Fans perception of the appointment of Darren Kelly

311 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favour of SC appointing Darren Kelly as Manager?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure
  2. 2. How will this effect your attendance at BP during 2015/16 season?

• I will be still purchasing a season ticket/ will frequently Pay on the Day
    • I have a season ticket, but I will rarely use it/ seek refund
    • I will POTD for the odd significant game/cup games (home and away)
    • I will boycott OAFC indefinately
    • I will wait to see how DK and DH do after a number of games
    • I have bought my ST and this will have no impact on my attendance

What we have here is a season where expectation has been badly managed. We got a sniff of the playoffs and started to dream then the Welshman and the Englishman ended our season because staying up was good enough for those in charge. I hate to suggest this but did the Englishman fall out with SC because he realised there was no ambition no desire beyond building a new stand to enhance the prospect of a sale?

Then almost to placate us we were told about how many and how good the applicants for the post were. Told there was no need to rush as we must get it right (and save two salaries). We watched our team stumble to 57 points just four wins from sixth place as injuries and dour tactics robbed our team of its edge. And now this!

However, what did we really expect. The only appointments that have worked for us are the rookie. It is the sort of appointment I expected and to give Kelly the credit due he does have a great deal of experience. Time will tell and I will watch it happen. This is not their football club it is our football club.

If you don't want to be a supporter anymore that makes me sad but you have the right to give it all up. I can't!

I can see much of what you say, but he doesn't have any experience. 3 years as a coach (not even a managerial role or Youth Tea MAnager etc) and he has been under 9's & under 16's not even Youths at sunderland for little over 3 months and applied after being #there barely a month.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see much of what you say, but he doesn't have any experience. 3 years as a coach (not even a managerial role or Youth Tea MAnager etc) and he has been under 9's & under 16's not even Youths at sunderland for little over 3 months and applied after being #there barely a month.

Why do people go on about u9s and u16s? He's worked in an academies which will go from u9 TO u16 where he has worked with the older phase groups so will have had involvement with the youth team.

Because he's not been there 5 minutes. Did he even pass the probationary period?

At York this is what they said:

In March 2011, he rejoined the club as a Community Coach having gained his UEFA A Licence and is currently undertaking his UEFA Pro Licence. Since then he has been appointed to the role of Youth Development Phase Lead Coach, where he is in charge of Under 12's to Under 16's, ensuring that the Academy meet the EPPP criteria for his age group.

While I'm baffled I can't help thinking Corney is no fool and what ever mistakes he has made in the past I have never deemed them foolish. He is not throwing thousands of pounds at a certain failure.

Just maybe, Kelly has a plan that includes widening the pitch and playing with wingers and a seasoned centre back who can pass the ball. Like Gregan, only faster.

I maybe a masochist but I find myself looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Because he's not been there 5 minutes. Did he even pass the probationary period?

At York this is what they said:

In March 2011, he rejoined the club as a Community Coach having gained his UEFA A Licence and is currently undertaking his UEFA Pro Licence. Since then he has been appointed to the role of Youth Development Phase Lead Coach, where he is in charge of Under 12's to Under 16's, ensuring that the Academy meet the EPPP criteria for his age group.

Similar situation to when Rochdale appointed Steve Eyre (who was my community coach when he first started out at City)

The scary thing is there could be a load of sinister motives behind the boards decision making but until it is too late we will be non the wiser...

- LJ's comments about us not knowing the detail

- Who owns what parts of the club and incomes of the stadium

- how did the sports direct deal make us a top 8 budget team then we make bottom of the barrel appointments like this

- Ched Evans just as a way of making a bit of cash out of a sale but OAFC bear the brunt of the humility

Corney could play us all his merry tune whilst he does his best to milk every penny out of the club to repay what TTA put in. Maybe he was the only one of the 3 thick skinned enough to do the dirty deed...who knows.

The problem is the more head scratching decisions made like this add more weight to the arguments of those that see Corney in this way...

One of the reasons this has landed like a sack of :censored: is because it has come straight on the back of the strong positivity of the Dowie rumours...

The scary thing is there could be a load of sinister motives behind the boards decision making but until it is too late we will be non the wiser...

- LJ's comments about us not knowing the detail

- Who owns what parts of the club and incomes of the stadium

- how did the sports direct deal make us a top 8 budget team then we make bottom of the barrel appointments like this

- Ched Evans just as a way of making a bit of cash out of a sale but OAFC bear the brunt of the humility

Corney could play us all his merry tune whilst he does his best to milk every penny out of the club to repay what TTA put in. Maybe he was the only one of the 3 thick skinned enough to do the dirty deed...who knows.

The problem is the more head scratching decisions made like this add more weight to the arguments of those that see Corney in this way...

One of the reasons this has landed like a sack of :censored: is because it has come straight on the back of the strong positivity of the Dowie rumours...

How dare you, he's building a fan bar for all the superfans to give each other a pokey bum wank don't ya know!!

The only glimmer of hope I see in all this is that Corney is one shrewd fella and there must be an underlying reason to make such a left field appointment...

I'm just hoping its more than just a cheap wage that he reckons will guide us to another season of safety and acceptance. The reality is if it is more than that I'm starting to doubt if OAFC would ever see the benefits...

Isn't it Pete wild

Simon Cooper?

Without Googling it...!

And reven then we are not sure.

Seriously, I am vaguely aware that both do a good job and I think I follow Simon Cooper on Twitter if he is the OAFC Aceadeny poster, but imagine if either got promoted over TP..

Then imagine promoting either to First team manager over TP.

Without Googling it...!And reven then we are not sure.Seriously, I am vaguely aware that both do a good job and I think I follow Simon Cooper on Twitter if he is the OAFC Aceadeny poster, but imagine if either got promoted over TP..Then imagine promoting either to First team manager over TP.

I think Simon Cooper has shut his personal Twitter account. I doubt it is him that tweets from @oafcacademy but he may do

I didn't Google, it was one of him or Pete Wild, I probably chose the wrong one.

I think Simon Cooper has shut his personal Twitter account. I doubt it is him that tweets from @oafcacademy but he may do

I didn't Google, it was one of him or Pete Wild, I probably chose the wrong one.

I see Andy Barlow has a uefa pro license, wonder if he had an interview?

I see Andy Barlow has a uefa pro license, wonder if he had an interview?

For all his popularity here I doubt he is interested, he coaches the coaches (probably for UEFA A, but may not be) for the FA, which will almost certainly be a more prestigious job with better benefits.

Here he is with the current PM, note who is in the background http://twitter.com/Aldehulme/status/472114264061538304/photo/1

Edited by rudemedic

For all his popularity here I doubt he is interested, he coaches the coaches (probably for UEFA A, but may not be) for the FA, which will almost certainly be a more prestigious job with better benefits.

Here he is with the current PM, note who is in the background http://twitter.com/Aldehulme/status/472114264061538304/photo/1

Clipboard. Oh how I've missed him, anyone know if he fancies the job? Refund for me please, will go to the away games.