Playing one up front at home

Half of me thinks "Unbeaten in 4 matches. Great." And half of me thinks ":censored:ing hell. We played Fleetwood, Walsall, Colchester and Shewsbury. and have only won one match. We're going to get :censored:ing dicked when the really good teams start".

I'm pretty unconvinced by the tactics at the moment. Each match sounds terrible to watch and I've not been to a league one yet.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Half of me thinks "Unbeaten in 4 matches. Great." And half of me thinks ":censored:ing hell. We played Fleetwood, Walsall, Colchester and Shewsbury. and have only won one match. We're going to get :censored:ing dicked when the really good teams start".

I'm pretty unconvinced by the tactics at the moment. Each match sounds terrible to watch and I've not been to a league one yet.

Why haven't you been?....jut wondering like.

I don't mind Dunn as the central one in the 3 of the 4-2-3-1, but the other two have to run their bollocks off - rather have Croft with Forte than Jones - Jones and Kelly as the 2 deeper mids could be quite good.

Do we really want two deeper midfielders at home?

Edited by BP1960

If you could hand pick four teams to play in your opening games, them four would be high up the list...

I don't mind Dunn as the central one in the 3 of the 4-2-3-1, but the other two have to run their bollocks off - rather have Croft with Forte than Jones - Jones and Kelly as the 2 deeper mids could be quite good.

With the players we have this would be a formation I would favour, Jones is wasted out wide and all of our best performances over the past 12 months have seen him centrally with Kelly, Forte-Dunn-Croft in front of them with Turner up front on his own, too many players playing out of position yesterday, I dont understand the logic of that it kills players confidence.

At home Jones or Kelly would need to push on and drive the team on, two just sitting in just invites pressure.

Why haven't you been?....jut wondering like.

I'm involved with cricket so generally miss up to mid-September and from early April onwards. And now with a little lad around getting to midweek matches often proves difficult.

It's not a hard miss these days to be honest. If we were playing really well and deep into a promotion campaign I might be swayed.

If Dunn plays, it has to be one up top, or a diamond. He hasn't got the legs to play as the central 2 in a 4-4-2.

What exactly do you mean by "hasn't got the legs"?

He made the best and most explosive & threatening runs of any of our central midfielders yesterday and all season so far.

Jones and Croft do a lot of running for runnings sake, Croft especially.

Kelly and Dunn seem to position themselves so they don't have to run unless it's really necessary or worth it......

Think that could still be a long way off after watching the first few games!

Watching the City Everton game today brought it home just how massive a gap there is now from our division to the premiership. Our dream team of the early nineties wouldn't have had a prayer against today's premiership players, their ball retention, passing capabilities, and general all round skill is a joy to watch.

However they also do the simple things well too like pass and move, always looking to give the guy with the ball plenty of options, and for me that is one area in which we are sadly lacking.

On Saturday, the amount of times the player in possession had nowhere to go and no passing options on was criminal. Too many players stood statuesque waiting for something to happen instead of making it happen!

Surely this and general fitness is the bare minimum we should expect from a pro footballer in our division.

What exactly do you mean by "hasn't got the legs"?

He made the best and most explosive & threatening runs of any of our central midfielders yesterday and all season so far.

Jones and Croft do a lot of running for runnings sake, Croft especially.

Kelly and Dunn seem to position themselves so they don't have to run unless it's really necessary or worth it......

Hasn't got the legs to do a "complete" midfield performance. His legs are best saved for what you say, driving forward and creating, basically being given a free role, not fagging backwards defending.

Most teams away from home play 3 central midfielders. If our 2 were Dunn and Kelly, we'd be massively overrun.

Dunn spent too much time going out wide after the ball or space. His little legs should be saved for running through the middle at goal. Forte and Philiskirk or Turner up front could pull defenders out to make space for Dunn/Winchester/Jones to attack and shoot.

Watching the City Everton game today brought it home just how massive a gap there is now from our division to the premiership. Our dream team of the early nineties wouldn't have had a prayer against today's premiership players, their ball retention, passing capabilities, and general all round skill is a joy to watch.

However they also do the simple things well too like pass and move, always looking to give the guy with the ball plenty of options, and for me that is one area in which we are sadly lacking.

On Saturday, the amount of times the player in possession had nowhere to go and no passing options on was criminal. Too many players stood statuesque waiting for something to happen instead of making it happen!

Surely this and general fitness is the bare minimum we should expect from a pro footballer in our division.

We play some nice stuff but its generally 60 yards from goal and only allowed because the opposition has backed off due to there being no threat.

I made a similar point of players almost appearing to hide from the ball in another post so totally agree that players are statuesque and it ruins the attack.

We just look like we're too afraid to get beat to have a go...

I was exactly the same but then I remembered we have been in this god forsaken league for 17 going on 18 years - surely those exact same teams say the same about us... We are no longer a fallen sleeping giant (if we ever were) we are a league one club - in fact, as the longest serving club in this league THE league one club - we can not claim to have a divine right to beat anyone in this league - the start we have had should be seen as a positive

I was exactly the same but then I remembered we have been in this god forsaken league for 17 going on 18 years - surely those exact same teams say the same about us... We are no longer a fallen sleeping giant (if we ever were) we are a league one club - in fact, as the longest serving club in this league THE league one club - we can not claim to have a divine right to beat anyone in this league - the start we have had should be seen as a positive

I'm not so sure we should. That we've been in this division for a generation also makes us well-tuned to know what it takes to be a success in it as we've seen many teams go on to be promoted. The formula we have doesn't amount to that. We seem brittle and disjointed. Each match report and feel for it on Twitter just suggests we've been fairly fortunate and been outplayed more often than not. It doesn't exactly fill me with confidence when we know there are far stronger opposition lying in wait.

Maybe it's just typical early season finding our feet? We always seem to start a bit like this anyway. With us keeping a fairly settled squad on the while I was kinda expecting a little more. Just a lickle bit.

Where are fleetwood and walsall in the league, despite only taking 1 of 6 available points off us?

We're the longest serving club in any league (outside the prem).

This formation doesnt work with the personnel available. To play one up front you need either a unit with a couple of runners off him (which Dunn, Croft and Jones didnt do once) or a grafter who will chase down everything. Forte and Turner are not these strikers. Cassidy is, so would potentially work with him upfront, and too an extent Philliskirk will graft away up there. Croft is not an attacking right winger, his goal tally states that. Jones is not a left winger, completely wasted out there, especially with Connor Brown behind him who was reluctant to run more than 4 yards forward with the ball. I feel the manager is pretty naive not recognising that you have to play the best formation that fits the personnel, not just play your best players in your UEFA guide book formation.

Philliskirk doing the role Jones should be doing is also a bit drab. Id have had Forte left, Philiskirk up top and jones DCM with that line up on Saturday. Philiskirk will graft up there, where Forte was lazy and too exposed. I just dont see how it isnt glaringly obvious to the manager and coaching staff that we are only creating 1 or 2 chances per game.

• 2 weeks later...