay £100k to the new manager we'd only save £16k by putting off his start date for two months, two months that could be invaluable for next season.

Even with these lot, I'll be amazed if it doesn't all make sense come the summer....

I mean savings in the short term Harry, I suspect we are in some financial bother and every little cut helps.

Not happy at all with this. Still need 6 points. Understand we have injuries but think a new appointment/fresh approach would have given the players that are playing a boost to go out and get the points we need.

No boost from this for tonight, mk dons on a bad run, still think 0-3.

It's hard to be excited by the appointment of a manager that has a record of P4 W1 L3 F3 A9. Particularly when that followed another 2 defeats with no goals scored and has seen us fall from 5th to 15th. The icing on the cake is that in the same period the club our ex-manager has joined has played P6 W6 F11 A1 and has seen our respective clubs swap places in the league.

I am sure Dean is a nice man, who tries hard, and has qualificiations etc. but SC and the club must be aware of the fact this not an appointment with the intention of galvanising the supporters, and having a realistic shot of finishing the season as high up the table as it is possible to do so.

Therefore it must either be that:

a) After looking at the manager applicants there is nobody immediately available that SC thinks is right for the club, but there is someone he wants but that is not ready until the summer and this is a stop gap measure until he can get the person he wants.

B) After looking at the manager applicants there is nobody that interests him enough, and wants to wait and see if there is better available in the summer and this is a stop gap.

c) He has decided that money is the only important thing, and this is the cheapest option available and he doesn't care about if its any good or not.

I have confidence with SC, and think that a) and B) are the most likely. It could also fit with the rumours that BP1960 had heard about a Premier League international striker that might want to see the season out first before coming in as player manager?

If we do have a name lined up for next season, and its one that would get some interest and support - then get them down to the last game and announce them on the pitch in a way to try and boost season ticket sales etc.

Edited by Scapegoat

Not happy at all with this. Still need 6 points. Understand we have injuries but think a new appointment/fresh approach would have given the players that are playing a boost to go out and get the points we need.

No boost from this for tonight, mk dons on a bad run, still think 0-3.

Appoint now and you end up with a Mark Yates type - who nobody wanted.

People have been after Holden since he came back, I don't understand why.

Just don't get the comments about Corney and lack of ambition from the board - as a club we walk a financial tightrope every season - Corney has invested so much of his money and backed every manager he has brought in. The players have let this club down yet again - no mental strength, no determination to win - too many hide on the pitch and it's time they stood up to be counted. I would prefer that we appoint a manager now but am prepared to wait until the end of the season.

I am not overly impressed with Holden so far either - his negative approach is passed on to the players and we are in a downward spiral. A spiral that started in December when LJ was in charge. Yes I am as fed up as I ever have been in the years I have supported this club - and I often wonder what would have happened if my Dad had chosen Old Trafford for my first game...

But I recognise where we are as a club and what we have to work with. Until we can find a buyer who is prepared to put substantial sums into the club, we will carry on in the same vein.

By leaving LJ admitted failure - and that he was not prepared to stay and try and turn it around - it will take a special manager to do that - and that is a decision that should not be made in haste.

You would now be a total knobhead :OASISscarf:

There is a high probability we will go down this year. Dowie would defo. not come to a league 2 club and we would definitely not be able to afford his wages. So that's why we are where we are. Stay up and Dowie comes, get relegated and God knows who we'll get.

Think you have got your highs and lows mixed up there.

I am in with the school of thought that this is all about appointing the man we really want in the summer to generate interest for season ticket sales and to coincide with the opening of the new stand also. BUT, why not announce Dean Holden until the end of the season but in the summer <insert name here> will be joining us to take over permanently when he's free. That may stop us being pissed off and put up with the upcoming crap matches as the season fizzles out again.

I am in with the school of thought that this is all about appointing the man we really want in the summer to generate interest for season ticket sales and to coincide with the opening of the new stand also. BUT, why not announce Dean Holden until the end of the season but in the summer <insert name here> will be joining us to take over permanently when he's free. That may stop us being pissed off and put up with the upcoming crap matches as the season fizzles out again.

Also, if it is a big name the players might want to play for him and pull their tripe out in the meantime to have the best chance of doing so....

Announcing it might alert other clubs though and a binding contract might not be doable at this stage.......?

Pays for roughly 3-4000 bricks to be layed