Get Real

Brilliant haha!

What I was merely getting at was it didn't have a negative impact on the players nor the togetherness of the players and fans (easily shown by the way they responded to celebrating with the fans after the second goal)

We or well I don't ask for much at all from Latics, in fact I ask for very little! Effort is a must for me, other than 1 maybe 2 halves of football this season we haven't lost or suffered from lack of effort and I ask for an Oldham team to have a go...not to win, not even to score but to make us feel like we have got a chance and make me get off my seat once in a while and this season there has been two games we have deserved to win which we did go on to win (wasn't at Bradford at home or Gills away so can't comment)

As for the tactics side of things we are obviously too negative, don't have a clue how to break a team down if they go in front, more so at home than away! This frustrates fans no end and to say that we have not looked like scoring since Swindon away is an understatement

330 minutes (give and take) Oldham went without looking like scoring a goal, let alone actually scoring one and after the first half the 454 supporters had to witness (more so in the stand than on the pitch) we needed something to cheer us all up and get a better feel in the second half and we felt a weak 20 yard effort from Winchester to Tommy Lee's hands warranted a bit of a cheer considering we had had one shot that I had seen (watched very little first half) which was a Mills free kick that went further wide of the goal than where he actually took the free kick from.

This got supporters on side and 'let's pretend we scored a goal' got positive and supportive songs such as OWTB and SUPER OLDHAM going after it which most of the stand were joining in with.

Also at the end I didn't hear any sarcastic chanting? Maybe due to Oldham actually having a go?

Dunn is the one that needs to get real not fans...if we expected to win and expected to be top 6 every season we would be beside ourselves by now!

Twice in 19 years yet Dunn thinks we expect success? Really?

We expect basically nothing so he's the one who needs to get real and instead of having a go at supporters for 'sarcastic chants' after a good away win, maybe say 'this is the start and I hope the fans will stick with us'

Doesn't matter if he thinks it or even hints it, word it differently, in a way fans will accept it.

Just a couple of last points:

- Dunn thinks there is too much expectation amongst fans...fine but he can't come out and contradict that and get expectations rising when stating 'It took Joe Royle 8 years, I fancy doing it slightly quicker than that'

- Dunn asks all the club to pull together including fans...yet states his disappointment to them after a first goal in ages and 4th win in 30 games?

All a bit contradictory!

This sounds like I don't like Dunn, couldn't be far from the truth. I am a David Dunn supporter but I think saying things, more in the manner he has and the way he's put it than the detail behind it is silly and is disappointing from a fan's point of view who has missed 2 games in 3 seasons

Just remember before saying things Dunn, we (the fans) are the club! We pay our money, most of the time extremely supportive

We were here before you were Dunn and we'll still be here after you've gone!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant haha!

What I was merely getting at was it didn't have a negative impact on the players nor the togetherness of the players and fans (easily shown by the way they responded to celebrating with the fans after the second goal)

We or well I don't ask for much at all from Latics, in fact I ask for very little! Effort is a must for me, other than 1 maybe 2 halves of football this season we haven't lost or suffered from lack of effort and I ask for an Oldham team to have a go...not to win, not even to score but to make us feel like we have got a chance and make me get off my seat once in a while and this season there has been two games we have deserved to win which we did go on to win (wasn't at Bradford at home or Gills away so can't comment)

As for the tactics side of things we are obviously too negative, don't have a clue how to break a team down if they go in front, more so at home than away! This frustrates fans no end and to say that we have not looked like scoring since Swindon away is an understatement

330 minutes (give and take) Oldham went without looking like scoring a goal, let alone actually scoring one and after the first half the 454 supporters had to witness (more so in the stand than on the pitch) we needed something to cheer us all up and get a better feel in the second half and we felt a weak 20 yard effort from Winchester to Tommy Lee's hands warranted a bit of a cheer considering we had had one shot that I had seen (watched very little first half) which was a Mills free kick that went further wide of the goal than where he actually took the free kick from.

This got supporters on side and 'let's pretend we scored a goal' got positive and supportive songs such as OWTB and SUPER OLDHAM going after it which most of the stand were joining in with.

