Get Real

I suppose all the sarcastic fans can stay at home with the 1%, who we gonna blame then? Maybe tge happy clappers for clapping so much it makes our precious flowers all nervous.

From the reports I've heard the first 70 minutes were dire and up until the goal we had gone around six hours without looking like scoring, thank the lord Tommy Lee was in a charitable mood otherwise the team would of received a hell off a lot more stick than a couple of sarcastic chants.

Just wait till Mansfield beat us...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only clause is that if he asks the fans for time and patience, that if all goes well and he is the next messiah then he doesn't jump ship quicker than another egotist we all know...

Plus, the bit where he says 'I don't think they realise how much we want to win':

Well show it on the pitch, because it honestly hasn't looked that way. You have to back up your rhetoric with visible measures.

Edited by NewBlue

I love a moan and admit to booing the team off at Mansfield, but I like this from Dunn

Rather have this - direct & straight to the point than for example Kelly talk about how great the atmosphere is at home games playing to the fans when it's completely Dead the majority of the time.

I always thought the "lets pretend we scored a goal chant" was meant as a bit of a laugh - think it was started off at Forest, when we actually got a pretty decent 0-0 draw. I don't think the fans singing it is something Dunn should have time to worry about.

Glad he's showing a bit of passion but this is the second dig at the fans he's made through the media already. I don't doubt the team and management are "working their socks off", but so do a lot of the fans during the week to ensure they can afford to watch some pretty abject performances from Dunn's team in recent weeks.

The Joe Royle comparison was also obviously tongue in cheek, by the way..

I suppose all the sarcastic fans can stay at home with the 1%, who we gonna blame then? Maybe tge happy clappers for clapping so much it makes our precious flowers all nervous.

From the reports I've heard the first 70 minutes were dire and up until the goal we had gone around six hours without looking like scoring, thank the lord Tommy Lee was in a charitable mood otherwise the team would of received a hell off a lot more stick than a couple of sarcastic chants.

I have not joined in the booing when the performance has been dire - I show my displeasure by walking away without applauding at full-time.

On Saturday the same old abysmal performance was on show for about 70 minutes and, apart from all the usual mistakes, it was illustrated farcically by a Mills' free-kick in a good position that he fluffed out of play nowhere near the goal, and a foul throw-in when in another good position - they would have been funny if not so embarrassing!

There was a total absence of anything to get Latics fans interested, but The Athleticos continued their valiant efforts. The sarcastic chanting was the fans making the most of a bad run in their own inimitable amusing way. It raised a laugh and was light-relief for the traveling supporters, particularly with the sombre mood created by the supporter's heart attack.

I was convinced at the time that the sarcastic chanting did the trick and produced the desired response from the players - perhaps it reminded them what the supporters sound like when a goal is scored. Rasulo made a difference, but the rest of them pulled their fingers out and were rewarded with a fantastic reaction from the traveling support not only for the winner, but even for the equaliser.

The support at away games has often been lauded, and I think DD has misjudged what this was about. After the Mansfield game he said words to the effect that the booing was justified by paying customers. What is needed are more opportunities for the fans' spirits to be lifted. Surely he and the players must realise that, so it's up them to do something about it.

I always thought the "lets pretend we scored a goal chant" was meant as a bit of a laugh - think it was started off at Forest, when we actually got a pretty decent 0-0 draw. I don't think the fans singing it is something Dunn should have time to worry about.

I was thinking that. It was freezing cold and the football had been making the current lot look world beaters. We need to make our own entertainment. It can cross a line but cheering the first shot in hours might be part genuine...

I was thinking that. It was freezing cold and the football had been making the current lot look world beaters. We need to make our own entertainment. It can cross a line but cheering the first shot in hours might be part genuine...

.....it was probably all genuine in fact.... no-one [that I could hear at least] was being vitriolic as such.... you just know it doesn't give off positive vibes to the players and staff - whether you consider that fair given their largely abject performance or not - and they all can hear it crystal clear.

I think a lot of you are being very fair with Dunn.

Personally I think it's a disgrace what he said.

How has he earnt the right to come out with that diatribe after twelve games in charge of us?? If I'm a dale fan an Keith Hill says it, I'll swallow it a bit more because he's got us two promotions- but Dunn???

They say teams reflect there managers- and this team under Dunn look flat, negative, and uninspiring- tho polar opposite of how he claims he sends his teams out. And guess what the above qualities are nothing to do with a budget, there about his ability to motivate and have a modicum of tactical awareness. I am so sick of the budget argument from mangers, don't they know the size of club there applying for? The minute they feel pressure or fans DARE to criticise, they immeadiatley feel the need to 'educate' us about the constraints of the job, totally neglecting to mention that we've got a large squad, and he's already been allowed to sign numerous players in addition.

How patronising to infer we haven't moved on in 20 years. I don't expect promotion, I don't expect top 6. I don't think the vast, vast majority expect that from a rookie manager at a struggling club. So wI just wanted to let you know we're doing our monlogues next week. Why turn up if you know you probably won't go up? For me it's the HOPE that we might finish Top half with a sense that we're trying to play, and we're going to get at teams - ESPECIALLY at home. Is that honestly to much to expect??

