John Cooper Clarke

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:censored:, Beasley Street, Beasley Boulevard and I wanna be yours. Excellent.

"Like a death at a birthday party, you ruin all the fun. Like a sucked out Smartie, you're no use to anyone....... You went to a progressive psychiatrist, he recommended suicide; before scratching your name off his list and pointing the way outside."

Just spent the last 2 hours listening to his stuff entirely due to this thread.

I don't teach so I don't have that experience...however I did catch an inspector near the students toilets listening to student chatter, which I thought was quite sneaky, but to get an honest opinion I suppose instead of a classroom prepped response.

Nonce

Agreed

He was quite good when he was young and still connected to his northern roots.

Nowadays he comes across as middle-aged, middle-class former northerner with an exaggerated Salford accent, drawing on tired stereotypes of a north with which he is no longer connected.

A bit like Jimmy Tarbuck, that wonderfully funny scouser who still loves the club, but who has lived most of his life in the south, who isn't in the least bit funny (late middle, middle-class, royalist Tory) and who would :censored: himself if he ever returned to his 'beloved' city.

Okay, they're nothing like each other, but you might get my point about ex-northerners.

Diego - thank you for the reply

Next time I fly over I must take a visit to the Oldham town centre rather than just the family and boundary park :)

In the meantime you may enjoy some more pictures:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/diego_sideburns/albums/72157610349233545

https://www.flickr.com/photos/diego_sideburns/albums/72157605476705050