Sheffield Star: LJ could mount Latics raid

Having read what Johnson has openly said about looking at some of our players to Barnsley's local rag, you can't help but think he reeks of a lack of any sort of class.

As frustrating as a manager taking the best players with him, most would at least respect the club and its fans by going about it privately, but announcing interest in our players through the media is shameless.

May still be bitter about the reception he received at BP after he single-handedly built the new stand...

I'm not sure it's Lee Johnson who's bitter.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The moment the picture of him at the Scunny v Barnsley game prior to any announcement and while still under contract with us was released he showed his absolute disrespect he has for our club. He has mentioned us 3 times now I think since leaving, it seems like he thinks we owe him something rather than our club taking a punt on an unproven manager.

Managers all over the world constantly use the line "I won't talk about players under contract with another club out of respect" unfortunately LJ doesn't give a flying.

If he wants our players so be it. We get a fee and move on.....but Mr Corney if the decision has made to sell said player I implore you to do all you can to squeeze as much money out of anyone willing to pay it, including the poisoned dwarf

He did get us closer to the play-offs than we have been in years.

Johnson has his flaws and I'm enjoying watching Barnsley struggling at the moment

But I think he will have a fairly good long term managerial career.

With many clubs no doubt.

The moment the picture of him at the Scunny v Barnsley game prior to any announcement and while still under contract with us was released he showed his absolute disrespect he has for our club. He has mentioned us 3 times now I think since leaving, it seems like he thinks we owe him something rather than our club taking a punt on an unproven manager.

Managers all over the world constantly use the line "I won't talk about players under contract with another club out of respect" unfortunately LJ doesn't give a flying.

If he wants our players so be it. We get a fee and move on.....but Mr Corney if the decision has made to sell said player I implore you to do all you can to squeeze as much money out of anyone willing to pay it, including the poisoned dwarf

He was appointed manager the next day. Do you think he was still contracted to us when he attended that game?

Some of the reaction on here is, as ever, over the top reactionary bollocks. I do hope with the passage of time the general view mellows because quite frankly watching Latics this season under LJ was on the whole far better than most if not all since 2007.

In a hypothetical scenario in which Latics had poached Keith Hill (even if he seemingly now hates everything about us) in the aftermath of LJ's departure, I wonder whether those on here would be calling him out after the following piece in the Chron...

Latics boss Keith Hill has revealed he could raid his former club Rochdale for new signings this summer.

Hill has revealed he is going to make plenty of changes ahead of next season.

And speaking exclusively to the Chronicle, Hill has admitted he could return to Dale to try and entice tried and tested players to Sportsdirect.com Park.

“They’ve certainly got some decent players – and we’re in for good players,” said Hill. “There’s definitely something to be said for tried and tested players. It’s better the devil you know, than the devil you don’t.

“We’ve got a lot of similar players at the moment, but we are looking for a certain type of DNA of player for the squad we’re trying to build.

“The team we put out next year is going to be different, of course it is, but we’re going to give a few players to sink or swim before the end of the season.

“Hopefully that little under-belly of young players will improve and that will give us a good competitive element to the group next season.

“It’s better to plan early. I’m just really excited about next season because I know we’ll be able to get the quality to supplement what we’ve got already, who we want to retain and the younger players coming through.”

Even if he did, so what? (Edit: attend a Barnsley game while still our manager, I mean. Didn't post fast enough.)

I'm increasingly bemused at the attention LJ gets now. Wish him well or wish him disaster, it makes no odds.

Edited by Crusoe

Penney could raid Darlo

New Oldham boss Dave Penney admits he could raid former club Darlington for a number of players in the summer.

Penney left his post at Darlington on Thursday afternoon before penning a two-year deal with the Latics later in the day.

With a number of current Oldham players out of contract in the summer and set to leave Boundary Park, Penney has plenty of scope to build his own squad at the League One outfit.

And, though he insists he will weigh-up the Latics squad first, Penney could be tempted to bring in some of his former players.

"It'd be unfair to pick players' names from Darlington but the situation is that there are a couple of good footballers at the club," he told the Northern Echo.

