Get Real

Oh dear - another week, another Chron story which will cause a 'healthy' debate...

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/9/sport-news/95208/get-real?

"“I can’t fault them (the fans) — they come away and at home they turn up every week. And I am sure there hasn’t been much to cheer about in recent weeks.

“But I think we need to pull together now. It is an important time for us and a new beginning for a young manager and young coaches. We are really enthusiastic about the club and we want to do well.

“It might be a minority out there who play on their computers, who may win a couple of leagues on there and think that this is easy-peasy. I can assure you it is not.

“I hate to mention budgets, but we are coming across clubs who have three, four, up to 10 times our budget. It does matter.

“We are batting way above what we should do at times. Where have we finished in the last couple of years, 15th? So why is the expectation we should be winning the league every year? I don’t get it.

“We need to all stick together as a club. One thing is for sure, we are working our socks off every day and I wish people could really see that.

“It does irritate me at times. People don’t see it and think they can come on a Saturday and take the mickey out of us.

“I don’t think they realise how much we want to win. Of course we will have ups and downs at the club, because we are where we are.”"

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit rich from someone who has won 2 games though?

...maybe, but he's in his first managerial job, having inherited a shambles following the poor decision to give Darren Kelly the job, and he's trying to get us going.... what he, his staff and his players want from us is a bit of patience and support, instead of making his job harder. It's already hard enough.

I was at Chesterfield on Saturday and said to my mate next to me - when the 'lets pretend we've scored a goal' chants began - that this serves no-one well. I understand the frustration however.... we had a reasonably settled core of a side to build on over the summer, that with one or two decent additions and the new stand opening on time was ripe for building some positivity.... and we ballsed it up.

Now, let's try and put that behind us if we can, get behind the lads and see if we can't get through to the 3rd round of the FA Cup and laugh at Johnson getting fired after we stuff Barnsley.

Edited by lookersstandandy

I quite liked what he said.

It'd annoy me if I was manager too. It is counter-productive. I'd still sing it, like, but I can appreciate what he said and having the bollocks to say it.

That line about I'll turn it round quicker than Royle endeared me to him and quickly ameliorated the rest of the reality stuff - the stuff Corney and Owen never add a clause to.

He sounds passionate, and that's really all we can judge him on at the moment.

I genuinely thought that was an interview with Simon Corney.

So, anything above 15th is an achievement? Can't beat a bit of ambition.

& I wonder how Gillingham's budget compares to ours.

...but he says he' fancies getting us going.... one assumes that means competing at the top of the league we're in.... he ain't gonna do after 3 months though is he.

I think he is completely right in what he is saying. The only way we a going to get out of this division is through the play offs and that will be a push.

It gets me when people start with sarcastic chants and constant abuse of players when we have the ball, they can't score when we have the ball, so god knows how it gets to him and the players. Everywhere we go we always get told how good our fans are so if we get behind the team it should act to encourage and motivate the player, this should not be necessary I agree but their at league one for a reason.

Dunn's in his first management job with fairly inexperienced coaches, a low budget and a squad that he's inherited. I don't think we can really judge him until February when he's had a full transfer window behind him to get his own players in and offload some that he seems to be excess. He just needs to be given time.

Admittedly, we have to give Dunn time and it won't happen overnight. Joe Royle was here 12 years, and it was 7 years before we had any meaningful success. Our loyalty to him and his to us led ultimately to the greatest ever period in our history.

He had several job offers during the early nineties but chose to stay with us.....The thing is..........If Dunn manages to get us up into the playoffs by the end of this or next season will he jump ship at the first opportunity?

He needed to get it off his chest - just like some misguided fans with zero motivational skills think sarcasm will improve performance. I don't think Dunne should have taken the bait. The vast majority of fans denounce derogatory chants towards their team and the bone heads won't take any notice or could even get worse.

It'd annoy me if I was manager too. It is counter-productive. I'd still sing it, like, but I can appreciate what he said and having the bollocks to say it.

That line about I'll turn it round quicker than Royle endeared me to him and quickly ameliorated the rest of the reality stuff - the stuff Corney and Owen never add a clause to.

I think it's fair to judge him on performances and results so far though.

That said, it's early days, and he needs to let the talking be done on the pitch. He needs to concentrate on that, the fans will get on side when that improves. Earn rather than command respect.

Easy for Dunn to say but he hasn't watched the last 20 years in this league.

Fans are reaching breaking point not just because we have won only 4 games at home in 12 months but the style of boring

backward football we have served up,

The first hour on Saturday was dire and the fans were entitled to sing how they felt.

Yes it did change after the subs and it ended up a good win but if you don't want the fans to be negative then don't play negative football.

I have been a S/T holder for over 40 years and am currently at the stage of asking myself - WHY ???

You do your job Dunn and the supporters will do their's.

THe line about turning it round quicker than Royle is a ridiculous thing to say, and sets himself up for a fall. He's turned it round for 35 minutes, in his 10th game trying. To me, it makes hims look a dick head, and a little disrespectful.

Cheap talk gets you nowhere fast.

He needs to do his taking on the pitch, and for a sustained period of time.

I really hope he does.

Edited by singe

...maybe, but he's in his first managerial job, having inherited a shambles following the poor decision to give Darren Kelly the job, and he's trying to get us going.... what he, his staff and his players want from us is a bit of patience and support, instead of making his job harder. It's already hard enough.

I was at Chesterfield on Saturday and said to my mate next to me - when the 'lets pretend we've scored a goal' chants began - that this serves no-one well. I understand the frustration however.... we had a reasonably settled core of a side to build on over the summer, that with one or two decent additions and the new stand opening on time was ripe for building some positivity.... and we ballsed it up.

Now, let's try and put that behind us if we can, get behind the lads and see if we can't get through to the 3rd round of the FA Cup and laugh at Johnson getting fired after we stuff Barnsley.

Granted Kelly was a poor decision. But it was a sqaud we all thought needed a couple of additions to, and Johnson had got sniffing at the play offs.

Some things are going better, Rasulo looks useful, but it is a small cameo part not a sustained period. Lets get a couple of wins under our belt.

can someone tell me whats changed in the last 20 years?

because its not the division, or the winning football...

the average crowd? that changed! it went down

I agree with what hes trying to say but like Corney he may need to think more before he actually says it.

It's very contradictory.

Tell the fans to stop being negative and to rid us of that environment, but then talk about how we shouldn't expect to be anywhere near the top.

He's more media savvy than I thought, justifying our current position by basically saying this is where we always finish and we have no money, a really positive attitude from the manager.

Whether you think what he's saying is right or wrong, I wish he'd just shut up and focus on winning games, instead of using the same, tired old excuses.

I suppose all the sarcastic fans can stay at home with the 1%, who we gonna blame then? Maybe tge happy clappers for clapping so much it makes our precious flowers all nervous.

From the reports I've heard the first 70 minutes were dire and up until the goal we had gone around six hours without looking like scoring, thank the lord Tommy Lee was in a charitable mood otherwise the team would of received a hell off a lot more stick than a couple of sarcastic chants.

THe line about turning it round quicker than Royle is a ridiculous thing to say, and sets himself up for a fall. He's turned it round for 35 minutes, in his 10th game trying. To me, it makes hims look a dick head, and a little disrespectful.

Cheap talk gets you nowhere fast.

He needs to do his taking on the pitch, and for a sustained period of time.

I really hope he does.

I know but #1 it implies he is going yo hang around if we do well (I won't be resting on that though) #2 he's a winner and he doesn't accept we have to be in this rut forever ie. more ambition than the Chairman.