FA Cup Round 1: Mansfield v Oldham

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried to hold a similar attitude, but there's only so long you can kid yourself.

I felt after the last two, Saturday would be vital as to whether we had turned a corner and could move up the table, but here we are, back at square one.

Yeah I predicted a win Saturday. Changed my mind after 10 minutes.

What do YOU think is our strongest side BP? How would YOU play them?

Away from home the tactics are ok, but at home we need to be more direct, get crosses over and players in and around the opposition box taking plenty of shots at goal, unfortunately with the present staff, (Higdon excepted) I don't hold up much hope of us getting many headers in.

The problem we have is with loanees and short termers coming and going we never have a settled side, and in the new year the team will look nothing like it is now, it's this lack of continuity which is badly affecting things at the moment IMO.

Ideally, if everyone was fit I think DD would pick a better side than we have now. Cassidy and Forte and probably Jones would be certain starters.

So at home 4--4-2, that's two full backs who can overlap, two solid centre backs, two box to box midfield grafters (not holding midfielders), two out and out wingers, a goal poacher and a big strong centre forward.

Away from home the tactics are ok, but at home we need to be more direct, get crosses over and players in and around the opposition box taking plenty of shots at goal, unfortunately with the present staff, (Higdon excepted) I don't hold up much hope of us getting many headers in.

The problem we have is with loanees and short termers coming and going we never have a settled side, and in the new year the team will look nothing like it is now, it's this lack of continuity which is badly affecting things at the moment IMO.

Ideally, if everyone was fit I think DD would pick a better side than we have now. Cassidy and Forte and probably Jones would be certain starters.

So at home 4--4-2, that's two full backs who can overlap, two solid centre backs, two box to box midfield grafters (not holding midfielders), two out and out wingers, a goal poacher and a big strong centre forward.

We'd get overrun in midfield.

Being booked for dissent when he had a suspension round the corner was irresponsible.

You can tell Kelly want a to win every game, unlike some of them. His frustration is bound to boil over at some point. But yes, shouldn't be getting booked for mouthing off

Why? big Joe's teams didn't using that system, I agree though we'd struggle with any system with this lot.

Even now when we flood the midfield only Kelly is putting a foot in. If we were to go 442 how would step up to the plate? Football has moved on massively since those days.

Why? big Joe's teams didn't using that system, I agree though we'd struggle with any system with this lot.

I appreciate what you are saying but Joe was manager 23 years ago!

The game has changed and Henry and Milliigan would constantly be suspended nowadays.

we need to find another way of playing but reverting back to the 60,70s,80,s etc isnt the answer

We could take a decent following there if it's a Saturday could attract the day trippers.

I cant honestly think of any reason that any fan would be in attendance next weekend, other than theyve got naff all else to do. Even then id be tempted to just crack a few off until dust came out instead

We could take a decent following there if it's a Saturday could attract the day trippers.

I cant honestly think of any reason that any fan would be in attendance next weekend, other than theyve got naff all else to do. Even then id be tempted to just crack a few off until dust came out instead

I appreciate what you are saying but Joe was manager 23 years ago!

The game has changed and Henry and Milliigan would constantly be suspended nowadays.

we need to find another way of playing but reverting back to the 60,70s,80,s etc isnt the answer

If their is one thing we can do from Joe's team is that we do need to fire more balls into the box from wide areas we don't have to change the formation to do that we just need to get the ball wide earlier and get the full backs firing in more first time crosses. We need more tempo and intensity I hope heads are being banged together today in training because we play like we did saturday then we will struggle to score.