do you back corney?

support for corney   

174 members have voted

1. 1. which best describes your level of support for corney

• fully support him. he saved the club and has the best interests of it at heart
    • he's made mistakes but he's one of us and I trust him to make the right choices to pull us out of this
    • no opinion
    • my support is wavering. his decisions this past year have been questionable at best
    • the guy can do one for me regardless of consequences. cock up after cock up and only in it for himself and brass bank
    • I don't rate him and want him gone but am willing to sit it out till we find a suitable backer

If we did a Stockport what crowds would we get? I still reckon 2-3000.

More I reckon. Stockport's and Tranmere's crowds are referenced on here regularly. If we were forced into a siege mentality, I think it'd be surprising how many people actuality give a :censored:.

It's the monotony of 19 years League 1 that makes us look like a unsupported club. Backs against the wall, despite the obvious long term risk, people would come out in numbers.

It's another Corney legacy that's started to be believed about us being a :censored: club punching above our weight. So often overlooked that we're as badly supported under as we ever have been under his regime.

Edited by longtimeblue

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't doubt his intentions. If he didn't want what's best for the club he could've easily jumped ship by now and it's not as though he hasn't backed Dunn transfer wise.

But the decision making of the board this calendar year has been terrible and while there seems to be others around him who aren't competent, the buck stops with him.

While I'm not a fan of sacking managers constantly during the season, the first step for Corney would be to realise that the current managers job is not one for a rookie. So getting a proven* and competent manager in to save the season would be a step in the right direction.

*Proven doesn't mean wall-to-wall success, but someone who has a clear identity and knows how to make a squad fully functional. A lower league Allardyce if you will.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

'He can do one regardless of the consequences' 31 votes.

You complain about Corney but do you as fans actualky have the best interest of the club at heart? Clearly not or you would actually give a :censored: what happens to the club.

'Regardless of the consequences' could mean no more Oldham Athletic!

He has made wrong choices in regards to managers this season & the last 18 months have not been good but be careful what you wish for!

If he walks away tomorrow and leaves us right in the :censored: you will be the first to condemn him for it...

How many games does corney attend these days? Last time I know of him being there was Peterborough. I'm sure the main stand will make everyone else aware next time he's there

He's in for a lot of flack when he does bother to show his face

Out of interest though, why not want him out but only with a stable hand-over (i.e. the last option)?

Not sure if I understand your question but I take it you mean why am I not willing to wait for him to sell to the respectable person he apparently wants to find?

It's simple really. It's a pipe dream. He isn't willing to sell for the current market value and nobody will pay his asking price. It's catch 22 and all the while this stand off continues we continue down :censored: Creek with no paddle.

More I reckon. Stockport's and Tranmere's crowds are referenced on here regularly. If we were forced into a siege mentality, I think it'd be surprising how many people actuality give a :censored:.

It's the monotony of 19 years League 1 that makes us look like a unsupported club. Backs against the wall, despite the obvious long term risk, people would come out in numbers.

It's another Corney legacy that's started to be believed about us being a :censored: club punching above our weight. So often overlooked that we're as badly supported under as we ever have been under his regime.

The thing is we're all stuck with our clubs, there's no getting out once you're in and just like us you'll stick with it. Having said that you're nowhere near dropping to our level and if you did drop a level I reckon you'd bounce back relatively quickly.

I don't doubt his intentions. If he didn't want what's best for the club he could've easily jumped ship by now and it's not as though he hasn't backed Dunn transfer wise.

But the decision making of the board this calendar year has been terrible and while there seems to be others around him who aren't competent, the buck stops with him.

While I'm not a fan of sacking managers constantly during the season, the first step for Corney would be to realise that the current managers job is not one for a rookie. So getting a proven* and competent manager in to save the season would be a step in the right direction.

*Proven doesn't mean wall-to-wall success, but someone who has a clear identity and knows how to make a squad fully functional. A lower league Allardyce if you will.

Well said.

'He can do one regardless of the consequences' 31 votes.

You complain about Corney but do you as fans actualky have the best interest of the club at heart? Clearly not or you would actually give a :censored: what happens to the club.

'Regardless of the consequences' could mean no more Oldham Athletic!

He has made wrong choices in regards to managers this season & the last 18 months have not been good but be careful what you wish for!

If he walks away tomorrow and leaves us right in the :censored: you will be the first to condemn him for it...

Spot on. The outcry would be huge.

I'd be hacked off even of he sold it to the Trust for free. A fans group would have no money and we'd sink like a stone.

The thing is we're all stuck with our clubs, there's no getting out once you're in and just like us you'll stick with it. Having said that you're nowhere near dropping to our level and if you did drop a level I reckon you'd bounce back relatively quickly.

I was absolutely sure you would bounce back, so I think our struggle would be similar to yours.

Regardless what your thoughts on the way forward it speaks volumes that a quarter of the fan Base who have voted are willing to risk the future of the club if it meant seeing the back of him.

Also says a lot that only 20% want him to remain in charge for the forseeable

Regardless what your thoughts on the way forward it speaks volumes that a quarter of the fan Base who have voted are willing to risk the future of the club if it meant seeing the back of him.

That says more about that section fan base than Simon Corney...

If they cared about the long term future of Oldham Athletic they wouldnt be willing to risk its that future with no thoughts of the consequences.

