Walsall away

2 hours plus by train.

An hour and a half just to Birmingham - that doesn't seem right....?

Anybody got any more creative routes?

What's Walsall itself like for pubs? I've only ever driven in the past.

Is that club next door still open to away fans?

Edited by HarryBosch

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours plus by train.

An hour and a half just to Birmingham - that doesn't seem right....?

Anybody got any more creative routes?

What's Walsall itself like for pubs? I've only ever driven in the past.

Is that club next door still open to away fans?

The Black Country Inn is prety good. It is a short walk from Walsall sation and about £5 taxi back to the ground - there is aslo a Wetherspoons close by- the attached is a note from someone who clearly rated it!

"Second port of call on 3 May to celebrate the mighty U’s remaining in league 1, and winning at Walsall to boot. Excellent pub, very tall building and with drinking/eating areas on three levels so it doesn’t feel crowded or like being in a vast open barn. Marvellous selection of ales but once I’d tasted the Black Beauty Cream Stout from Packinghouse brewery that was it, this wonderful stout joins the Colchester Cream stout and the Nottingham Sooty Stout as three incomparable ales. This ran out and so I was forced to have a different ale, which although I can’t remember the name it stood up well to the lingering taste of that black nectar. We also ate here, one of my mates had the curry special which was good, I had the burger and potato wedges which did the job and at £4.95 what more could you want to go with your pre match pints? Fantastic place and well worth the trip. 9/10

Just booked the train, 100 quid for 4 return to birmingham then 8.20 birmingham to walsall return. Probably leave it late and drink in birmingham, only 22 mins to walsall and walsall itself is crap for a day out.

• 2 weeks later...

Virgin trains currently have a sale on (till Thursday, I believe), could be useful for some of the longer away trips. There's probably a playershare link, too. virgintrains.co.uk/sale

Edited by Ryan

Virgin trains currently have a sale on (till Thursday, I believe), could be useful for some of the longer away trips. There's probably a playershare link, too. virgintrains.co.uk/sale

Only for travel up to 27 August, so Colchester's the only long-haul. Not sure how practical the train is for there.

Only for travel up to 27 August, so Colchester's the only long-haul. Not sure how practical the train is for there.

Walsall is doable too, I think. Virgin train from Manchester to Wolves and then a direct train from there to the Bescot. Probably only a small saving, but it's something. Edited by Ryan

0907 - 1033 (Manchester to Birmingham New Street @ £13.40

Open Return (Birmingham New Street to Bescot Stadium) @ £3.50

1901 - 2049 (Birmingham New Street to Manchester) @ £9.00

Total @ £25.90

Anyone bettered that yet?

I've booked on the train to this one, only 11.90 each way with a railcard including tube connections, so will be 19 each way without a railcard, still pretty good!

Edited by Andy-latic

I'd be very disappointed if we didn't sell out our 2,000ish allocation.

Prepare to be disappointed then...

When was the last time we took 2000 to a league game anywhere, excluding Bury or Rochdale?

Huddersfield 5ish years ago?