Playing one up front at home

Was just gonna agree with above...i was only makeing a point that he 'dug his own grave' by promising one thing and doing another.

We have't arranged the phone in and hes accepted the chance.. not convinced thats the right decision.

I dont want any tactical details personally but im a firm believer of doing as you say!

Edited by Fruitygoo

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was just gonna agree with above...i was only makeing a point that he 'dug his own grave' by promising one thing and doing another.

We have't arranged the phone in and hes accepted the chance.. not convinced thats the right decision.

I dont want any tactical details personally but im a firm believer of doing as you say!

I also believe in doing as you say - but I'm not a football manager - I believe Louis Van Gaal claimed an attacking "philosophy" on taking over United - their 2 goals so far suggests otherwise - football managers always say one thing then when it comes down to it on match day a lot take the cautious approach even more so these days. The maverick approach of Royal just doesn't exist anymore

Why play your best winger up front?

I just do not get it. Kelly apparently watched a lot of our games last season yet he can't see that Forte is a winger and not a striker. That makes me worried.

Best players in best positions. How hard is that?

Playing one up front is not a problem - many a team have successfully competed like that - but replacing a hold up striker with somebody who is at his best running at defenders was never going to work. Philliskirk would be ideal as a hold up man.

FORTE IS A WINGER

Edited by NewBlue

3599 home fans this week compared to 3902 home fans last week

Yes it was first home game of the season and it's Bury away next week, but we're unbeaten thus far and won our home game last week

Fans didn't like what they saw against Fleetwood. Came out deflated.

3599 home fans this week compared to 3902 home fans last week

Yes it was first home game of the season and it's Bury away next week, but we're unbeaten thus far and won our home game last week

Fans didn't like what they saw against Fleetwood. Came out deflated.

Maybe some are just pissed off with being treated like idiots, no food, no drink, paying £10 for U12's when it was a fiver last season, lied to about the stand, just a selection of moans and groans I heard at the game today.

As a side note Tranmere pulled in 4800 today, think our commercial department need to get their act together. We must be one of the few Football League teams with declining home attenances.

Maybe some are just pissed off with being treated like idiots, no food, no drink, paying £10 for U12's when it was a fiver last season, lied to about the stand, just a selection of moans and groans I heard at the game today.

As a side note Tranmere pulled in 4800 today, think our commercial department need to get their act together. We must be one of the few Football League teams with declining home attenances.

I doubt we're one of few with declining crowds. But yes, it is rubbish. Tranmere somehow managed to increase season ticket sales. As for Latics, £22 is an awful lot for what you get.

I could've gone today. It was 50/50 for me on whether I would go to Latics or go to a non-league game. I chose the other option. The two things that decide how much I enjoy the day were dire last week. Atmosphere was dead, game was :censored:. I very rarely miss a home game when I'm able to attend but I had no urge to go to BP today.

Wondered how long that one would take...

That was my main concern about this management appointment. The fact that the novice manager would be tapping into the experience of his assistant manager. Who's only tactic is one up front. I was not a fan of the Darren Kelly appointment, but I was more concerned with Dean Holden, being his number 2.

Edited by Canada_latic

I doubt we're one of few with declining crowds. But yes, it is rubbish. Tranmere somehow managed to increase season ticket sales. As for Latics, £22 is an awful lot for what you get.

I could've gone today. It was 50/50 for me on whether I would go to Latics or go to a non-league game. I chose the other option. The two things that decide how much I enjoy the day were dire last week. Atmosphere was dead, game was :censored:. I very rarely miss a home game when I'm able to attend but I had no urge to go to BP today.

It was :censored: again today on those same 2 counts! Absolute garbage and they were the better team

Can you name another team whose home attendances have more than halved in the last ten years? And still falling.

Edited by yarddog73

Can you name another team whose home attendances have more than halved in the last ten years? And still falling.

There's not many.

In fairness that's not what you said in the original post, but I see where you're coming from.

Like said, it's a case of demoralising 3-sided ground, consistently depressing goalless football and a painful atmosphere

At this stage you could play any sort of attacking football and the crowds wouldn't come back. The club doesn't help itself in several ways but success is the only way to bring back the lapsed. That said, no success and less than a goal a game is just going to push more fans away, as the last few years have proven. You can put positive spins on it - unbeaten and such - but end of the day we're 12th in the table and it's not exciting yet and that's not going to get fans to return.

