Please don't be mean to our players during the game

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's obvious that abuse during the game will have a negative impact on the players and their decision making. The oft-weilded argument that they should 'man up' is also an ignorant one. No-one thrives under constant negativity & I'm sure the posters on here wouldn't like abuse whilst they were trying to sweep up.

You could go and watch any struggling team in the country this weekend and you will hear the same reactions, it's not exclusive to Latics.

People are paying their money and they will voice their opinions.

You could go and watch any struggling team in the country this weekend and you will hear the same reactions, it's not exclusive to Latics.

I don't think you needed the word "Struggling". I would be surprised if there is any club where you wouldn't hear criticism from the stands if the home side isn't in front 20 minutes into the game. As at Latics it will come from the minority but it will be there.

Just recently the press have emphasised the frustration at Old Trafford and earlier in the campaign at the Emirates. The only game I have been to in recent years where I have been sat with Premier League fans was last season at City v Barcelona. The grief City were getting as they desperately chased the ball was much worse than I have heard at BP.

That's 3 of the current top 4 teams in the country. I bet the Leicester fans were getting stuck in when they were trailing to West Brom a couple of weeks back too.

Like it or not, it is all part and parcel of the game.

And the vast majory, even 99% there is no problem with. He clearly is pleading with the vast majority that have every right to epxress frustaration sometimes. He is actively encouraging fans to encourage the team.

He is wanting those that abuse the players from min 1 or dont give a chance to stop

Mainly, he is asking to give the players more encouragment.

What is actually wrong with that?

It's not as if he is saying that is the only problem is it.

I'm intrigued as to what Corney thought this statement would achieve? Does he think that the 1% will stop and reflect on their actions, realising the error of their ways and adjust their behaviour accordingly? Or does he just want to have a pop at the fans?

He can try and deflect the blame all he likes but the club is continuing its slow decline under his management and all this sort of thing does is alienate the few remaining fans still further than they have been by previous rants, the Ched Evans saga, Barry's appointment to the Board, etc, etc.

Not that I think he gives a :censored: about that. It seems he can get his head around the fact that relegation wouldn't be good for business though - best to direct your frustrations at the fans, rather than the :censored: managers you appoint, or the players, or, God-forbid, yourself, eh Simon?

I would have thought it might encourage a few fans to encorage the team more. I agree, he should hold his hand up for parts he contributed, but all he has asked is that a few of the persistent moaners actually encourge the team. And has clearly no issue with 99% of the fans.

I would have thought it might encourage a few fans to encorage the team more. I agree, he should hold his hand up for parts he contributed, but all he has asked is that a few of the persistent moaners actually encourge the team. And has clearly no issue with 99% of the fans.

Clearly.

Whilst I accept SC means well and is targeting quite a small minority of negative fans, you can't hide how awful our home record is and how it's such a chore to pay good money to watch abject football. Sure, booing and vocally abusing our own players isn't constructive but anyone knows it is born out of pure frustration after seeing the same mistakes happen again.

It's simple, make it a remit for a manager to actively go for the win rather than actively looking to avoid defeat. Fans will accept a lot of dross if they know a team is going to get a hiding sooner or later. At the moment we really don't look like giving anyone a hiding and this is the crux of the problem for me. Not the odd foul-mouthed :censored:wit in the crowd.

Whilst I accept SC means well and is targeting quite a small minority of negative fans, you can't hide how awful our home record is and how it's such a chore to pay good money to watch abject football. Sure, booing and vocally abusing our own players isn't constructive but anyone knows it is born out of pure frustration after seeing the same mistakes happen again.

It's simple, make it a remit for a manager to actively go for the win rather than actively looking to avoid defeat. Fans will accept a lot of dross if they know a team is going to get a hiding sooner or later. At the moment we really don't look like giving anyone a hiding and this is the crux of the problem for me. Not the odd foul-mouthed :censored:wit in the crowd.

I can clearly remember foul-mouthed :censored:wits in the crowd back in Joe Royle's time. It didn't seem to hurt his team too much.

Given that we haven't played Chesterfield yet this season how did you manage that? Or are you planning an early departure this Saturday?

Quite, whichever side saw to Kelly. Missed Murphys goal but bar that it was a good decision.

Ah Peterborough was it? :censored: knows.

What the club need to realise is that all concerns "moans" raised on here is not just that of a few typical moaners. Its clear to see on this and a few other threads and other forms of social media there is a a lot of unhappy fans.

The majority of fans can agree that:

The way the club gave up on last season after LJ left made a lot of fans feel like our ultimate aim is league one survival.

The stand having multipule delays after fans expecting to be sat in there seat for the start of the season has pissed alot of people off. Delay after delay.

The Darren Kelly appointment and then quick dismisal, this after all us fans being told it was the best calibre of applicants under the current owners.

The dross servered up on the pitch, no intent, no passion, 2 wins in 16.

The whole of 2015 has been shocking, and without the opening of the new stand although late in my eyes would of been the worst under the current owners. Although am not sure to some that tge stand opening will change that.

Its been one complete fail after another.

If the club feel that there is only a real negativity issue with a minority of fans they are mistaken.

Its starting to feel like us and them.

What the club need to get better at is actually holding their hands up and admitting when they have ballsed up. Darren Kelly aside. We have just been expected to accept and be happy about all the other disasters.

