New Kit 2015/16

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely if its better quality and brand we sell more?

Maybe, but that needs to be balanced against what Sondico and SD are paying us to to be our shirt provider in the first place.

Assuming we made £10 per shirt, if we sold 1000 more shirts, that would be £10k. Not particularly amazing.

SportsDirect are putting £1m into the club in a deal that involves one of their brands making the kits.

Nike/Adidas kits look good, and last year's Sondico gear looked really poor (although the new kit looks a bit more promising), but I'm afraid it's SportDirect's hand that feeds us.

When you go into a SportsDirect and they've got the old shirt and the new shirt next to each other you can immediately see the difference in quality.

No excuse for the trash they put out last season. You'd have to be a mug to spend £45 on that.

Biggest factor in selling more shirts will be success on the pitch

Not true. Like I said my local team is Accy Stanley and I remember when they released their Nike kits and no-one could believe Stanley had kits made by Nike, everyone was buying shirts for the novelty factor.

I'm telling you, having these tinpot companies making our shirts is quintessential short-termism. I bet it saves the club next to nothing.

Woof.

Not true. Like I said my local team is Accy Stanley and I remember when they released their Nike kits and no-one could believe Stanley had kits made by Nike, everyone was buying shirts for the novelty factor.

I'm telling you, having these tinpot companies making our shirts is quintessential short-termism. I bet it saves the club next to nothing.

Woof.

Woof.

Woof.

Well I could say that you have more retail expertise than anyone In the world but...

Did you see the programme about Japan? Monkeys that fished.

Nothing about dogs though and yet here you are - back on the riverbank and give yourself a shake.

Edited by LaticsPete

Posted · Hidden by Ackey, June 26, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by Ackey, June 26, 2015 - No reason given

Well I could say that you have more retail expertise than anyone In the world but...

Did you see the programme about Japan? Monkeys that fished.

Nothing about dogs though and yet here you are - back on the riverbank and give yourself a shake.

Can someone tell me what he's spazzing on about.

Woof.

Admittedly I'm no retail expert myself, but Sports Direct sell Nike, Adidas stuff in their stores currently. So wouldn't they still be able to sell an Nike or Adidas Latics shirt in there? I can see that the margain they would get wouldn't be the same, as they wouldn't be the manufacturer, but this could be offset by the extra shirt sales it would generate in their stores.

Admittedly I'm no retail expert myself, but Sports Direct sell Nike, Adidas stuff in their stores currently. So wouldn't they still be able to sell an Nike or Adidas Latics shirt in there? I can see that the margain they would get wouldn't be the same, as they wouldn't be the manufacturer, but this could be offset by the extra shirt sales it would generate in their stores.

Haven't you been listening Ghost? The club saves a few quid at the front end serving up Sondico rubbish. You're just a fan, you're only the lifeblood of the club, no-one cares what you want, now here's a patchwork of kitchen roll dyed blue. Piss off and remember to smile.

Woof.

The generic Nike/Adidas clothing that SD sell, and the replica kit of "big" clubs, is feasible for the company because of bulk purchasing. SD place orders for many , many thousands because they know it will sell in probably every store they have (and online), Very different to a Latics shirt.

Let's put it this way - the potential market for a Nike generic t shirt or an Adidas replica shirt of a Premier League team is massive . For a Latics shirt ?

Whilst it's de rigeur for some folk to suggest every commercial decision taken by the club is wrong, I'm inclined to the view that Corney and others know a little more about what works for the club in this area. Might not be perfect but I struggle with the the picture of Corney gullibly accepting a bum deal about kit after how many years running the club , and umpteen more as owner of a telecoms business,....

As a Middlesbrough fan I can say that shirt sales have gone through the roof since we changed to Adidas from Errea, last season all shirts sold out before Christmas and this season all the home shirt have sold out about a month ago and we don't get anymore stock till October! The increase in quality is nice as well! But on the other side of the coin it is all team wear so you could just go buy a shirt with no badge on for £20 and get an iron on badge

Edited by c_ogden99

As a Middlesbrough fan I can say that shirt sales have gone through the roof since we changed to Adidas from Errea, last season all shirts sold out before Christmas and this season all the home shirt have sold out about a month ago and we don't get anymore stock till October! The increase in quality is nice as well! But on the other side of the coin it is all team wear so you could just go buy a shirt with no badge on for £20 and get an iron on badge

A Middlesbrough/Latics fan? Can't be many of those