Fans perception of the appointment of Darren Kelly

311 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favour of SC appointing Darren Kelly as Manager?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure
  2. 2. How will this effect your attendance at BP during 2015/16 season?

• I will be still purchasing a season ticket/ will frequently Pay on the Day
    • I have a season ticket, but I will rarely use it/ seek refund
    • I will POTD for the odd significant game/cup games (home and away)
    • I will boycott OAFC indefinately
    • I will wait to see how DK and DH do after a number of games
    • I have bought my ST and this will have no impact on my attendance

I've never read so much :censored: in my life, why would anybody stop going to their football club, the club that your supposed to love, because of a new untried manager

We've had untried managers before, like Joe Royle, Jimmy Frizzell, Ian Dowie ( excluding is QPR caretaker role ),John Sheridan, Paul Dickov and the little :censored: Johnson were all given their first managerial role with Latics ( in order of my personal preference of their abilities ), did any of us stop going because of them not be tried and trusted managers!

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Mr McMahon under any threat in Failsworth East?

I wouldn't have thought so. That's for councillor rather than MP though.

He seems to be a doing a good job for one of them to be fair.

They'll soon put a stop to him giving people hope & aspiration though I'm sure. "You've created how many jobs.......!?"

Paw4- big diff from those you mention and Kelky is experience. Nearly all were full internationals with loss of top class games under their belt. Frizz was a long term Latics player. Johnson had a fine pedigree. Kelly has had precious little playing experience and only managed U9 team for a few months. Nowt wrong with inexperienced managers as long as they have earned respect by virtue of their careers.

Paw4- big diff from those you mention and Kelky is experience. Nearly all were full internationals with loss of top class games under their belt. Frizz was a long term Latics player. Johnson had a fine pedigree. Kelly has had precious little playing experience and only managed U9 team for a few months. Nowt wrong with inexperienced managers as long as they have earned respect by virtue of their careers.

I wouldn't go that far, he basically played for his dad most of his career mixed with a couple of spells in Scotland.

Think Kelly's coaching career must amount to more than taking the under 9's.

Depends what experience you are talking about, as they all arguably had more experience an pro football, but Kelly has alot more coaching experience than most of them had when they were appointed. He must cringe when he is described as an u9 coach, sounds like a bleedin kids local park soccer school! He was a Youth Phase Development coach that worked with all ages up to u16's, (however at York he 'assisted' with the u9s).

If anything the adverse comments should make him more determined to succeed.

Despite having it heard it all before I'm willing to believe his attacking philosophy and the fact SC said the fans need entertaining. I have my reservations as previosly mentioned, but the dilemma is should I now spend my nice little pick up on the premium bonds this month on renewing my season ticket after all or not?

Depends what experience you are talking about, as they all arguably had more experience an pro football, but Kelly has alot more coaching experience than most of them had when they were appointed. He must cringe when he is described as an u9 coach, sounds like a bleedin kids local park soccer school! He was a Youth Phase Development coach that worked with all ages up to u16's, (however at York he 'assisted' with the u9s).

How can he cringe. That is what he was. Fair enough, he has got his Pro Licence.

He has no Club manager experience.

He has no Reserve Team Manager level experience.

He has no reserve Team coaching experience

He is not TP's level.

The next level down at Latics is Simon Cooper as Head of Academy Youth Phase Development

The level after that is Peter Wild Academy Youth Phase Coach. A coach. Most Latics fans have never heard of him. No criticism of Peter, I would not know the first thing about him

He was this level at York, and then moved to Sunderland. He started at the beginning of February. It is entirely feasible he did not make his probationary period at Sunderland and started his application. We know hardly any due diligence was done.

So he has been promoted 5 levels in one hit. It's a massive, massive gamble.

These are the facts. He might work, we all want it to work, I really, really want it to work.

But lets not kid ourselves it is not what it is.

Your correct in what you say Singe, I cant argue with any of your points. What i will say is I was under the impression that being 15th in this league was a bad thing, no apparent progress, no desire. We held Yeovil up as a way in to the championship... look where they are ... two relegations and they may well struggle next season. Tranmere are now out of the football league and of those who were relegated last season none were challenging to come back up. Will those going down this season be able to challange ... look at Orients fall from grace ...play offs to relegation. Maybe I should be happy were are where we are ??

How can he cringe. That is what he was. Fair enough, he has got his Pro Licence.

He has no Club manager experience.

He has no Reserve Team Manager level experience.

He has no reserve Team coaching experience

He is not TP's level.

