New Manager Thread [Mergomatic Active]

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really don't think you can blame the Board for this one. They tried and it was him who rejected, not a lot we can do.

We will never know how close we were if he has now decided against us...must have been close if he was ringing players. But for things to fall down with so little time left with a thread bare squad is not ideal... Also how will Bunn or Adams feel knowing they were clearly second choice

Really don't think you can blame the Board for this one. They tried and it was him who rejected, not a lot we can do.

Maybe so but its :censored: like this that pisses me off.....

Negotiations with the club's chosen man continued over the weekend and club officials are confident that an appointment is close.

So, I apply for a job that I want, but don't necessarily need. My prospective employers make me the best offer they can within their budget restraints. I want more than they are offering/able to afford. I say "Thank you very much, but I'm not taking up the offer". That's their fault? I give up. Cue the "SC should give him/players/tea lady more money to work with. Simple, eh? Oh, if only it were.

The journalist (Alan Nixon) who seemed in the know from early doors has just tweeted:

"Oldham. Evans. Deal fell through over size and cost of backroom staff."

Cue fat jokes etc. But strange if that is the case, would have thought that would have been discussed early on.

Quick question, would you rather the cub had just gone for Bunn/Adams or tried to push the boat out on Evans?

Unless there's new money I fail to see how Evans could have managed. Looks to me as if freebies and young loanees are what we will get, so Bunn or similar may be the way forward.

Edited by BP1960

The journalist (Alan Nixon) who seemed in the know from early doors has just tweeted:

Cue fat jokes etc. But strange if that is the case, would have thought that would have been discussed early on.

Maybe Evans' deal was discussed first. Once that was settled, Evans said what backroom staff he wanted and we couldn't run to it. All speculation, innit.

Edit: I think adamoafc and I had the same idea at the same time

Edited by Bristolatic

It was always a bit too good to be true though...like when you are chasing that bird that's a bit too fit for you and she gives you a sniff of hope by replying to one text...it always leads to that dilemma of should I send double texts or even worse triple?!

OAFC: Hi Steve how are you? fancy discussing the oldham job?

STEVE: Hi, I'm good thanks how's you? Ok What's the salary?

OAFC: I'm amazing thanks! That's great news!! Well It's two pints of lager and a packet of Crisps a week!

1 hour later OAFC: How does that sound?

2 hours later OAFC: Are you getting my texts Steve?

Edited by Blue_Guru

Normally the final pieces once his wage etc has been discussed between agents and club.

But if you read some of the other things Nixon has put on twitter, such as having players lined up and the club arranging his accommodation, then how can that all be happening without an agreement over backroom staff? Or at least even a conversation about it to see if they're on the same page. But for it to be a deal breaker would suggest they're miles apart?

Don't know what to feel! angry, sad or jus accept it because it's latics

We will never know how close we were if he has now decided against us...must have been close if he was ringing players. But for things to fall down with so little time left with a thread bare squad is not ideal... Also how will Bunn or Adams feel knowing they were clearly second choice

Whoever applies. they will know that someone has to be first choice and everyone else falls behind that. So it shouldn't come as a great shock. Wasn't Shirtliff 2nd choice as Shez's assistant? Still took the job, though. And let's be honest, if you know you're in the running with the likes of Evans, I think you'll be fairly surprised if you're chosen ahead of him.

Whoever applies. they will know that someone has to be first choice and everyone else falls behind that. So it shouldn't come as a great shock. Wasn't Shirtliff 2nd choice as Shez's assistant? Still took the job, though. And let's be honest, if you know you're in the running with the likes of Evans, I think you'll be fairly surprised if you're chosen ahead of him.

And Shirtliff did a sterling job

All rational thoughts but we live in a world where emotion exists...I know I would feel a bit of resentment if I was in their shoes.

But if you read some of the other things Nixon has put on twitter, such as having players lined up and the club arranging his accommodation, then how can that all be happening without an agreement over backroom staff? Or at least even a conversation about it to see if they're on the same page. But for it to be a deal breaker would suggest they're miles apart?

I think if your thinking you've got a job you start planning especially with pre season around the corner and house would of been part of his wage I would imagine.

Got to laugh the official is reminding us that the fixtures for the coming season are being released in the morning, can I use this opportunity to remind them that its 6 :censored:ing weeks away and we are no nearer to appointing a manager we were told they hoped to have in place by the 13th June, bunch of :censored:ing amateurs.

It couldn't possibly be that every single league website gets that article automatically inserted by the people who they are run by (not the club), can't remember who it is?

For some-one as mild-mannered as myself to comment on it, really is an indicator of how tedious your desperate incessant mission to have the same go over and over and over and over ......... some time later ........ and over and over and over again really is.

All rational thoughts but we live in a world where emotion exists...I know I would feel a bit of resentment if I was in their shoes.

I won't argue with that, but I think that with so many managers out of work, you'll grab the opportunity even if you know you're not first choice. In Bunn's case, it's a step up from coaching the yoofs (OK, is Latics really a step up? I'll take that on the chin). Adams didn't quite cut the mustard at Norwich, so it's an opportunity to hit the managerial trail again, second choice or not. Like I said earlier, it's all speculation at the moment, because none of us really know what's going on, do we? We've only got Twatter to work with until the real story comes tumbling out.

.......must have been close if he was ringing players.

Perhaps the response from his targets made his mind up.

We haven't even got the nucleus of a team........How the hell is Frankie Bunn or Neil Adams, with no experience of the division, going to be able to recruit and shape a whole playing squad in six weeks. By the time any appointment is made it will be probably nearer a month.

In the situation we now find ourselves, experience will be absolutely vital.....a rookie manager at this stage would be suicidal!

Would a rookie be offered the same player budget made available to Evans?

I can see this dragging on and on!!