Edited by palmer1

We know he's actively looking to get rid....it would be nice if he had the balls to come outand say exactly what is for sale. He won't, because he knows it will cause uproar. There's literally nothing left to sell....

We're told its a club that makes a small profit...how many clubs outside of championship make money? Can't be that many so you would think we wouldnt be a bad buy....

Edited by Fruitygoo

I think everyone who posts on here cares about the future of oldham athletic. Wouldn't be here otherwise.

But I'm more concerned about the future with him than I would be without him

I would have agreed recently but when I read people don't care about the consequences then I have question that. How can they not care?

If he walks away with nobody to replace him then we will be in a much worse position especially if they decide they wanyt everything owed back right away?

If they aren't bothered about those consequences then they either don't care about Oldham Athletic or are fools! I don't think a poll is needed to work that one out...

I would have agreed recently but when I read people don't care about the consequences then I have question that. How can they not care?

If he walks away with nobody to replace him then we will be in a much worse position especially if they decide they wanyt everything owed back right away?

If they aren't bothered about those consequences then they either don't care about Oldham Athletic or are fools! I don't think a poll is needed to work that one out...

Just to clarify a couple of points and I am not arguing for one side or the other here.

If they decide they want everything owed back right away they would not be able to get it since there is no money. It would mean Insolvency.

There is a covenant regarding the use of the ground to protect the right and the asset. OAFC Ltd has a lease.

Brassbank which bought the Land and Ground has cross guarantees re OAFC Ltd borrowings from banks.

OEC Ltd as I understand it is merely a tenant of OAFC Ltd.

The one person that would lose out most via a Liquidation/Administration would be Simon Corney. The club would also have a points deduction.

I have not voted, understandably not all options are there. I am 'content while he finds someone'. I would be gutted if he bumped the club, which of course is possible, as an act of desperation. I refuse to accept remaining in L1 during his tenor is failure.

I spent 30yrs in business, about 8 as director and 6 as chairman of a LTD company. I can easily relate and understand how difficult it is for football league owners to employ skilled staff manager/coaches/players when they themselves have little or no knowledge of sussing out the applicants reliability at forming a group of players to work together. The standard of managers in general is pretty poor, especially man-management. I do suspect that this is our major problem this season and not least Dunn's tactics on his learning curve.

Virtually every owner in the league suffers the same problem, many with devastating consequences. They are all at the mercy of LUCK with the manager who needs luck with the players he inherits and buys most of which he will not know personally. All that before the opposition try and sabotage your product.

How LUCKY are Bournemouth with Eddie Howe? An owner who is willing to invest and a very good manager who, along with his family, love the place. But we have enjoyed our share of luck and it lasted 12 magical years.

There is no doubt we are in a bad place at the moment but to call it failure to be still in L1 from a position of administration when many of our peers have plunged out of this division and beyond the next is far from a structured and informed viewpoint. Not least because in all case they are arrived at without any semblance of an alternative.

Also says a lot that only 20% want him to remain in charge for the forseeable

Don't take OWTB as representative of the fan base. It isn't.

I have not voted, understandably not all options are there. I am 'content while he finds someone'. I would be gutted if he bumped the club, which of course is possible, as an act of desperation. I refuse to accept remaining in L1 during his tenor is failure.

I spent 30yrs in business, about 8 as director and 6 as chairman of a LTD company. I can easily relate and understand how difficult it is for football league owners to employ skilled staff manager/coaches/players when they themselves have little or no knowledge of sussing out the applicants reliability at forming a group of players to work together. The standard of managers in general is pretty poor, especially man-management. I do suspect that this is our major problem this season and not least Dunn's tactics on his learning curve.

Virtually every owner in the league suffers the same problem, many with devastating consequences. They are all at the mercy of LUCK with the manager who needs luck with the players he inherits and buys most of which he will not know personally. All that before the opposition try and sabotage your product.

How LUCKY are Bournemouth with Eddie Howe? An owner who is willing to invest and a very good manager who, along with his family, love the place. But we have enjoyed our share of luck and it lasted 12 magical years.

There is no doubt we are in a bad place at the moment but to call it failure to be still in L1 from a position of administration when many of our peers have plunged out of this division and beyond the next is far from a structured and informed viewpoint. Not least because in all case they are arrived at without any semblance of an alternative.

A voice of reason.

the guy can do one for me regardless of consequences. cock up after cock up and only in it for himself and brass bank (37 votes [24.03%])

24% say this?

My 8 year old could come up with a more reasoned and coheresnt starategy than a quarter of the people voting on this.

I don't think many view being in League One as a failure, but once we go down, the journey back is going to be a hell of a long one, which is why panic is setting in now.

There's no guarantee of ever appointing the right manager, but your chances surely improve if you're willing to offer a reasonable wage to try and get the right person. This is the season where we should have been as attractive as we're ever going to be to a decent manager - a good squad (and I believe they are good..) under contract that shouldn't need much tweaking to get us comfortably into mid-table, playing the right way. Instead, we've appointed a manager who plays terrible football, brings in a load of really mediocre loans and refuses to play our player of the year from last season. Of course we need luck, but you sometimes have to make it yourself - and at the moment we don't seem to be trying to do that.

As you say, we don't seem to have any alternative at the moment - but I still think it's OK to be unhappy about way the current owners are going about things.