"It looks like the squad will fall apart. All the players that are out of contract the club can't re-sign, there's options on certain players that the club can't take up so they are going to end up walking away.

"I've had managers ringing me to ask about players, asking 'if you're not taking them with you to Oldham will they do for me?' And the answer for nearly every one of them is yes.

"There's some good players here and if someone offers to start paying them next week then they are going to leave.

"No doubt some of the players have three, four or five offers."

Pawel Abbott, who scored twice for Darlo at the weekend, has been linked, while Ipswich's Billy Clarke, who played for Penney on-loan earlier this season, has also been mooted as a target.

None of us gave a toss about this and Darlo were in dire straits.

It may be hypocritical to only raise the point when your club is the victim, but it is still wrong for a manager to go about it that way, your own manager or another club's.

I do think the way that fans have now gone from thinking he was great to being a poor manager is constructed since he left. He did a good job, and I fully expect him to take Barnsley into the running for the automatic spots.

Can't wait for preseason when it will be posted on here every time LJ takes a :censored:!

If he buys some of players so what! Replace them like always and :censored:in beat Barnsley.

Our team are set to finish in the bottom half thanks to LJs buys and management and now he has to start again elsewhere and the way he is talking already he is set to make the same mistakes while blowing more money.

Edited by palmer1

He was appointed manager the next day. Do you think he was still contracted to us when he attended that game?

You seem to always pick out one little point on a technicality from a very good post!

I dont care if he wasnt contracted with us-we all still thought that he was and hearing about him at that match really effing pissed me off-he's now a Judas in my opinion and that wont change, however far his career takes him. There are right ways and wrong ways to conduct yourself, he doesnt know how!

You seem to always pick out one little point on a technicality from a very good post!I dont care if he wasnt contracted with us-we all still thought that he was and hearing about him at that match really effing pissed me off-he's now a Judas in my opinion and that wont change, however far his career takes him. There are right ways and wrong ways to conduct gyourself, he doesnt know how!

He was Barnsley manager when that game took place it just hadnt been announced. Its not a technicality it a point that people are holding on to Beat a dead horse.

Managers move jobs from other clubs. For that to happen a contract must end.

If he resigned and left to turn up there a week later you would think he was a judas anyway

He was Barnsley manager when that game took place it just hadnt been announced. Its not a technicality it a point that people are holding on to Beat a dead horse.

If he resigned and left to turn up there a week later you would think he was a judas anyway

You still cannot see the wood for the trees. Please dont try to tell me what I will be thinking just because it suits your argument.

I can't believe people are still crying over Johnson's attendance at the Barnsley v Scunny match. His appointment was a done deal by then and anyone wanting to make a go of their new job would have seized the opportunity to watch their new team.

whether he was or he wasn't, being the wage payer I was slightly disrespected by the fact that the person who had asked us to follow him had decided to do one without the decency to announce it first.

Edited by celliott83

I can't believe people are still crying over Johnson's attendance at the Barnsley v Scunny match. His appointment was a done deal by then and anyone wanting to make a go of their new job would have seized the opportunity to watch their new team.

But the right thing to do would have been to either go in the directors box or at least TRY and not be recognised by wearing a hat or something.

Not turn up with your assistant flaunting yourselves to the supporters knowing full well it would come out that you were there. And DEFINITELY not tell them they'll be seeing more of you when asked.

But the right thing to do would have been to either go in the directors box or at least TRY and not be recognised by wearing a hat or something.

Not turn up with your assistant flaunting yourselves to the supporters knowing full well it would come out that you were there. And DEFINITELY not tell them they'll be seeing more of you when asked.

Why what was there to hide? He's a football manager not a criminal on the run!

You still cannot see the wood for the trees. Please dont try to tell me what I will be thinking just because it suits your argument.

It doesn't suit my argument at all and I see it how it is...

Oldham cancelled LJs contract and he attended the Barnsley game to view his new team. You hate him for it...

You think he was under contract to Oldham still and attended the Barnsley game to view his possible new team. You hate him for it...

He left Oldham for Barnsley and you hate him for it...

You tell me which bit is wrong?