Someone on here has mentioned that the club should arrange a meeting with all directors and fans in the new stand and outline futre plans for the club and how we are going to move forward. I can not tell you how much of a big impact this will have on the fans.

This club has great fans and we have all been there when the noise levels and passion in the stands is brilliant. Where you go home and you buzzing to be a blue. We travel in good numbers and and have shown time and time again our backing to the players.

The club do care am sure they do, holding a meeting like that could get more fans onside and lets be honest cant piss many more off.

What the club need to realise is that all concerns "moans" raised on here is not just that of a few typical moaners. Its clear to see on this and a few other threads and other forms of social media there is a a lot of unhappy fans.

The way the club gave up on last season after LJ left made a lot of fans feel like our ultimate aim is league one survival.

The stand having multipule delays after fans expecting to be sat in there seat for the start of the season has pissed alot of people off. Delay after delay.

The Darren Kelly appointment and then quick dismisal, this after all us fans being told it was the best calibre of applicants under the current owners.

The whole of 2015 has been shocking, and without the opening of the new stand although late in my eyes would of been the worst under the current owners. Although am not sure to some that tge stand opening will change that.

If the club feel that there is only a real negativity issue with a minority of fans they are mistaken.

What the club need to get better at is actually holding their hands up and admitting when they have ballsed up. Darren Kelly aside. We have just been expected to accept and be happy about all the other disasters.

Someone on here has mentioned that the club should arrange a meeting with all directors and fans in the new stand and outline futre plans for the club and how we are going to move forward. I can not tell you how much of a big impact this will have on the fans.

This club has great fans and we have all been there when the noise levels and passion in the stands is brilliant. Where you go home and you buzzing to be a blue. We travel in good numbers and and have shown time and time again our backing to the players.

The club do care am sure they do, holding a meeting like that could get more fans onside and lets be honest cant piss many more off.

Worded like this, how can anybody disagree?

Someone on here has mentioned that the club should arrange a meeting with all directors and fans in the new stand and outline futreplans for the club and how we are going to move forward. I can not tell you how much of a big impact this will have on the fans.

Worded like this, how can anybody disagree?

Captures the current mood quite succinctly - nice one Aarondo Westy.

I don't get this desire from some to be smooth talked time and time again by the club.

It isn't that long since you last went along for an intimate 1 on 1 hoodwinking is it?

I'd rather we just got 3 points on Saturday

I don't get this desire from some to be smooth talked time and time again by the club.

It isn't that long since you last went along for an intimate 1 on 1 hoodwinking is it?

I'd rather we just got 3 points on Saturday

Yes your right 4 of us went. Do you not agree that it would be a good move by the club to get as many fans as possible at an event in the new stand with ALL directors there outlining who they are and what they do and how they plan to move the club forward?

Yes your right 4 of us went. Do you not agree that it would be a good move by the club to get as many fans as possible at an event in the new stand with ALL directors there outlining who they are and what they do and how they plan to move the club forward?

There is no plan other than to sweat the assets, this is us for the next few years until they have clawed enough of their money back.

No.

Wgat would you suggest? Bearing in mind people are having a go at the way the club is run and the dross on the pitch.

What can the club do to maybe change peoples perceptions of the way its run? A few wins dosnt change the way its run so how do the club get fans onside?

Just for the record I am willin to back the club and accept it may take time to fix what has been a bad year.

Harry no direspect but I see you post alot on here alot of the time its quick digs at fellow fans without any suggestion of how to change things. What do suggest the club do to get fans back on side?

Your summary of why fans are fed up is a good one but I fully agree with deyres42, that this meet the manager/board type bollocks is just an empty bit of charm that sends the fans away feeling more positive while the club continues down exactly the same path it has for years, creeping ever closer to League 2.

Wgat would you suggest? Bearing in mind people are having a go at the way the club is run and the dross on the pitch.

What can the club do to maybe change peoples perceptions of the way its run? A few wins dosnt change the way its run so how do the club get fans onside?

Just for the record I am willin to back the club and accept it may take time to fix what has been a bad year.

Harry no direspect but I see you post alot on here alot of the time its quick digs at fellow fans without any suggestion of how to change things. What do suggest the club do to get fans back on side?

You asked me if I thought a meeting was a good idea.

I answered no.

I don't have to suggest something else to be able to answer no to your question.

Harry no direspect but I see you post alot on here alot of the time its quick digs at fellow fans without any suggestion of how to change things.

It's clearly important to you to "try to change things" and that's great. I hope you do. (I think?)

Different fans support the club in different ways though. Some want to get involved like you're trying to, most don't.

Not having a better suggestion (or any suggestion at all) doesn't invalidate someone's opinion that they think an idea is a bad one.

Most supporters aren't as inclined to "action" as you and you seem to struggle with that.

What do suggest the club do to get fans back on side?

Most fans, me included, will forget all our gripes if we get 4 points from Chesterfield & Barnsley and get past Mansfield.

I'd be perfectly happy to go along every week & see some decent (hopefully winning) football and never hear from, or need to hear from SC & friends....

Run the club quietly & competently and make the football we pay to watch enjoyable. Promotion isn't even essential to me anymore although a few weeks of hope here and there would be nice....

Edited by HarryBosch