Also at the end I didn't hear any sarcastic chanting? Maybe due to Oldham actually having a go?

Dunn is the one that needs to get real not fans...if we expected to win and expected to be top 6 every season we would be beside ourselves by now!

Twice in 19 years yet Dunn thinks we expect success? Really?

We expect basically nothing so he's the one who needs to get real and instead of having a go at supporters for 'sarcastic chants' after a good away win, maybe say 'this is the start and I hope the fans will stick with us'

Doesn't matter if he thinks it or even hints it, word it differently, in a way fans will accept it.

Just a couple of last points:

- Dunn thinks there is too much expectation amongst fans...fine but he can't come out and contradict that and get expectations rising when stating 'It took Joe Royle 8 years, I fancy doing it slightly quicker than that'

- Dunn asks all the club to pull together including fans...yet states his disappointment to them after a first goal in ages and 4th win in 30 games?

All a bit contradictory!

This sounds like I don't like Dunn, couldn't be far from the truth. I am a David Dunn supporter but I think saying things, more in the manner he has and the way he's put it than the detail behind it is silly and is disappointing from a fan's point of view who has missed 2 games in 3 seasons

Just remember before saying things Dunn, we (the fans) are the club! We pay our money, most of the time extremely supportive

We were here before you were Dunn and we'll still be here after you've gone!

Cba reading that

Also, with famous name comes ego and there certainly is a bit of that in his comments. Then again, we all would rather have a big name than a nobody...

The bloke got one cap. It's not as if we managed to attract some kind of global superstar to the club.

The bloke got one cap. It's not as if we managed to attract some kind of global superstar to the club.

but he's got unbelieveable tekkers...oh, wait....he was the other one...some tekkers are bad.

I'm always mindful of Joe's early years. We got beat 4-3 (i think) in a cup game against Bolton. Frustrating, but no one was bored. No one booed. Everyone i knew thought it was great entertainment.

As a player he was a was a huge coup (if only he'd only signed as a player)

As a "name" manager he was a step up from what Johnson was when he came but a step down from Dickov in terms of the playing career they were finishing...

As a "name" manager he was a step up from what Johnson was when he came but a step down from Dickov in terms of the playing career they were finishing...

Really?

Dunn was a miles better player than Dickov, commanded higher transfer fees and got an international cap during the peak period for midfielders this country has probably ever seen. Won a domestic trophy, too. Spent almost all his career in the top league.

Anyway, from his perspective, he probably sees himself as a coup for this club.

Edited by NewBlue

Really?

Dunn was a miles better player than Dickov, commanded higher transfer fees and got an international cap during the peak period for midfielders this country has probably ever seen. Won a domestic trophy, too. Spent almost all his career in the top league.

Anyway, from his perspective, he probably sees himself as a coup for this club.

I agree Dunn was the better player but, without checking, I would have thought DIckov played more games at the top level and possibly won a bit more and had a "higher standing" in the game among fellow pro's/managers/pundits....?

Dickov

Arsenal

Manchester City

Leicester City

Leeds United

Dunn

Blackburn Rovers

Dickov

Arsenal

Manchester City

Leicester City

Leeds United

Dunn

Blackburn Rovers

I'm not landing either side of the fence, but I'm sure you can see the hole in your argument :wink:

As a player he APPEARED to be a huge coup, Unfortunately he turned out to be a lard arsed has been,

I'm always mindful of Joe's early years. We got beat 4-3 (i think) in a cup game against Bolton. Frustrating, but no one was bored. No one booed. Everyone i knew thought it was great entertainment.

...I'm reliably led to believe that there was a period between Royle's 2nd and 4th seasons, where voices were dissenting. Royle employed tactics that he referred to as 'condensing the field', which made for what some believe was a poor spectacle... it's important not to review everything through rose tinted glasses, albeit that is hard given some of the entertainment Royle later served up.... I wrote this shortly after MK Dons walloped us last season and much of it is still relevant.... http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php/topic/46441-can-we-use-the-past-the-inform-the-future/?view=findpost&p=748608