Please don't be mean to our players during the game

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/95119/pull-together-to-end-home-hoodoo

"And the club's owner feels that there is something of a negative feedback loop on match days at SportsDirect.com Park, with a lack of victories resulting in a small minority of supporters coming into the ground vocalising a negative mindset that adversely affects their club's own players.

“I do feel that there is an issue at home,” said Corney, who has himself witnessed only one Athletic victory in eight months, against Rochdale in March.
“I want to make it clear that we are very appreciative of the vast majority of fans.
“And I think supporters don't appreciate sometimes just how big a difference it makes to the players by really getting behind them.
“It is the tiny minority, the one-per-cent. The negativity can and does affect the players – they are trying and are putting in the effort.
“We dominated in the last home game against Burton. Things could easily have gone our way, but they didn't.
“We really want and need everyone behind us, because we all want that success.”"

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If good football was on show and we were giving everything week In week out then fair enough but on current showing I don't accept what corney is saying. Ritchies team wasn't filled with talent and had a lot of cloggers but they put everything in every week which meant people turned out to watch and appreciated what they had to watch.

Think corney needs to open his eyes to what really is the problem. Him bringing in coaches/ managers not fit for the job.

Edited by adamoafc

We may have dominated burton but they came with a plan to hit us on the break and it worked. How many times have we seen that happen?

Stop blaming fans when the vast majority support the team during the game and instead lay the blame on the gutless disinterested players who have only recorded 4 wins in over a year at home.

Corney said there a few fans who seem to want to criticise more than they offer support to the players

Seems about right from what I've seen and heard

That may be true, but to then claim that it has some effect on the points we have on the board is blatant bollocks.

Pay as much money as we do we have a right to tell the players when they're playing badly eg someone had the right to tell James Wilson his same pass he plays week in week out is :censored:ing gash at the last home game

Nobody is saying otherwise - just that it may be counter productive

Hey , entirely up to you how you want to encourage the players and the team. If you believe that what you do is beneficial , go right ahead

We may have dominated burton but they came with a plan to hit us on the break and it worked. How many times have we seen that happen?

Stop blaming fans when the vast majority support the team during the game and instead lay the blame on the gutless disinterested players who have only recorded 4 wins in over a year at home.

He didn't blame the fans, what he said, almost word for word what you said

“I want to make it clear that we are very appreciative of the vast majority of fans."
“And I think supporters don't appreciate sometimes just how big a difference it makes to the players by really getting behind them.

And the words Vast Majority were the same.

He is clearly pleading for those that give sustained abuse to support as well.

He didn't blame, he asked for more support from those that don't.
I am not just taking issue with your post , others have, it just struck me how similar the wording was.
Corney was clearly not aiming his words at anyone supporting the team most of the game,
Edited by singe

Corney said there a few fans who seem to want to criticise more than they offer support to the players

That's always been the case with some whether we've been good or bad...

And how much criticism do players themselves actually come in for?

Most people who have been critical lately have been critical of the complete lack of intent to try and score goals & win games rather than critical of individual players.....

When will Corney and the rest of the board for that matter learn to stop biting off the hand that feeds them? He could of put his point across a whole lot better, an open letter to the loyal fans would of been a good idea apologising for his piss poor management and decision making over the past 12 months, asking for everyone to come together and attemt to create a siege mentality, instead he comes up with the bright idea of fan bashing, does he not feel the apathy from many diehards at the moment?

When will Corney and the rest of the board for that matter learn to stop biting off the hand that feeds them? He could of put his point across a whole lot better, an open letter to the loyal fans would of been a good idea apologising for his piss poor management and decision making over the past 12 months, asking for everyone to come together and attemt to create a siege mentality, instead he comes up with the bright idea of fan bashing, does he not feel the apathy from many diehards at the moment?

“I want to make it clear that we are very appreciative of the vast majority of fans."

I do agree with your point that holding his hand up to say we have got it wrong sometimes would help.
Edited by singe

I want to make it clear that we are very appreciative of the vast majority of fans."

I understand that but his own lack of responsibility for our current position may be a reason that may turn another fan or two off turning up for games, especially after reading that. Many ST holders I know are seriously thinking of not bothering next season this latest dig is hardly engaging with the fans is it?

At games them players are some of the best backed by some of the most patient fans in the football league, have a look in the mirror Mr Corney and ask yourself if you are not a little bit to blame for the poor team in front of us, as per usual blame the fans, clueless.

Oh the sweet irony...

Whichever way you put it, it's unwise to go slagging off the fans who are clearly closest to breaking point.

This must have been one of the worst calendar years the club has ever experienced and you can't lay into your fans on the back of it.

It's a pathetic excuse for our home form.