Sack the board!

Don't post much on here but like to read everyday but I'm pissed off and miserable today!

If our average ticket price per person is around £16 (season tickets and kids) and we're averaging 4000 per home game over 23 games, makes around £1.5m.

If they made it £10 for everyone and gates therefore increased to 6500 they'd still roughly make the same. Add the extra revenue for things bought in the ground and club shop sales etc surely we'd have more of a budget to spend on decent players!

Hang on a minute that's too fecking obvious, that's too easy, that means we wouldn't be able to keep on doing the same thing we've been doing for years. We don't like change, we don't like being different. We enjoy screwing our fans over. We don't want to bring any pride back into the club. We love the fact there's no atmosphere. We don't even mind the team being :censored: but wait till the little b#st%^ds moan about it!

If I was running the club...

1.) Have a smaller squad...Brown, Murphy, Eckersley, Poleon, Yeates all stealing a living and not needed. Combine their wages and pay 1 guy worth having a decent wage. Too many players over the years have come here and clearly don't have the heart to play for us

2.) reduce ticket prices. £22 is never going to entice anyone. They'll look at the league position and results and think, I'm not paying £22 to watch that!

3.) advertise the club better...never see any signs or posters about upcoming games anywhere around Oldham.

4.) take out a massive loan and set up an academy worth having...nowhere near enough youth players come through into our first team. Create a mentality that players really want to get in the 1st team and stop these journeymen coming in using our club. If they're not good enough for other clubs in this league why should we keep taking them on? All the successful clubs are built on strong foundations and invest in their youth set ups.

All 4 things are obvious and fairly easy to do. The current board won't do it because they don't care.

The actual football club doesn't mean anything to them emotionally, so they are too frightened to take a risk and lose out. For me, the club is on a knife edge and these guys are in it up to their necks and won't tell the fans anything that's the truth. They're opportunists, they react when they see an opportunity to gamble with fans loyalty and hard earned money (north stand) and signing players that no one will touch (Evans) just to make a quick bit of money. All short termism and desperate!

Don't post much on here but like to read everyday but I'm pissed off and miserable today!

If our average ticket price per person is around £16 (season tickets and kids) and we're averaging 4000 per home game over 23 games, makes around £1.5m.

If they made it £10 for everyone and gates therefore increased to 6500 they'd still roughly make the same. Add the extra revenue for things bought in the ground and club shop sales etc surely we'd have more of a budget to spend on decent players!

Hang on a minute that's too fecking obvious, that's too easy, that means we wouldn't be able to keep on doing the same thing we've been doing for years. We don't like change, we don't like being different. We enjoy screwing our fans over. We don't want to bring any pride back into the club. We love the fact there's no atmosphere. We don't even mind the team being :censored: but wait till the little b#st%^ds moan about it!

If I was running the club...

1.) Have a smaller squad...Brown, Murphy, Eckersley, Poleon, Yeates all stealing a living and not needed. Combine their wages and pay 1 guy worth having a decent wage. Too many players over the years have come here and clearly don't have the heart to play for us

2.) reduce ticket prices. £22 is never going to entice anyone. They'll look at the league position and results and think, I'm not paying £22 to watch that!

3.) advertise the club better...never see any signs or posters about upcoming games anywhere around Oldham.

4.) take out a massive loan and set up an academy worth having...nowhere near enough youth players come through into our first team. Create a mentality that players really want to get in the 1st team and stop these journeymen coming in using our club. If they're not good enough for other clubs in this league why should we keep taking them on? All the successful clubs are built on strong foundations and invest in their youth set ups.

All 4 things are obvious and fairly easy to do. The current board won't do it because they don't care.

The actual football club doesn't mean anything to them emotionally, so they are too frightened to take a risk and lose out. For me, the club is on a knife edge and these guys are in it up to their necks and won't tell the fans anything that's the truth. They're opportunists, they react when they see an opportunity to gamble with fans loyalty and hard earned money (north stand) and signing players that no one will touch (Evans) just to make a quick bit of money. All short termism and desperate!

Can't agree I'm afraid.

Point 1) A arge squad is needed, but players have to be paid off if their contract is cancelled. This saves little money to bring in one so called good player (these sort of players don't always work out and we could be stuck with a big wage to pay).

Point 2) Reducing ticket prices to £10 won't bring in 6500 I'm afraid. Season ticket holders would have ever right to be annoyed at that.

