Is survival in League One so important?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we have managed to cling on in league 1 for near on 20 years yet if we get relegated we would be certainties for another relegation and be 1/10 yo do it?

We have played 1 League 2 team this season Mansfield who are comfortably mid table and 4 points of the play offs despite only winning 2 of their last 10, now even under Dunn we drew away and won at home, played the away game with a patched up team minus Kelly and others, are people seriously thinking we would be as poor as York and Newport? Dont think so myself and as much as we shouldn't be aiming for this its not the be all and end all, theres nothing to suggest we couldn't perform at a lower level I think everyones getting a little bit carried away with their predictions.

I think people are forgetting that the players we have now who I would say are good enough for mid table would leave and we would have mid table league 2 players coming in. Not gonna keep our best players in league 2. So we wouldn't be setting the division alight. Relegation will seriously :censored: us over.

Why would our homes crowds drop? The 3.5k that watch us now are the absolute hardcore. Twenty years of god awful existence hasn't turned them away and home crowds have not dropped in the last 4 years as far as I know.

This loyal hardcore are here till the death and will continue to turn up in the conference.

Home crowds have dropped over the last 10 years i can assure you. Work out the number of home fans per game this season and 10 years ago. Then do it each sason back once you take away the away following you will be suprised.

Yes they have fallen over ten years. No where have I said they have not. What I said is that they have not fallen in the last 4 yrs. we are down to the absolute hardcore who will turn up whatever league we are in. I genuinely believe that. Why would watching us play Newport on a Tuesday night when we are mid table in league 2 within touching distance of the playoffs turn people off anymore than the current and very longstanding offer.

Why would our homes crowds drop? The 3.5k that watch us now are the absolute hardcore. Twenty years of god awful existence hasn't turned them away and home crowds have not dropped in the last 4 years as far as I know.

This loyal hardcore are here till the death and will continue to turn up in the conference.

I's not though. we've had less, and look just now, many are staying away and saying they are not going even today. If we hover around the relegation zone in LEague 2 then we' be far, far more likely to be down to a hard core of 2.5k.

You've convinced yourself it won't be bad, but your mind is playing tricks on you! The reality could well be worse.

The reason people are not going today is cos they are sick to the teeth of our CURRENT situation. League 1 is currently drowning us.

I am not saying relegation is a silver bullet, far from it. My case is that we need to get some sort of winning feeling back into the football club to move forward.

Will that happen in the context of continued survival in league 1 where we are clearly out of our depth on all levels. I doubt it.

Will that happen by playing in league 2. Not sure but as a business, we are a league 2 outfit at best. We stand a chance of being competitive in that league and getting oldham athletic used to the idea of winning again. Winning games, at whatever level, provides the platform to rebuild momentum in the right direction.

Relegation can be the making of clubs. That's a fact. It is also a fact that it can have the opposite effect of course.

I am willing to view relegation positively in the hope that the former is true in our case. Desperation perhaps but that is what it has come to for me I am afraid.

That is the very simple point I am making. It is logical if not universally accepted.

Nope - relegation won't affect the club. Hardcore fans will still attend & buy season tickets plus most of our sponsorships are local so playing in League 1 or 2 won't be influenced as its not as if our media exposure will be affected through the drop.

Only negatives I see are prize money from FL reduced (by how much though?) and whoever owners are will concoct some justification to reduce playing budget further.

In fact if we can disassociate the club so we simply pay rent to Brassbank then the club could be owned by fans, financed by the fans, and then our fortunes rest at our feet rather than Corneys (who wishes he could just jet off away from Oldham and hide across the pond....wait a minute)

Fan ownership has to be properly explored and am not aware that it has been to date.

What FC United have done is fantastic, as are the principles which govern their operation. As much I despise them. Why could that model not work at OAFC and has it ever been properly considered?

Fan ownership has to be properly explored and am not aware that it has been to date.

What FC United have done is fantastic, as are the principles which govern their operation. As much I despise them. Why could that model not work at OAFC and has it ever been properly considered?

FC United is unique. The passion behind the sale of Man Utd to Glazers was instrumental to that - fans far outnumbering us, a lot of very affluent fans too, funded the club and they were able to finance players well above the level they were playing at. Scholes (ok ignoring the debate whether he's a genuine fan or not) as a patron would be great but he's bought into Salford.

Perhaps we approach celebrity and known affluent OAFC fans to generate interest of whether a fan-owned club is viable. Agree a long-term lease with Blitz, hopefully at no cost to us in return for taking on the running costs of the club, and allow Blitz and Corney to focus on the stand with us a sitting tenants on the football side

Early dialogue with the club would be the starting point for me. Understand what it might take to achieve and appetite to explore further the how's and what's.

Ultimately some financial backing will be needed to see it over the line but I have no idea of how much.

FC United is unique. The passion behind the sale of Man Utd to Glazers was instrumental to that - fans far outnumbering us, a lot of very affluent fans too, funded the club and they were able to finance players well above the level they were playing at. Scholes (ok ignoring the debate whether he's a genuine fan or not) as a patron would be great but he's bought into Salford.

Perhaps we approach celebrity and known affluent OAFC fans to generate interest of whether a fan-owned club is viable. Agree a long-term lease with Blitz, hopefully at no cost to us in return for taking on the running costs of the club, and allow Blitz and Corney to focus on the stand with us a sitting tenants on the football side

At the last count the city of Manchester had 170 ultra-wealthy people (a multi-millionaire is defined as anyone with more than £19m in net assets).

Our marketing manager should contact all of them, (maybe even a consortium can be arranged), by chance we might hit the jackpot, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/boom-city-manchester-has-more-super-rich-695230

Edited by BP1960

We have played 23 games and we are in the bottom 4. We are not, repeat not relegated. Irrespective of what level morale is currently, we are not relegated. The last time I looked, our fixtures were for league one. As far as I am concerned, retaining that status is what our focus should be entirely on; until such time that it is absolutely certain that we are no longer a league one team. At that point, we will be a Championship team.

Enough of the negativity already