John Sheridan

There would be few appointments I would be less enthused about than John Sheridan.

He was sacked. He tried and failed. I would like someone with a bit more potential or pedigree.

If you think failure is 3 seasons of top 10 finishes, including a chance in the play offs and a FA cup win over Everton, then what on earth have you been watching since he left?

If you think failure is 3 seasons of top 10 finishes, including a chance in the play offs and a FA cup win over Everton, then what on earth have you been watching since he left?

2 top ten finishes, technically.

And do you not recall how badly things were falling apart in the 2008-2009 season at the time of his sacking?

Basically we started well under him, Sheridan seemed to be on to something, but it was all regression from there. This culminated in our disastrous form at the end of his final season. We had some good players during his time, but it became increasingly obvious that he never really knew what to do with them or how to handle them.

Corney saw all this first hand. I would be beyond shocked if JS is even being considered.

2 top ten finishes, technically.

And do you not recall how badly things were falling apart in the 2008-2009 season at the time of his sacking?

Basically we started well under him, Sheridan seemed to be on to something, but it was all regression from there. This culminated in our disastrous form at the end of his final season. We had some good players during his time, but it became increasingly obvious that he never really knew what to do with them or how to handle them.

Corney saw all this first hand. I would be beyond shocked if JS is even being considered.

Unfortunately I think you're right.

Although I'd have kept him for the rest of the season instead of us throwing in the towel as we did with Royle in charge.

Can we please stop living in the past? Why are people so determined to bring back Dowie, Sheridan, Ritchie et al? The removal of Kelly is the chance for a new start and although I'm not particularly enamoured with the appointment of a Dingle he is the interim boss. If he does well he'll be given job til end of season and maybe beyond. Harping on past glories will not get us out of this dire division. As a final point I don't think there's enough money in the club to, firstly, employ them and secondly to entice the players they'd want to sign. For once lets just back the bloody manager, coaching staff and players!!!

All this bollocks about getting ex managers back is the most depressing part of it all. We as a group of fans are so lacking in creativity or forethought that the best we can come up with is John Sheridan.

In 2006 John Sheridan enjoyed great fortune with the youth setup, Chris Taylor and Neil Eardley both coming through at the same time two players that would comfortably make the step up to a higher level. We had players that today would walk in to our current team, Wellens, Gregan, Porter, Pogs, Liddell, even Stefan Stam and Paul Warne it could be argued. Was the football that great? Not as I remember but it had its moments, potentially the memories of Shez are tinted by the dark days of Ronnie Moore and later Dave Penney.

Sheridan was lucky with what he inherited and blessed with a decent budget, even so we didnt get promoted and in fact we werent anywhere near it. We were trounced by Blackpool in the play offs. The quality dropped off from there, our points tallies were 75, 67, 65 over his three years in charge, moving further and further adrift of the play off spots. In his final year we had Kieran Lee not even making the bench most of the time, with 7 appearances in total. Anybody who has ever seen any level of football for even a single moment could see that Kieran Lee was a decent footballer from the brief time he got on the pitch. Players with a football brain stand out. Anyway, we ignored our best plyer for an entire season and persevered with Kevin Maher, Danny Whittiker and Mark Allot in midfield instead. I understand that hindsight is a wonderful thing, but a number of people were saying it then and youd expect someone who had the ability of John Sheridan would notice these things, seeing them every day in training. Either he somehow missed it (which I find hard to believe, although Dangerous Dave seemed to do the same until striking lucky) or as rumoured this was a Corney signing and Sheridan was being stubborn. In any case, it reflects pretty badly.

So he was sacked following some scandal I can barely remember involving some dogs and Charles Manson.

We brought back Joe Royle God in the eyes of many, at the end of the 2009 season as interim manager. He won 1 in 9. Yet somehow, bringing back an old manager is going to equal guaranteed success. We had Greame Sharp as manager after Joe Royles first period in charge, he was a disaster. We had Andy Ritchie as manager after Neil Warnock, stayed up on the last day of the season to avoid L2 albeit with a tiny budget. He hasnt been a success anywhere he has been. Dean Holden is an ex-player, although not the right sort of ex-player cos hes not from 20 years ago. Are ex-players really the way forward, will we have our Oldham back when are in L2 booing Roger Palmer for his failed attempt at management?

Edited by LeylandLatic

Largely agree with the above, with a couple of things to add.

It could be argued either way as to whether or not Andy Ritchie has been a success anywhere he has been. I would say though that, unlike Sheridan, he has a League 1 promotion on his CV. I also think he was harshly dismissed from the job here. However, I still wouldn't hope for him as manager again.

If I was picking an ex manager to come here, it would certainly be Dowie. He was a success, he wasn't sacked and he didn't disrespect us when he moved on. So long as he still had the passion, he'd be a good appointment I think. Won't happen though.

Sheridan wouldn't be top of my list, by any means.

But I'd take him over Dunn.

But it's irrelevant because the job is clearly Dunn's. Not once did Gordon or Dunn use the word 'interim' in that interview (at least not so as I noticed whilst listening and taking a passing interest in the work I was supposed to be doing).

Largely agree with the above, with a couple of things to add.

It could be argued either way as to whether or not Andy Ritchie has been a success anywhere he has been. I would say though that, unlike Sheridan, he has a League 1 promotion on his CV. I also think he was harshly dismissed from the job here. However, I still wouldn't hope for him as manager again.

If I was picking an ex manager to come here, it would certainly be Dowie. He was a success, he wasn't sacked and he didn't disrespect us when he moved on. So long as he still had the passion, he'd be a good appointment I think. Won't happen though.

I liked Dowie when he was here but I'm never as keen for him to return as some seem to be. He did well with us yes, but at a time when we were almost the Chelsea of league 1. We had money to spend and it seemed a player made his debut every week. He couldn't get us up with it. He then went to various other clubs all with money to spend and barring his debut season with Palace, hasn't really ripped up trees. I just don't think he'd produce anything with the peanuts we have to spend these days

• 2 months later...

Ah the joys of watching a man who looked like he could barely walk, never mind run, still boss a game. I still think if you plonked him in the center circle and said stay in that area we'd create more than we do now!

A wizard with the ball...absolute privilige to watch

Edited by Fruitygoo