This division is killing us

It is really isn't it? We've been in it for far too long. Its stale. Fans have left us in droves since we dropped in, both loyal and fleeting.

Relegation, for me, would 'revitalise' us in two ways. The board decide to mount a promotion charge bringing something positive to get behind or we continue to cloth-cut and end up in non league where EVERY weekend is like FA Cup first round day.

Maybe it's like cutting off your head to cure toothache but basically we need a new head anyway.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tranmere lost to Dover today. I don't know if a relegation would revitalise us. We might find out soon.

If it did happen I imagine it will be another opportunity to remind us that expectations have to be realistic.

Edited by ChrisA

I'm starting to come around to the thought of relegation and rebirth.

There are some bigger clubs in our division that seem to be struggling at the end of the table too.

I just can't put my finger on why I can't get over excited about this team, when most were here when it was going right this time last season.

Missing a leader, a shouter, an organiser on the pitch for sure

Happy staying here than getting relegated....we could keep on sliding and that's not what we want!

Why? Why is it good staying in this division scrapping to stay afloat? More TV money? Our budget just gets cut year on year anyway. If we kept sliding to the point that we'd need to go bust and reform the club we have enough fans that care deep down. If Wimbledon could, we could and it's make the next ten to fifteen years be a million times better than the last.

Revitalise?!!! Rubbish. If anything it'd take us a step closer to being the next Stockport.

We'd lose another 500 fans, be even less of an attractive investment proposition, and find L2 even tougher to get out.

If we had an ambitious board that genuinely welcomed investment I'd agree. But I can see the only way to make fans like me and many others feel part of something special would be to fall to the depths of Stockport, oust the current board and reform with a proper fan-led trust. We'd probably never reach this division again but the rise back up would be a hell of a journey.

I'm probably done after this season as a fan anyway. Something like this may re-ignite my passion again.

It is really isn't it? We've been in it for far too long. Its stale. Fans have left us in droves since we dropped in, both loyal and fleeting.

Relegation, for me, would 'revitalise' us in two ways. The board decide to mount a promotion charge bringing something positive to get behind or we continue to cloth-cut and end up in non league where EVERY weekend is like FA Cup first round day.

Maybe it's like cutting off your head to cure toothache but basically we need a new head anyway.

The most ridiculous post in OWTB history. Every weekend is like FA Cup first round day for non-league clubs.? No it isn't. FFS

I don't think we would.

Why would 500 people who've suffered this :censored: for so long not continue to suffer similar :censored: a division below?

You could have asked that question a year, three years five years, ten years ago.

Edited by Dave_Og

I don't think we would.

Why would 500 people who've suffered this :censored: for so long not continue to suffer similar :censored: a division below?

I think because relegation is the easiest, most obvious excuse to stop going and break a habit - the stand going down was a good one as well...

There's ppl saying they're on the edge after today...but they'll keep coming back for torture until a suitable straw to break the camel's back.

And once they're gone, unless we instantly jump back up and are winning every week, it's very, very hard to get them back.

A new dawn would get them back. Some anyway. It would take a bit of a fall, a bloodless coup and a passionate rebirth but just because fans have stopped watching doesn't mean they've stopped caring.

The same fans, and more, would come back with a new dawn in having a good go at promotion from this division which would cost far less and be far quicker and be much less of a gamble....

What a joke of a post, relegation would be disastrous for the club seeing as we don't have many on long term deals. We'd end up with an even worse team than now. If we go down and then somehow put together a promotion winning team there no guarantees people would come back and we'd get 6000 home gates. The club is in the worst geographical position in Europe next to an expanding man city and United, the board do a decent job of propping us up. We just need to be more positive although I agree the manager needs to be playing a more attacking team for us to get behind at home

I've never understood the "relegation might be a good thing" idea, it just wouldn't, it would be crap. There's no certainty we'd go back up and there's a chance we'd go down again. Also people who don't come to games now aren't going to come back to watch us in a worse league with (arguably) worse players.......