Edited by NewBlue

Last time we played Shrewsbury at home, the crowd was smaller than yesterday. Even though admission was cheaper.

We've increased season ticket sales this season compared to last season.

Under 12s can get in the Family Stand for a fiver. Or have a season ticket there for £10.

While some of the moans about the formation and style of play are justified, as are comparisons to John Sheridan's style of play (when the wage bill was probably far bigger than now) the above three statements are absolutes. They are real. Despite suggestions on the previous page to the contrary.

If we are to criticise the club let's at least focus on facts.

Edited by opinions4u

That was my main concern about this management appointment. The fact that the novice manager would be tapping into the experience of his assistant manager. Who's only tactic is one up front. I was not a fan of the Darren Kelly appointment, but I was more concerned with Dean Holden, being his number 2.

DH was and still is my reservation.

Last time we played Shrewsbury at home, the crowd was smaller than yesterday. Even though admission was cheaper.

We've increased season ticket sales this season compared to last season.

Under 12s can get in the Family Stand for a fiver. Or have a season ticket there for £10.

While some of the moans about the formation and style of play are justified, as are comparisons to John Sheridan's style of play (when the wage bill was probably far bigger than now) the above three statements are absolutes. They are real. Despite suggestions on the previous page to the contrary.

If we are to criticise the club let's at least focus on facts.

I didnt suggest them as facts, I quoted them as other peoples moans, the fact of the matter is my friend had to pay £10 for a 9 year old to watch as he likes to sit in the singing section, why should kids on one side of a barrier have to pay £10 a game or £50 a season and in the same stand with the same facilities £5 a game or £10 a season if they sit in a certain section?

If you think everythings fine and dandy I'm cool with that but on the ground in the RRE its far from that.

Hold on, the manager was the one making the promises not the fans!

Promises?

He was asked what style of play we could expect from him and answered the question.

Would you rather he'd said "I'm not saying because if it doesn't come off, or I have to change it due to injuries etc.. I'll get slated"?

The last manager who allowed us to play with freedom was Shez since when look at our home record........we've barely managed a goal a game since and averaged barely a 30% win ratio since 2009....

I took my nephew yesterday. His first game was when we beat Hereford 4-0 under Shez.

4-0 at home seemed no big deal back then.

I took my nephew yesterday. His first game was when we beat Hereford 4-0 under Shez.

4-0 at home seemed no big deal back then.

Can you believe over two games that year, we still lost against them!?!

If Dunn plays, it has to be one up top, or a diamond. He hasn't got the legs to play as the central 2 in a 4-4-2.

I don't think 4-2-3-1 is a bad shape for us, but we were full of square pegs yesterday. Croft and Jones as "wingers" isn't attacking. They'll work hard, and protect the full backs, but going forward is very meh. Jones is wasted there, especially when we have potentially the best left winger in the league trying to run the line up top on his own.

DK got it wrong today, and his substitutions weren't fab. Forte was shagged, there's no way he should have played the full 90, and Dunn should have been off 10 minutes earlier.

Dieng did well though, would be happy with a back four of Dieng Wilson Burn Mills.

If Dunn plays, it has to be one up top, or a diamond. He hasn't got the legs to play as the central 2 in a 4-4-2.

I don't think 4-2-3-1 is a bad shape for us, but we were full of square pegs yesterday. Croft and Jones as "wingers" isn't attacking. They'll work hard, and protect the full backs, but going forward is very meh. Jones is wasted there, especially when we have potentially the best left winger in the league trying to run the line up top on his own.

DK got it wrong today, and his substitutions weren't fab. Forte was shagged, there's no way he should have played the full 90, and Dunn should have been off 10 minutes earlier.

Dieng did well though, would be happy with a back four of Dieng Wilson Burn Mills.

I don't mind Dunn as the central one in the 3 of the 4-2-3-1, but the other two have to run their bollocks off - rather have Croft with Forte than Jones - Jones and Kelly as the 2 deeper mids could be quite good.