Point 3) I agree with you on.

Point 4) It costs £250,000 to run the current youth scheme. We don't have the land available to go to the next level because I think 8 pitches are needed(not 100% sure on that, but I'm not far out). There's no guarantee better players could be found. Crewe are a good example of a team reliant on youth. It rarely works out for them.

Crowds wouldn't even come back at a tenner. The £5 game against Colchester only mustered 5600.

If we were to take a knock on admission prices I'd rather we just sacked off under 16 prices and hammered home free tickets to all the schools. It's the only chance we've got of snapping up the next generation of fans whilst city dominate everything in the prem

We'd lose a fortune and probably struggle to stay up more than we already do but at least we'd have a fuller stadium, a better atmosphere and a future.

The clubs dying a slow death the way it is at present.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

People see what bradford have done and think we can do the same. One is a city with a much bigger population and no real 'big' clubs around it.... The other is a town which is on the doorstep of 2 big clubs and only really has a hardcore set of fans to attract. Winning games with a very committed team is the only way our crowds will greatly increase, we're unfortunately as far away from this as we've been for a while.

I'm not convinced that the board don't care or that the building of the North Stand is a sign of 'gambling with the fans loyalty and hard earned money'.

Simon Corney and the board in general have made mistakes and have at times displayed an incredible naivety. What I would like to see is the new board members stepping up to the plate and starting to make a difference.

If we cut the squad we'd be in the :censored: when the injuries rolled in. We can't cut ticket prices because until we start offering something worth watching we won't cover costs. We'd have to take out a loan to rival the whole 3rd world debt to have an academy that would entice good youngsters here instead of bigger clubs. If you sack the board what happens? Who runs the club? Hopefully not you with ideas like that. Only point 3 can I agree with.

Corney saved the club, corney keeps it ticking over. I think he needs to put his foot down and tell managers to go for it in games. Then you may see crowds increase a bit and maybe have the opportunity to reduce ticket prices

Ah "Jumped The Shark"

I think this board just jumped the shark.

Thank you for that most informative post. I will see how many times I can get it into a conversation before the final whistle at Chesterfield. (I also have had to Google it to find out what the feck it referred to!!) :detectivegm0:

Alternatively, we might chuck a youth product in and the step up to first team football could be the making of him meaning we become a better team and get a decent transfer fee for him not too far down the line....

Set reserves back up and might not need as much of a step up

Agree Harry, I'm willing to bet a lot of young players have had unsuccessful loan spells and then gone on to have very successful careers at a higher level.

I feel like the only way we can truly test our young players is by giving them proper game time in the first team, not out on loan at Ramsbottom and not just for 10 minutes off the bench.

From memory, I can't remember whether Taylor, Eardley, Tarky, Winch have had loan spells and how they did if so?

Be interesting to hear BP1960's thoughts on this.

I know Lafferty was good, but what was wrong with giving Truelove a chance when Mills got injured?

These are the situations where we are showing absolutely no confidence whatsoever in our young players, it's almost pointless giving them contracts.

The board & managment (inc previous) seem to have this thing that Boundary Park is a cauldron of pressure for Oldham players. I agree at times the atmos isnt good but thats their own fault & their are worse places to work

Could this mindset have a baring on our youngsters beeing picked?

I know Lafferty was good, but what was wrong with giving Truelove a chance when Mills got injured?

These are the situations where we are showing absolutely no confidence whatsoever in our young players, it's almost pointless giving them contracts.

I imagine Truelove has been training with the 1st team quite a bit so Dunn would've known if he was up to the job or not. You don't want to chuck a youth team player in too soon.......

I imagine Truelove has been training with the 1st team quite a bit so Dunn would've known if he was up to the job or not. You don't want to chuck a youth team player in too soon.......

You can't truly know until you've played them in real games against real players....

The problem can be we usually get loanees with little or no experience of senior football and they find the physicality hard to apapt to.

Even if not initially successful at their first loan club the experience can be invaluable. We saw this for example with Harry Bunn who is now playing in the Championship.

As for our own it can work the same way as with Chris Taylor to Barrow.

I would prefer the old system of reserve Central leagues where youth and older players could combine and I think even Premiership clubs are moving this way as under 21 devopment squads aren't preparing players for the real world.

Rasulo has some experience of going out on loan before, this is why I'm hopeful of him doing well.

Edited by BP1960