Fans perception of the appointment of Darren Kelly

311 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favour of SC appointing Darren Kelly as Manager?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure
  2. 2. How will this effect your attendance at BP during 2015/16 season?

• I will be still purchasing a season ticket/ will frequently Pay on the Day
    • I have a season ticket, but I will rarely use it/ seek refund
    • I will POTD for the odd significant game/cup games (home and away)
    • I will boycott OAFC indefinately
    • I will wait to see how DK and DH do after a number of games
    • I have bought my ST and this will have no impact on my attendance

I see Andy Barlow has a uefa pro license, wonder if he had an interview?

My :sauce: tells me Barlow was inteviewed but got cut from the final list when he mentioned he had an Oldham pro licence that insisted on pudding on a muffin for the pre match meal !

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Needs to learn how to do his tie properly. Quite a low key speech, fully aware people will be asking who the :censored: he is but intent on proving himself.

Harry Bosch is on my table. He's knawing his tie in frustration but he's too scared of Rosa to do owt when he's only 2 pints in.

Aah, the end of the evenings "where's Harry Bosch?" episode now makes sense........

Funny when people on twitter say our fans are the best. Not even giving a manager a chance and saying you're not going to go is just an excuse. Same as those who were moaning about the chaddy, either support the club through thick and thin, or take your miserable arses to the pub to watch that prem sh***. You support the club or don't, shouldn't matter who is in charge or where you sit.

Are you about 13?

Edited by longtimeblue

Like others I am shocked and disappointed in this appointment. To have the names banded about like gatusso scholes dowie rossler etc I was feeling optimistic.

I more than appreciate our financial constraints but this has taken the wind out of the sails somewhat and I do believe it is a backward step.

I will be buying my season ticket again, its a blind loyalty thing, but what hurts me is my friend and his son have decided against it and his son actually wants to go to support Curzon Ashton home and away!

His son is around 9 and already recognises the match day experience is better there than at boundary park and having just won promotion he wants to visit new grounds and see how they get on, I can't fault them at all.

For me this appointment wasn't necessarily about getting the best man for the job from a football perspective. It was about capitalising on the feel good factor generated by the new stand and making an appointment that would excite the fans.

This was a rare opportunity to turn around the slow decline in attendances and start moving in the right direction with circa 1000 extra season ticket holders.

From that perspective it is a disastrous appointment.

With every bizzare decision this board makes they erode the fan base a little bit more.

For 2 of my mates this decision is the straw that broke the camel's back. For another it was Chedgate.

I'll still be there next season and will back the guy now he's got the job. But I expect to have plenty of space around me in the new stand to stretch my legs.

For me this appointment wasn't necessarily about getting the best man for the job from a football perspective. It was about capitalising on the feel good factor generated by the new stand and making an appointment that would excite the fans.

This was a rare opportunity to turn around the slow decline in attendances and start moving in the right direction with circa 1000 extra season ticket holders.

From that perspective it is a disastrous appointment.

With every bizzare decision this board makes they erode the fan base a little bit more.

This sums it up for me. There was an excellent chance to tap into the feel good factor generated by the new stand but they've once again done their best to ruin this.

No doubt in 5 or 6 weeks time Corney will be interviewed on the website explaining that the reason why players have been sold and there have been no incoming signings yet is because season ticket sales have been well below expectations.

He'll urge the fans to back the club by buying season tickets if they want to see decent signings, without the slightest recognition that his decisions are pretty much the sole reason for the reduction in ticket sales.

No doubt in 5 or 6 weeks time Corney will be interviewed on the website explaining that the reason why players have been sold and there have been no incoming signings yet is because season ticket sales have been well below expectations.

He'll urge the fans to back the club by buying season tickets if they want to see decent signings, without the slightest recognition that his decisions are pretty much the sole reason for the reduction in ticket sales.

Yep and we will shrink to success (in the conference). And TTA will have bled us dry and recouped what they put in.

I have given this subject some serious consideration over the last couple of days and whilst I'm not happy with the choice of manager I am prepared to give him a fair crack in the job.

He is without doubt a massive gamble but Penney and Talbot appeared to be the real deal at the time and both almost got us relegated. Appearing to get the right man for the job doesn't always work.

This guy, although hardly a household name, could turn out to be the real deal. He's obviously got something and I don't honestly think the board would purposely select a manager just because he's the cheapest option.

The thing that concerns me is the fact that at this stage of the proceedings we need to get as many fans onboard buying season tickets and contributing to a healthy playing budget, unfortunately an unproven manager such as Kelly is not going to do this. On the other hand I believe, a Dowie type would have got the whole place buzzing in anticipation for next season.

The next thing we will have to contend with no doubt will be another episode of Corney lambasting the Oldham public for not backing the team, but this is our club, and our passion, any lack of support at this stage would seriously effect our ability to compete in this division and could even lead to relegation.

I'm not sure that turning our backs on the club for whatever reason at this stage would be the

right thing to do.

For that reason, and that reason alone,......I'm in!!

Exactly. He know the implications of the appointment and even if he thinks it's the right footballing appointment, it's an odd business decision. Absolute madness.

Maybe kelly and Holden are just a cheap stop gap until the stand revenue kicks in for next season when Dowie will come on board and these could be his back room staff...seems so left field to me that there must be a valid reason. In the meantime it boosts both their cv's...maybe no other candidates were prepared to accept a 12 month deal when we can reassess our finances.

Optimistic hopes but maybe Corney feels they are good enough to keep us up and will keep the better players on board until next year. Dowies press release in the Chron also adds weight to this...

Let's be honest appointing Dowie is as good a chance we have of bringing fans back and he may feel to genuinely challenge he needs a better budget which will only come on the back of one year of cutting back on costs tied in with the Stand income. The problem is you usually only have one season to deliver the positive feel factor to bring fans back and on this years budget Dowie may feel it could do more damage to his reputation and the potential of unveiling him as manager...

Edited by Blue_Guru

ok I was angry , frustrated and all the rest because I care passionately about my club and want success as any other fan does ;

I am a little calmer today and will listen to the man before I get carried away.

its my club and whatever chairmen , the boards or managers do if we don't support em then the club would just fold

lets stay with our club and pray for better days and soon

Not pleased about this, but I'll give it time. Seems like SC built himself up for a fall with all the talk of large applicant numbers and strong candidates.

Let's hope he can get the best out of the likes of Murphy, Turner and other fringe players.

I like it. A young manager with modern ideas / tactics who's been in and around players who are at our level. This is the way way to go, whether he is in fact the correct person for this model we have to trust Simon corney. But look back at the comments when Lee Johnson was appointed, people went daft with outrage