The next level down at Latics is Simon Cooper as Head of Academy Youth Phase Development

The level after that is Peter Wild Academy Youth Phase Coach. A coach. Most Latics fans have never heard of him. No criticism of Peter, I would not know the first thing about him

He was this level at York, and then moved to Sunderland. He started at the beginning of February. It is entirely feasible he did not make his probationary period at Sunderland and started his application. We know hardly any due diligence was done.

So he has been promoted 5 levels in one hit. It's a massive, massive gamble.

These are the facts. He might work, we all want it to work, I really, really want it to work.

But lets not kid ourselves it is not what it is.

He wasn't an u9 coach though, And while I agree he is not at TPs level, he is no where near the level of Simon or Peter (not a dig). Neither of them have had a professional playing career as far as I know and niether of them has the Pro License which however you want to degrade it IS a big thing in todays modern game.

That doesn't say he is an under 9s coach, the only mention of u9s coaching is this from his York City job:

"Lead the coaching and management of the youth development team while assisting from U9 level up"

I'm not saying it is not a gamble, he could turn out to be :censored:, but it frustrates me when people refer to him as though he has just been plucked of the local park kids soccer school.

That doesn't say he is an under 9s coach, the only mention of u9s coaching is this from his York City job:

"Lead the coaching and management of the youth development team while assisting from U9 level up"

I'm not saying it is not a gamble, he could turn out to be :censored:, but it frustrates me when people refer to him as though he has just been plucked of the local park kids soccer school.

That doesn't mean coaching u9s either. That just means working in an academy where, the same as ours, those that work in the youth development will still know the name of every kid that's there. This idea that seems to be floating around that he's an u9s coach (mainly by singe at the moment) is incorrect. At some point during his education, he'll have run sessions for them but that's not what he'll have been doing for a while. His job title telld you that.

One man's IRA supporting under 9's coach is another man's exciting young, apolitical manager with more experience than the last two. :grin:

That doesn't mean coaching u9s either. That just means working in an academy where, the same as ours, those that work in the youth development will still know the name of every kid that's there. This idea that seems to be floating around that he's an u9s coach (mainly by singe at the moment) is incorrect. At some point during his education, he'll have run sessions for them but that's not what he'll have been doing for a while. His job title telld you that.

Yeah, thats what i said :omg:

He wasn't an u9 coach though, And while I agree he is not at TPs level, he is no where near the level of Simon or Peter (not a dig). Neither of them have had a professional playing career as far as I know and niether of them has the Pro License which however you want to degrade it IS a big thing in todays modern game.

I definately did not degrade the Pro Licence, that is his strongest card, by some margin.

He has 60 League appearances his entire his career.

It could be argued he knows a bit about the non league scene too, which might be helpful for a player or two.

With regard to Simon or Peter, that is his level of experience. I appreciate he is more qualified than them, and a bit more experience, but that is his level of employment. Hence some of the concerns.

I stress, I really, really want it to work.

On one level I am excited to see if he can make it work.

Edited by singe

I definately did not degrade the Pro Licence, that is his strongest card, by some margin.

He has 60 League appearances his entire his career.

It could be argued he knows a bit about the non league scene too, which might be helpful for a player or two.

With regard to Simon or Peter, that is his level of experience. I appreciate he is more qualified than them, and a bit more experience, but that is his level of employment. Hence some of the concerns.

I stress, I really, really want it to work.

On one level I am excited to see if he can make it work.

By 60 league appearances I assume you mean in England? Don't be too quick to discount appearances in Ireland. 3 or 4 years ago Derry were a better side than Oldham and in Kelly's era Derry beat IFK Gothenburg home and away, trounced Scottish cup finalists Gretna 5-1 away (Kelly scored the equaliser), drew with PSG at the Brandywell and only lost to them 2-0 in Paris. Darren Kelly was a very good leader on the pitch. Time will tell how effective he is from the dugout.

By 60 league appearances I assume you mean in England? Don't be too quick to discount appearances in Ireland. 3 or 4 years ago Derry were a better side than Oldham and in Kelly's era Derry beat IFK Gothenburg home and away, trounced Scottish cup finalists Gretna 5-1 away (Kelly scored the equaliser), drew with PSG at the Brandywell and only lost to them 2-0 in Paris. Darren Kelly was a very good leader on the pitch. Time will tell how effective he is from the dugout.

Fair point, and well made. Here's hoping.

Just read through this thread start to finish and found myself laughing out loud all the way through.

Absolutely moronic some of you talk about over reactions....

Funnily enough, when you read your hourly updates from your source about whot he next manager would be, it causes a similar reaction.