Potential Centre Backs

Ok with DK bringing Jake Cassidy and George Green our forward and attacking signings seem pretty well done and dusted.

Attention now moves to the defence.

If the reports are true that Kelly was looking at potential right backs / right wing backs, and we all know that we need a 1st choice centre half to partner James Wilson.

What are everyone's thoughts on who we should bring in?

Anthony Gerrard being an obvious one.

Maybe Roger Johnson ex Wolves and released from his short term contract at Charlton at 32 unlikely to get a deal in the Championship would be a fantastic signing but maybe out of our price range with regards to wages.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mate does all Roger Johnson's electrical work as he part owns a property company and he has already asked where will he be playing next season, he has already turned Wigan down as they cant afford his 15k a week demands....he has been invited to train with Bolton

My mate does all Roger Johnson's electrical work as he part owns a property company and he has already asked where will he be playing next season, he has already turned Wigan down as they cant afford his 15k a week demands....he has been invited to train with Bolton

If that's true, I'm guessing he'll be lowering his demands.

I know I'm in the minority, but I'm really not sure about Gerrard, especially for what I assume his wage demands will be. He looked very unfit for a start!

I also hear from a Hudfersfield fan at work he's a bit of a trouble maker around the dressing room and has had many spats with team mates and management, and was the reason he was frozen out there.

Ben Nugent and Louis Laing the yoof, Jamie McCombe and Neill Collins the mature .

Would be very happy with any of them names apart from Jamie McCombe, last time he played against us he was terrible.

Good selection Deyres, should send them on a sheet of paper to the manager... don't wait on a reply though.

Edited by MAC0AFC

Aaron Hughes would be a great signing for us.

He is 35 but would be the type of old head that we need at the back. Only played 10 games at Brighton last season but is determined to find a club who can offer him regular first team football as he wants to be involved in Northern Irelands Euro campaign, may be out of our price range but would be delighted if he rocked up at Boundary Park.

I know I'm in the minority, but I'm really not sure about Gerrard, especially for what I assume his wage demands will be. He looked very unfit for a start!

I also hear from a Hudfersfield fan at work he's a bit of a trouble maker around the dressing room and has had many spats with team mates and management, and was the reason he was frozen out there.

He had plenty of time to show all that with us I guess. If there was any doubt, we should leave well alone. Indications seenmed to be alright though.

I'm a bit uneasy about him too.

He's exactly what we need but does strike me as a bit of a weapon.

With regards to Gerrard,

Some players will get disheartened if they are not in the managers plans especially if they have been at the same club for a while and in previous seasons been a 1st choice player.

How often have we heard that joining a new club with new surroundings, different players and knowing that the manager has faith in your ability and wants you as a first eleven player changed players mind set and rekindled their love and passion for football.

Whatever happened at Huddersfield, if anything happened at Huddersfield it didn't seem to happen here and hopefully with a new contract and a full preseason behind him, we get the strong commanding centre back that we know he can be.

At first, i thought he was a good signing, but towards the end (was it Chesterfield at home) i thought he was crap, slow, cumbersome and full of misplaced passes. Could've been a bad day, but at 29 he looked more like someone at 39 who'd been on the piss the previous night.

He has ability and qualities we need, but we don't want him if he's going to be trouble and unfit half the time. Rather have Big George back.

I may have missed this but has Dieng been kept or has he been released?

If we are going with Kelly's very strongly hinted at 3 at the back then I think we need to sign atleast 2 centre backs and a I reckon a right wing back. I was fairly so so about what I saw from Gerrard, but playing in a back 3 in between 2 quicker defenders where he can sit bark out the orders and head clear crosses and while not getting exposed for pace he will be an asset for us. Having lost both Lockwood and Elokobi we need someone who can lead in the back line especially with a young Goalkeeper behind them. Add in a couple of guys who are good enough at bringing the ball out of defence and start attacks while still being good enough to head the ball clear from corners we should be ok.

why would you sign a right wing back when you have 2 Right backs (one just signed a deal) and just signed a right winger...... that means IF we sign at Right Wingback you make 3 players redundant. On a small budget that is simply stupid.

I love the concept of a sparks rocking up and the client sharing his wage demands freely. Mind our joiner recently did work on a window for Aguero and he wandered over and pointed at his choice of Bentley the other two to choose from driving away. Never acknowledged the joiners in room as he was playing on an ipad. Back on topic hard to say who but feel we need someone with a cool head and who can lead the defence under pressure as average age looks to be coming down significantly.

To say he has been his mate for nearly 2 decades im pretty confident and sure he will share that information just like the fact at the height of his career he was on 32k a week playing in the premiership