I don't think Critism is ever going to get the best out of the players. I fume privately, but wouldn't shout at the players, BUT if other fans want to, that's their choice- the point is Dunn should be above that. Let results and performances do his talking, and have a bit of class. Instead he chooses to throw his toys out, and make himself sound like a petulant little boy. He blames everything bar himself.

Newsflash Dave.

We're fed up because under your tenture we're poor in most games most of the time. But, but. he's only had 10 games. . More than enough time to give us one 90 minute performance surely?? Added to the fact we're watching the same game on a loop every week, you might start to understand our frustration.

This isn't even about results- I accept he's learning- I'll accept the same game on a loop. I'll accept 1 win at home, but do us a favour Dave try an sort you own house out before you blame the rest of us.

I think a lot of you are being very fair with Dunn.

Personally I think it's a disgrace what he said.

How has he earnt the right to come out with that diatribe after twelve games in charge of us?? If I'm a dale fan an Keith Hill says it, I'll swallow it a bit more because he's got us two promotions- but Dunn???

They say teams reflect there managers- and this team under Dunn look flat, negative, and uninspiring- tho polar opposite of how he claims he sends his teams out. And guess what the above qualities are nothing to do with a budget, there about his ability to motivate and have a modicum of tactical awareness. I am so sick of the budget argument from mangers, don't they know the size of club there applying for? The minute they feel pressure or fans DARE to criticise, they immeadiatley feel the need to 'educate' us about the constraints of the job, totally neglecting to mention that we've got a large squad, and he's already been allowed to sign numerous players in addition.

How patronising to infer we haven't moved on in 20 years. I don't expect promotion, I don't expect top 6. I don't think the vast, vast majority expect that from a rookie manager at a struggling club. So wI just wanted to let you know we're doing our monlogues next week. Why turn up if you know you probably won't go up? For me it's the HOPE that we might finish Top half with a sense that we're trying to play, and we're going to get at teams - ESPECIALLY at home. Is that honestly to much to expect??

I don't think Critism is ever going to get the best out of the players. I fume privately, but wouldn't shout at the players, BUT if other fans want to, that's their choice- the point is Dunn should be above that. Let results and performances do his talking, and have a bit of class. Instead he chooses to throw his toys out, and make himself sound like a petulant little boy. He blames everything bar himself.

Newsflash Dave.

We're fed up because under your tenture we're poor in most games most of the time. But, but. he's only had 10 games. . More than enough time to give us one 90 minute performance surely?? Added to the fact we're watching the same game on a loop every week, you might start to understand our frustration.

This isn't even about results- I accept he's learning- I'll accept the same game on a loop. I'll accept 1 win at home, but do us a favour Dave try an sort you own house out before you blame the rest of us.

Just this

It's a two-way street. Fans have their right, and I think it's perfectly acceptable for Dunn to say his piece.

His first job in management, of course he's going to want more positivity than is emitted from the stands. It is not his fault that the majority of the past few years have sent glass eyes to sleep with little results. (Clifford is right: the home atmosphere at BP is absolutely :censored:e, and has been for years)

On the other hand, there's a reason for that; he's got to send his team out with substance or else he can have no complaints about negativity. In time I believe he will. I absolutely hate it, but if he thinks defensive football is the best way to get results with this bunch then so be it...

I think he held a decent balance in that interview, and I like that he cares enough to say it.

Im glad he said something but he's gone too far with the way in which he's put his point across. The atmosphere at times this season, home and away, has been nothing short of toxic. It's horrible at times to be a fellow supporter sat in the stands. Vile personal abuse of individual players, sarcastic chanting (Saturday wasn't a one-off), ironic cheers when a player has a shot or passes forwards and celebrating the current boo boy being taken off. Does this transfer to the players? Of course it does. It may have galvanised them on Saturday but it isn't the way to support our club.

From this angle I don't mind Dunn having his 'say' and some of the comments made are fair game.

However, to some extent the argument that the 'abuse' and toxic environment is merited is a fair one. The football has been poor and clearly we need and expect to see much more attacking intent. Dunn hasn't acknowledged this at all in his interview and it just comes across by the end as a nasty condescending dig at the people who pay £22 week in week out. Suggesting our knowledge of football and expectations comes from a computer game is a cheap shot and the recurring theme of Dave and previous managers harping on back to the past 20yrs and the budget is becoming tiresome.

I watched Dunn on 'Goals on Sunday' when Warnock mentioned that Oldham fans "think they know everything about football" and this interview sounds like he has taken Warnock's advise on board.

I pray he realises the style of football is the cause of the atmosphere and makes some effort to change things up, even if it's just giving Dom more support or throwing Rasulo in.

As a fan I don't feel that my £22 gives me the right to direct verbal abuse at players, who no doubt thrive on confidence, and I never would. It would be great to hear positive constructive voices from the paddock. Except towards that little judas. Give him all the stick we can come 3pm Saturday.

Edited by eyres_28

The football obviously is a cause, and so is the culmination of history of the past few years, but that Peterborough atmosphere was so vitriolic - aimed totally and unfairly at the wrong target - that his opinion about our fans may have formed there and then.

Himself and several others, including Corney, deserved dogs abuse that day - they were a disgrace - but the manager didn't, and maybe it's moulded his view on how he will be treated if he goes the Kelly appeasement way.

Also, with famous name comes ego and there certainly is a bit of that in his comments. Then again, we all would rather have a big name than a nobody...