kelly 6 games in

should kelly go  

187 members have voted

1. 1. do you think kelly should be relieved of his duties

• yes immediately
    • give him another 4 games
    • give him until christmas
    • no he is the man to take us forward

I think we're best off letting him go. Solely because the guy never stood a chance. He's neither a salesman or a "name" so he was never going to be allowed time or mistakes.

Unless he gets us into the top 6 immediately and keeps us there scoring 2/3 goals a game I can't see how he'd ever be accepted.

Went today and yes that first half was dreadful and there are a few things I'd question, but the fact that we played 2/3rds of the game a man down (and drew that hour) doesn't seem to count for much.

I feel for him as he was clearly gutted in his post match interview and seems like a good bloke. He may even go on to have a good managerial career, but he's not the right fit for us now. Through little fault of his own really.

Very much my perspective

As soon as he was appointed there were people out to get rid of him , and not just for football related issues.

I think he is a decent fellow , struggling in his first job at this level, and he's not going to get the chance to grow and get better at it.

I've always lthought clubs that gave a manager only a couple of months as being rather sad and silly ....

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly this is what we have become.

The board want shooting for appointing him initially

I think Corney really misjudged the situation when Johnson left. A roll of the dice on someone more established who might have developed a bit of a siege mentality was the way to go. Link their salary to points/wins/goals, anything like that really to minimise exposure.

We weren't going to get relegated but we might have stayed around the play offs. If it didn't work then go long term with a Kelly-type appointment in the summer.

With the stand progressing too that probably would have galvanised the fans as well.

I think Corney really misjudged the situation when Johnson left. A roll of the dice on someone more established who might have developed a bit of a siege mentality was the way to go. Link their salary to points/wins/goals, anything like that really to minimise exposure.

We weren't going to get relegated but we might have stayed around the play offs. If it didn't work then go long term with a Kelly-type appointment in the summer.

With the stand progressing too that probably would have galvanised the fans as well.

But we cant afford to get promoted?

I'm confused!

1. Bearing in mind that league 1 survival is the name of our game there will be no pressure to move Darren on until we settle into the bottom four.

2. The argument about where best to play Forte is once again in point. Goals were scored from wide left and then he found himself up top and the goals have all but disappeared. I suggest he doesn't like playing up top as clearly he can't hold up the ball and I would expect him to get frustrated and he has ended up doing something stupid.

3. We lost the game because Coleman made a mistake coming for a cross and because we lost a player. When we finally and belatedly settled on three at the back and two up front we were with 10 men the better team.

4. How can DK and DH be the management/coaching team when there is so little interaction between them?

5. Six players were in position which means five were out of position.

6. The consensus is that we have the best squad of players for some time but how can that be given the difficulty the team is having both creating and more importantly converting chances.

Roll on Peterborough when I suspect I will still be confused.

I think the timing is all wrong for Kelly. Last year for the first time in a loooong time the fans had a sniff of success in the league. We were promised and witnessed the birth of a new stand and our hopes were risen that the Oldham Athletic that we have put up with was finally going to do something we could be proud of.

Bang we appoint Kelly, slight fading of hope.....but we still have the squad who we know are capable as we have seen it.

Bang the new stand isn't ready, a lot of fans have bought tickets in there even more fading of hope.

Bang Kelly doesn't seem to have the nouse required to be a manager. And before anyone disagrees with me please look at this point. To play 1 up front can work, people say no you need 2 is being naive because those 2 could be Rickers and Neville Roach, but not having the correct type of player to play that role and to still insist on playing that formation is blatantly pointing to someone who is out of his depth. To then not have the capacity to think on the spot when we go down to 10 men is again indicative of someone who isn't confident enough in his own abilities to make a change.

Nice guy or not he is in my opinion wasting an opportunity for my football club who I spend vast amount of time and money on to give me some enjoyment. That's why I will not wait another 4 games to judge him. He's been here 4 months and has not done 1 thing that's made me have any ounce of faith in him.

Kelly seems to be a coach, not a manager.

Dickov was a manager (albeit not a very good one), not a coach.

Sheridan was both.

LJ is a bit of both though not the manager he thinks he is.

I'm not sure what Penney was..

Moore was a manager, not a coach.

If we can't have a man who can do both I'd like us to go for a manager this time rather than another newfangled badge waving coach...

Almost reads like a sex manual - think I'll break the lines later, enter the spin and slide zone, I'll see whether she's up for exploring her corridor of confusion but I must avoid bomb alley

Did you get into the individual brilliance zone? Am curious....heheh

I'm finding myself more disillusioned with Corney than anybody.

The requirement for a new manager, for me, was a decent name in conjuction with the new stand and with experience, who could inherit a good team and not have to learn on the job.

We got the cheap option once again.

He put Kelly in the firing line, as he knew he was not was fans wanted, now he's sent Barry to get the flak from the fans and said very little if anything in support of either. Couple that with the confusion around the opening of the new stand and I'm concerned about his motives.

I'm finding myself more disillusioned with Corney than anybody.

The requirement for a new manager, for me, was a decent name in conjuction with the new stand and with experience, who could inherit a good team and not have to learn on the job.

We got the cheap option once again.

He put Kelly in the firing line, as he knew he was not was fans wanted, now he's sent Barry to get the flak from the fans and said very little if anything in support of either. Couple that with the confusion around the opening of the new stand and I'm concerned about his motives.

Corney was not there yesterday, I have serious doubts as to whether he sent Barry down, I'm much more inclined to think this was a decision that was made by Barry

Corney was not there yesterday, I have serious doubts as to whether he sent Barry down, I'm much more inclined to think this was a decision that was made by Barry

I meant the phone-in on the radio. At the match yesterday, at least Barry went and faced the criticism like somebody who may be accountable to fans.

Corney is conspicuous in his absence, and the club doesn't feel right at the moment.

the writing was on the wall when we did not appoint someone sharpish after Johnson left, we actually had at a push a chance at the play-offs but corney and co obviously were not interested. The boards mentality is clear and as long as the estate agent, copper and phone salesman are still running this football club we're not going anywhere.

the writing was on the wall when we did not appoint someone sharpish after Johnson left, we actually had at a push a chance at the play-offs but corney and co obviously were not interested. The boards mentality is clear and as long as the estate agent, copper and phone salesman are still running this football club we're not going anywhere.

You're right to say the source of this was prior to his appointment.

My annoyance at Corney stems from surrendering last season when we were around the play offs. Unforgivable.

agree with every criticism I shared my similar concerns as long as 6 years ago.

Where are we going as a club? The annual ambition of loanees , rookie manager and a media circus whilst aiming for the lofty heights of 15th is no longer good enough.

Finish the stand Simon, and sell the club for a fair price to someone who can give it their full attention not just a couple of days per month.

As for giving up in a good position it's happened year after year

06/07 porter was struggling with injury from February onwards we got Clarke for a month what about afterwards?

08/09 still in with a play off shout yet we let Hughes go out on loan ok he was a bellend but where's his replacement?

10/11 still placed well for a late charge, Stephens leaves on loan

12/13 relegation battle, you allow your captain to walk

14/15 5th in the league your manager leaves you fudge about go for the cheap option and finish in the bottom half

Now your new management team between them have 3 wins in 25 and 19 goals in that time, your new stand is behind and your board members commit high profile media gaffes.

What do you do?