Young Managers getting a start.

Simon Corney has spoken previously about how we at Oldham like to give young managers a chance. Some say it's the cheap option +it obviously is) He seems set on this approach as his last 4 managers (plus one temporary for more than a few games) have never managed before but how successful has this approach been in the last few years?

Paul Dickov (sacked) currently out of work

Lee Johnson (sold) currently sit below Oldham

Darren Kelly (sacked after 6 games & recently sacked by Halifax

Dean Holden still here helping to over see the :censored:e presented for the last 12 months

Prior to this this we had John Sheridan (now at Newport) Arguably the most successful manager under Corney. But Owen helped put pay to this by helping signing Hughes & things eventually went to the dogs! Owen struck again during Johnson's reign with you know who.

We had experience managers in Talbot & Penny both of whom are no longer working in league management.

What have any of them produced for Oldham? Not one of them have gone on to better things. Shez had a trip to Wembley & a league 2 promotion but never stepped up a level

David Dunn (interim boss, got the job full time on the back of 0 wins)

He doesn't talk a good game, he doesn't set up to entertain, we don't score goals, we hardly create chances. Is he going to turn it round? After 12 games I can't see it at all not on his own..

Every one of those managers also had an inexperienced assistant. Dunn has 2, No old heads to offer advice,Could this be the answer? No point in sacking Dunn for another player looking to get a job just as they retire...

We have had experience managers in Talbot & Penny both of whom are no longer working in league management. Experience doesnt guraentee success but you have to give yourself the best chance.

Something within the recruitment process has to change & very soon & ffs leave Barry out of it & away from parole hearings!

Edited by palmer1

Looking through the managers in the top two divisons, only 12 of the 44 started out in League One (or equivalent) and below.

Excluding the dinosaurs who have worked their way up a long while back (Allardyce, Pardew, Pulis) and the caretaker (Warnock) leaves 8.

Martinez, Grayson, Jackett, Evans, Cotterill and Lambert all got into the Championship by winning promotion from League One.

Which leaves only Rowett and Slade as managers in the top flight who have secured 'better jobs' in a higher division. And only Rowett as a novice manager who would have met Corney's selection criteria.

Looking through the managers in the top two divisons, only 12 of the 44 started out in League One (or equivalent) and below.

Excluding the dinosaurs who have worked their way up a long while back (Allardyce, Pardew, Pulis) and the caretaker (Warnock) leaves 8.

Martinez, Grayson, Jackett, Evans, Cotterill and Lambert all got into the Championship by winning promotion from League One.

Which leaves only Rowett and Slade as managers in the top flight who have secured 'better jobs' in a higher division. And only Rowett as a novice manager who would have met Corney's selection criteria.

Interesting analysis.

Clearly there is no template for a manager. But there has to be one for doing a better job than we have!

In recent years Dowie (albeit funded heavily compared to others in the post) is probably another of our successful managers. Started off with an experienced hand nearby as assistant to Wadsworth.

Made the point on another thread - I could live with DD as an appointment if we put an experienced hand beside him.

In recent years Dowie (albeit funded heavily compared to others in the post) is probably another of our successful managers. Started off with an experienced hand nearby as assistant to Wadsworth.

Made the point on another thread - I could live with DD as an appointment if we put an experienced hand beside him.

I seem to remember Dowie brought in some physically strong players, is that the answer in this division?

I seem to remember Dowie brought in some physically strong players, is that the answer in this division?

We seem to be physically dominated quite often so it couldnt hurt. Many of the oppo dwarf our players & I think its the main reason not many of our youngsters are progressing, they are all tiny.

Edited by palmer1

He probably was then...

Brooke was in superb pre season form & was on course to start the season as first choice striker until that :censored: Preston keeper played the man instead of the ball breaking Brookes leg. He never recovered...

Edited by palmer1

He probably was then...

Brooke was in superb pre season form & was on course to start the season as first choice striker until that :censored: Preston keeper played the man instead of the ball breaking Brookes leg. He never recovered...

He scored 2 for high flying Curzon Ashton last match.

You wouldn't want to come here as a rookie manager, fanbase expects you to have all the answers from the moment you walk in the door...

Really?

Dickov and Johnson ultimately did nothing in their first seasons (or beyond) and had plenty of teething problems - the difference was (even though it didn't work straight away, if ever) we could see what they were trying to do, liked it & bought into it.

Really?

Dickov and Johnson ultimately did nothing in their first seasons (or beyond) and had plenty of teething problems - the difference was (even though it didn't work straight away, if ever) we could see what they were trying to do, liked it & bought into it.

I was being cheeky but I think they benefitted somewhat from starting with low expectations, Dunn hasn't had that luxury.

I was being cheeky but I think they benefitted somewhat from starting with low expectations, Dunn hasn't had that luxury.

I don't think there's been high expectations of Dunn. Stop playing insipid football and win a home game or two. It's hardly a tall order.

Why can't we just have an experienced hand full stop! Why employ two to do the same job?

Our three most successful post war managers were rookies. Different times but it's the man not necessarily the experience I believe.

Hardwick, Frizzell, Royle

Again absolutely right...

Maybe it's the fact that none of those had to take a football by numbers course to earn a little badge that allows them all to play the same formation. All 3 of those mentioned had their own ideas based off their own experiences.

Edited by palmer1